Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which ones best then?

I actually fancy a smartphone mainly for apps. I've looked at those 7inch tablets and they are too big as I need something pocketable. I like the apple interface but I'm not convinced I want to buy in to the apple thing with all the app restrictions and initial purchase price.

I like the thought of an android device but I don't want to spend a bunch of cash and find out later that I've bought second best and end up regretting it.

So which one should I go for then?

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Have a look around the pc pro website, they have reviewed both in detail. I think the htc desire is the closest apple iPhone beater, but in pc pros view the iPhone 4 is still on top.
Having had an iPhone for some time now they are very very slick and I wouldn't yet switch to anything else, but I am biased! :)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Horses for courses.
This is going to degenerate into a For and Against battle towards each marque.
I personally went for the iiPhone as I like My iMac and iPad, going for the iPhone made sense as they all use the same interface, so only one system to learn.
Look at what you really want from the phone and choose from that.
Do not let the Apps war consume you.
A certain brand of phone will suit you better than the other.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I am experimenting with android. I went for the Motorola Milestone 2 because of its keyboard - I need to be able to write emails etc. I need a machine for reporting etc. The You tube app that allows you video and upload almost instantaneously is great. My 12-year-old should be teaching me how the rest of the phone works soon too;).

I should be a natural for the iPhone, being entirely Mac (and it is an awesome bit of kit), but the flaw I have witnessed far to often with the iPhone is battery life. Because people know I have a Mac laptop they often (correctly) assume I will have an iPod charger with me and I am regularly either lending it or charging someone's iPhone from my laptop at events.

Battery life is a problem for any phone using email and apps - it is an issue for my Blackberry too and the Android phone - like an iPhone you won't get a full day of intensive use out of either.

But the iPhone is unique in not allowing access to its battery, meaning you have to find a plug in charger when it runs down. There are some clip on things too but they make it large and cumbersome.

The Blackberry and the Android phones are much easier. You charge up some spare batteries and take them with you.You have two minutes of downtime while changing the battery and rebooting.

I went to a three day festival, leaving the day after it finished, and survived three and a half days with the Blackberry on full time just with two spare batteries that cost less than a tenner, including charger.

I have the same for the Android phone. If iPhone 5 has a removable battery I'll buy one. Until then it is useless to me.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
As mentioned already, this will be a For or Against thread:rolleyes:
I purchased an HTC Desire a month ago and it works great for me.
Working in IT, I thought it best not to be a Luddite anymore.
Okay, benefits:
Very easy to connect to Exchange.
Very easy to turn off what you don't need.
At two touches of the hand, I can disable everything except phone, this gives me great battery life for what is essentially a mini laptop.
Why would I need WIFI at work when sat in front of my PC, same for GPS and Mobile network - and bluetooth.
Bloomin tonnes of Apps
I've had a brief play with Apple at work and it is a case of Your choice.
Don't be swayed by the fact that all you see out there is iPhones.
But, I canot fault the HTC.
When I get a bit more blase, I can start fiddling with the backend; something not possible, easily, with Apple.
But, if I didn't work in IT, I wouldn't mind either.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Simply iPhone -Apple know what they have and do it best as long as you join the club - if you are an apple hater forget it as it will tie you in knots. Apple works and works well because of it's control. Android is kind of geeky so who knows if the apps will work or event not affect others etc - it's a quality control thing.

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
I have a iPhone 3GS and an HTC Legend, the Legend is very similar to the HTC Desire. Personally from a usability perspective I much prefer the iPhone although it's not without if faults, the most inconvenient of which for me is the lack of Flash support in the web browser, something that is not likely to be addressed in the near future by Mr Jobs.

The iPhone is so much more user friendly, it just seems to function as you expect. At work we have recently changed over to HTC phones running Android, Legends and Desires, the amount of unintentional calls made has rapidly increased with the changeover!?? One area the HTCs running Android excel is understandably in the implementation of Gmail features, chat, push notification and so on.

Battery life seems slightly worse on the HTC that the iPhone albeit both don't last that well if using wi-fi / 3G etc. (But then they are basically mini computers so it's pretty amazing they last as long as they do.)

The iPhone also seems to be more stable, I've had a couple of crashes on the HTC, but again not a major problem. At the end of the day they are both amazing but for me the iPhone pips the Android even taking into account the additional cost.

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Just got the HTC desire hd. Only had it 2 days but it seems brilliant.

·
King
155 Posts
Which ones best then?

I actually fancy a smartphone mainly for apps. I've looked at those 7inch tablets and they are too big as I need something pocketable. I like the apple interface but I'm not convinced I want to buy in to the apple thing with all the app restrictions and initial purchase price.

I like the thought of an android device but I don't want to spend a bunch of cash and find out later that I've bought second best and end up regretting it.

So which one should I go for then?
Depends on who you are.

Having had the privilege of testing the range:

Desire > Iphone
Rooted Desire < Jailbroken Iphone

*IMO*

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Don't rule out the Nokias. I have a Nokia X6 with symbian o/s and swear by it.
As an engineer I've seen a few iphones destroyed, just not as robust as the Nokia.
I use my Nokia as a phone, internet connection, either 3g, WAP or wifi, e-mail reader, sat nav, mp3 player and, of course all through bluetooth to my helmet with the scala rider headset, Longwayround will vouch for clarity, I was travelling at high speed on the bike and he thought I was stopped at the roadside.
Nokia for me.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Hopefully the Flash support issue will disappear once HTML 5 kicks in but we a few years from is taking over Flash.

While flash serves a purpose it is not ideal and has technical issues not least it's accessibility eg screen readers for the sight impaired etc .

And one thing to think about - no one has said to me Oh! is that an Android! But they do say wow is that an iPhone 4!

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
no one has said to me Oh! is that an Android! But they do say wow is that an iPhone 4!
Marketing hype is a powerful thing. VHS beat Betamax, despite being technically inferior.

I know its not the same because I think the iPhone is the best, except the battery issue.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Quite frankly, iPhone and HTC Desire are two of top phones out there, you're going to love either.
Patching an Android is quicker, but iPhones do look sleek.
Just don't be one of those people who buys one and spends weeks then thinking of the other:rolleyes:

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
That's what I meant - I realise the folly of the hype but there is a feelgood factor here - Apple does do it well and it's a kind of club!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Forgot to mention I get a week between charges on the Nokia, another plus in my book.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all. I've had a good read and a good play and a curved ball has appeared in the shape of the HTC wildfire. It seems to do just about everything I need (abeit slower) than the other two. Screen is a little smaller which makes the whole thing more pocketable but best of all I can get it unlocked and payg for £150. All I have to do is wait till some stock appears.

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
if you do get a Wildfire Gordon let me know how you get on with it.

My Nokia 5800 is doing my head in right now and I'd love a Desire but just can't justify the cost so the Wildfire's the only other phone I was considering

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Good thread. I'm pleased with my Desire, but never having owned an iPhone I can't say categorically whether it's better. I'd suggest that when it first came out it narrowly beat the then-current iPhone 3, but the iPhone 4 moved the game on a bit.

A few personal observations:

• I find battery life is fine, usually lasting several days at a time. However I leave "mobile data" (3G) turned off except when I actually need it. I'm usually within WiFi range at home and in work. You can put widgets on the home screen to turn 3G, WiFi, Bluetooth etc. on and off.
  • The latest version of Andoid promised Bluetooth voice dial. However I can't get it to work. I did install a free voice recognition app that was hilariously hopeless at actually identifying what I was saying. I still can't voice dial from my Bluetooth headset. (Any hints about that would be welcome, guys!)
  • There aren't as many apps for Android as there are for iPhones, but most of the good ones are available.
  • I like the open-source philosophy of Android.
  • When I bought mine the Desire was a lot cheaper than an iPhone 4!
  • I do wonder if the less "trendy" Nokias are actually better than all the others put together!

·
King
155 Posts
the only difference between these two phones is the app store.

andriod don't moderate thiers as efficiently as apple.

ALL apple apps need to meet a criteria, such that they all follow the same aesthetic trend.

SOME andriod apps look like they were designed in paint.

desire runs arm processor core

apple as per usuall are running their own custom hardware and thus the os is smoother.

desire comes with FREE google maps and satnav that says road codes eg M25!

desire comes with free HTC sence for tracking a lost or stolen mobile.

apple comes with a greater sense of being part of a flock of sheep :>

Re: nokia: only nokia I would ever recommend is the N900, unless you are looking for a builder's phone.
both phones do practically everything.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts