Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hallo all and asunder! finally i can pursue my midlife-crisis to its fullest. got my hands on an AT 99 model (think its a japanese import) with 40 000 on the clock. last time i was on a bike i toured through africa for a year with an old x-military XR 500 16 years ago, no roadworthy and no license. nearly didnt make it home. now i am back in the saddle an loving every minute of it. this cannot actually be legal!
one small problem though, can someone please help! i am out in namibia, working in the desert doing elephant conservation, and there are not a lot of other AT's around for advice.
i followed the book and stripped her to the bones, checking all systems, switches, wiring, carburation etc. faulty fuel pump replaced with facet an all seems good now, ticking over like a dream UNTIL:
as soon as i do slow technical stuff with steep bumps, anything from 50cm to 2m up and down, she cuts out completely.
feels like fuel starvation but not, as pump seems to bring fuel to carb. after stalling the only way i can restart her is by opening the choke fully, letting her run for a minute till smooth, then all is fine again.
carb seems clean and needle and seat all good. installed new chocke system as chokes where blocked of. fuel cutoff relay seems to work, sidestand cutoff works fine and does not kick in with bumps. needing the choke to start tells me the airflow somehow gets cut of? is there such a cutout that could be faulty? if its another electrical/cdi problem then choking would not help?
please chaps, i am alone out here, and ANY advice will be greatly appreciated! i know little about this or any bike but want to learn, as about to take her from Namibia to Dar es Salaam soon.
thanxs in advance
joe

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Can't say what the problem with the bike is mate, could be a multitude of things (sounds like fuel pump to me initially but could be float chamber)so I'll have a ponder on that one and the others will be a long soon who are more qualified.
What I can say now though is from the kids (and me) thanks for looking after the hefalumps, will probably never see one in the wild but glad to see people are trying to make sure they're ok.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for the response anyway mate! the facet pump is for a 4 cylinder car, not sure bout the model and seems to pump enough, but does not overflow the carbs. sure someone will come along with some advice soon thought. before joining this forum i just about did all the work on my bike just from reading posts here! it always surprises me that people are so willing and keen to help strangers. have a look at Volunteer in Africa with EHRA, an Elephant Conservation and Volunteer Project in Namibia is what i do. wont go close to them on a bike though!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi Desertjoe! Hope you enjoy my neck of the woods while I'm stuck in London.

I don't know anyone in Namibia but on another SA bike forum (Wild Dog Adventure Riding - Index) there's a guy called "Superfoxi" who really knows his ATs and is super helpfull. He's in Cape Town and his email address is [email protected]

It's probably a good idea to post this same question on that forum in "The Bikes & Workshop" section.

Hope you get the bike sorted. It's a HUGE dream of mine to do the Namib/Damaraland/Kaoko on my AT.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
So..these fuel starvation symptoms and cutting out only began after you installed the Facet pump..correct?
Do you know the model # of the Facet pump and was it 40105? From our experiences on this forum that model of pump is best suited for the AT and using others due to pump pressures and flow may cause you some grief.

You seem to have a handle on things otherwise. Welcome to xrv.org.uk.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, cheers, i have actually heard of the chap in Capetown, will mail him again.
the issue was there before i installed the facet. the original pump was doing the usual thing, and i opened it up and fixed it as pescribed (it was pumping intermittently ). i installed the facet anyway, and will keep the honda pump as spare.
there is no nr on the facet, and the only ones they have here is for four or six cylynder vehicles. did speak to a mate with the same pump in CT and he has none op the problems.
i took her on a 400km trip last weekend driving at sustained high speed on bumpy gravel without a hitch. would she not rather cut out then if the pump was not strong enough?
and she does not flood, with little backfire when slow speed and downgearing on flat road.
only on bumps when steep up and down and slow. helovva frustrating!

lootch 67, you a saffa or namibian? dam, kaoko etc is my backyard where i work so if you ever want to come do it, i can take you where few have gone before....i know all the backroads in the area, so comeon!
thanx again for the advice guys

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes sorry, did not think about that one properly did i!?
that photo of yours looks like the namib dunes?
have not done serious sand yet, any advice?
cheers mate
joe

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My first thought was sidestand bouncing over the bumps and momentarily cutting ignition. Are you sure this is not happening? Forgive me if this is obvious, but have you tried tieing it in place to rule it out? If not, dodgy wiring connection getting shaken over bumps has my money. Battery and earth connections all tight? In three years of travelling backroads in Oz, nearly all our breakdowns were electrical, and most of those were connection issues. And b*ggers to trace.

See, I feel safe asking patronizing and obvious questions, because you are too far away to be worth coming over and thumping me!

Good luck

Tim

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
lootch 67, you a saffa or namibian? dam, kaoko etc is my backyard where i work so if you ever want to come do it, i can take you where few have gone before....i know all the backroads in the area, so comeon!
thanx again for the advice guys
Hi Desertjoe, I'm Namibian born and bred though I have spent 12 years in SA. Grew up on a farm near Otavi. We did a trip through Damaraland / Kaoko in 2007 but I was on a KLR half the time and the other half on a R80GS. Here's our report.
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/ride-reports-pictures/21915-middle-f-all-soft-sand.html?highlight=idmvfiss

Would love to go ride there again! It really is an awesome place. Will let you know when I'm in the area.

A friend of mine has Superfoxi's number. I'll post it as soon as I can get hold of him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts