Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has started, I now work for the Germans.
Deutsch Bahn have just bought out Arriva.
I was expecting the new letterhead to have a picture of LV on it.:D

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Well, I'm not sure about the 'invasion' title to this thread, or what being German :hitler: has to do with it, but seems like this sell-out certainly has caused some problems. Had an email this morning from a former colleague in High Wycombe who remarked that:

Arriva have only gone and knocked off my bus! So, I'm now about 20 minutes later in the morning. OK, so I can nearly live with that, but there are poor individuals who start work 7.30 at places like John Lewis, and the factories out West near football ground, and the workers at the carehome at Downley etc, and they are only just able to do it or be late now..

Seems to me that the relentless pursuit of the market economy has left far too many casualties ... in my opinion, we need to balance the pursuit of shareholder profit with good (old-fashioned?) principles such as universal access. Thing is, even if you disregard principles of fairness and social justice, some of those folk who are doing a hard and much needed job are just going to decide, heck, it's not worth my battling to get into work for minimum wage, when I can't even get a bus, and they'll go onto benefits, which will cost the state a whole lot more than subsidising a few bus routes. ,...hey, maybe I should stand for PM and go on one of them telly debates???!

This might sound a whole lot more bolshie (or even reactionary) than is intended, but if you create conditions where it is near impossible for people to earn a living wage then of course people are going to choose the alternative. And that isn't in their interest, nor is it in the interests of those remaining in employment. Some public services ARE worth investing in, and even subsidising, and we need to consider this before everything gets privatised and handed over to the God of shareholder interest.

OK, and breathe, rant over for today.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason for the title is Deutsch Bahn are owned by the German government, this means that they have at last succeeded in getting control of some of the transport system, especially the Trains in Wales, It may make LV's entry a little less problematic.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Public transport, OMG!!! Sitting with smelly commoners on gum covered seats, stopping every 200 meters for urine smelling valley erbert to walk on and sit by you and start talking.

If I cant bike there, drive there. I always feel safer walking.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
One good thing would be Tickets please.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts