Honda XRV Forum banner
1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Lutin 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello :cool:,

I'm a new member in this forum and maybe first one from Lithuania :] My new (also first) bike is the reason I came here:] I bought a 2005 Transalp with 15k km on it:blob7:. I have only had a a few hundred kms on it, including two drops ..oops.
So now it's a lot of snow outside and I'm trying to give all the service my bike needs, it's pretty hard as it's my first bike :]
During winter I'll try to change the liquids - brakes, coolant and oil+filter. Thinking about Motul 5100 Ester semi-synthetic(good choice?). Put some fiberglass on the inside of the fairing, because it has some cracks:] In the spring i'll ask some guys to make me crash bars smth similar to africaqueens and Grave ones.
Now I'm stuck with registering a new key. Tried maybe more than 100 times, but couldn't enter the registration mode. Used wires with 100R, 1000R and without a resistor, didn't work :] any tips ?
Do I need to change air filter ? It has some dust on it, and is that burn spot on the other side showing smth bad ?
I also broken one of my handguards, so I'll have to search for something that fits my bike and allows to put handlebar in locked position :]
I'm also worried about my clutch. When I turn the bike on while on the paddock stand, rear wheel starts spinning when in neutral. It also spins, when in first gear with clutch lever fully pressed (adjusted, that it was very hard to press the lever). And it's hard to put into gear, feels like clutch is not fully pressed. What can I do ? Do I need to order new clutch ? :confused:
And when I removed the belly pan I found two holes in the front of the engine, you'll see them in the picture. Do i need to do something about them ?

I would like to share some pics ;) https://picasaweb.google.com/v.valintelis/XL650V#

p.s. I found a present from previous owner :]] I'm not sure what is it, but it was hanging when i removed the belly pan and it's made from amber :]]

So, I am very happy to join your community ! :thumb:

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome isquared,
A couple of points. The rear will spin when on paddock stand. Unsure how there can be rust on the front sprocket, when most chain lube would cover it.
I wonder if the previous owner massively degreased the engine due to leaks! But if you've been riding it, it must have oil in :)
Don't know Motul's oils , but semi synthetic is the way to go; fully if you can afford it.
Can't help with key.
I'd be tempted to change filter if it's four year's old.
Anyway, welcome again

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum.
All rear wheels rotate when the engine is running.
I always used Semi-synthetic oil in mine with no problem.
That crack does look worrying, but if the engine is up to operating temp and there are no leaks it should be fine .
The air filter looks fine but I would change it for a lifetime filter form K&N or piper cross.
The rust on the front sprocket is unusual, it should be well lubricated.

#4 ·
What causes rotation ? Friction from oil ?
But it seems, that clutch lever is not fully pressed, when I try to put into first gear. And it doesn't sound nice :]
Well I will have an eye on those cracks. But haven't noticed any issues about temperature, or oil leaks. Hope everything is fine.
Thanks, i'll try to keep sprockets and chain lubed well to keep rust away:)

#5 ·
Torque turns the drive shaft when the engine is ticking over.
Check the free play at the clutch housing, if this is tight then the clutch cable could be under tension.
I would also look into the routing of the cable, it should be smooth.

#6 ·
The holes or slots in the front of the engine are designed in - they're to help with splitting the crank cases apart if the engine needs a re-build - you undo all the bolts and then put a soft wedge (or a screwdiver if you're not so delicate) into the slot and gently pry the cases away from each other.

I don't think the rust on the front sprocket is that unusual - chain lubricant gets flung off the fast spinning front sprocket and it's very easy for it to get dry and not protected by oil or grease. It's possible that it's the original sprocket from the factory so was never greased when it was put on. I'd suggest that you take it off and give the shaft and the splines on the sprocket a good clean up before re-assembling it (maybe replace the sprocket if it's worn). The important thing is to get the rust off the splines on the shaft and the sprocket - rust is actually quite abrasive and will accellerate wear between these parts. When you re-assemble, put some grease (or copper-grease) on the splines to help prevent them rusting in future, and use a little low-strength Loc-tite on the bolts that hold the retainer plate. You might also want to get a new retainer plate as well as they do tend to wear, which can allow the sprocket to slide along the shaft (not what you want!).

Welcome to the form too!

#7 ·
Hello :cool:,

During winter I'll try to change the liquids - brakes, coolant and oil+filter. Thinking about Motul 5100 Ester semi-synthetic(good choice?).

Now I'm stuck with registering a new key. Tried maybe more than 100 times, but couldn't enter the registration mode. Used wires with 100R, 1000R and without a resistor, didn't work :] any tips ?
Do I need to change air filter ? It has some dust on it, and is that burn spot on the other side showing smth bad ?
I'm also worried about my clutch. When I turn the bike on while on the paddock stand, rear wheel starts spinning when in neutral. It also spins, when in first gear with clutch lever fully pressed (adjusted, that it was very hard to press the lever). And it's hard to put into gear, feels like clutch is not fully pressed. What can I do ? Do I need to order new clutch ? :confused:
And when I removed the belly pan I found two holes in the front of the engine, you'll see them in the picture. Do i need to do something about them ?

I would like to share some pics ;) https://picasaweb.google.com/v.valintelis/XL650V#

p.s. I found a present from previous owner :]] I'm not sure what is it, but it was hanging when i removed the belly pan and it's made from amber :]]

So, I am very happy to join your community ! :thumb:
Hi & welcome, don't worry - everything looks fine with your bike!

I'd change the air filter - it's past it's best. The dark patch on the underside is normal it's oil vapour from where the engine breather enters the airbox.
The front sprocket does go rusty - again it's fine, no need to remove it or grease/lube the splines as this will encourage movement between sprocket & splines.
The cracks in the engine are (as mentioned) designed to be there.
Drag on the rear wheel is normal when the engine is cold, whether (with clutch pulled in) in gear or not it's just oil drag - it will stop when warmed through.
I've never tried coding my own key, a local (ex Honda) dealer tried on both my bikes & couldn't do it - went to a main agent & both coded 1st time.....
The Motul will be fine (along with any other 10/40 semi synth bike oil)

It looks a tidy bike, give her a good service & enjoy :p

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.