Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was chatting to my mate’s dad, well into his 80’s but still hale, at a party over the weekend. I’d brought the AT and he was looking it over with interest. After some half-hearted stick about the dangers of biking he told me that he’d been thinking about buying a bike himself. Nothing huge but just something to go out on when the weather was good. He’d learnt to ride one in the service (he flew with the RAF in North Africa during the War) and has great memories of riding it across endless sands and through the villages there. Apart from putting 35,000 miles on a scooter when he and his wife were courting/first married, he’s never ridden one since that time but still has regrets that he never got his license. Now he’s giving real thought to it.

However, he’s unsure if a) he’s still eligible to get the bike endorsement and b) if any insurance company would want anything to do with him.

He’s still quite active and “with it”. Years ago he sailed around the world in a boat he built himself and still sails now. He also goes gliding/flying regularly. Unfortunately, I doubt any insurance company would take this into consideration.

Anybody know anything about the requirements/chances for OAP’s getting on two-wheels?

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
I cant really help with your question.. but tell him try his best.. A few years back in Tassie I met a a couple (he = 85, she=78) that where touring the world on a couple of 1960's triumphs. They are quite literally my heroes!
So at very lest tell him that and that not having a license is only illegal if he gets caught. He could always claim dementia!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every now and then I see a tiny old man riding a Honda 125 through Southampton. Gives me hope.:cool:

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
I bloody well hope age IS NOT a barrier - I plan to be doing this for a very long time.

I don't mind growing old - I just don't want to grow up !!!!

Tell him to go for it - surely it's ability that dictates - not age ..... so if he can pass his CBT/DA .......... why wouldn't he get insurance ??.

Failing that he could always get a mad CRF450 offroader, and a beer crate to help him get on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts