Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I would like the ability for the bike to start in-gear (with the clutch in). My 1998 VFR has this ability - I found it handy to be able to leave the bike in-gear with the engine off to hold on a hill when stopping momentarily, then to be able to re-start straight away by just pulling in the clutch and pressing the starter button.

On my current RD07 the bike must be in neutral to start, regardless of the clutch position.

Today I have shorted the neutral switch to earth, which allows this, but also allow the bike to start without the clutch pulled in (jerking the bike on the starter motor) and leaves the neutral light permenantly illuminated, which is a shame as I find this light a useful indicator.

I think the solution that I'm looking for required altering the logic in the starter relay, somehow.

Any suggestions?
(Perhaps it cannot be feasibly done).

·
Registered
472 Posts
The clutch switch forms an interlock that prevents starting in gear, clutch lever released. Clutch lever in should operate the switch and allow starting.

It's likely to be a cabling issue but it might be the switch.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, there was me thinking this was a design issue, but actually it's a fault!

I traced the fault to the clutch switch, it was stuck open (clutch 'engaged').
The switch was fiddly but easy enough to fix - bike now operates as desired and as Mr Honda intended.

Many thanks for all your help folks! This forum is indispensable for this type of knowledge!

Matt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts