Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rather tired and well used 2002 RD07 could well be approaching the end. It's got a busted frame, dented tank, smashed up fairings and a host of other non standard extras. 70k on the clock(s) too.

So over the last few weeks I see a lot of oil on the driveway and notice that I don't need any chain lube anymore. At the same time the transmission knocks and grinds at low revs. The chain and sprockets were replaced shortly before and were possibly a little tight for the first 100-200 miles before being slackened.

After the battery cables worked loose last week from the vibrations I decided to get a second opinion on it. The bike shop reckons it's the end for the bike - more than a grand to replace the main output shaft and bearing. How much work is involved here? Presumably I need to drop the engine to do this. What is the most likely extent of the damage? How long does a repair like this take?

I acknowledge that the bike is nearing the end but the timing is inconvenient and wonder whether there is an economical fix that would get me by for a few more months.

Any ideas or opinions welcome.

Cheers.

Matt

·
aka Oxbone :)
1,514 Posts
Doesnt sound that ultimate to me... Just need some loving care.... The output shaft is the worst part, sounds steep at £1k.... try and price up the parts first and see if somebody on hear would help out with rebuilding... dents in tanks are easily sorted if they bother you..

but..... how bad is that frame?

·
All the gear...no idea
472 Posts
70k on the clock and you are throwing in the towel. only just broken in...a bit of attention and it could be like new. Ask Anton on here, he bought a RD04 that he describes as being a shed when he bought it, look at it now, a absolute beast of a bike, and he didnt spend thousands doing it. Do a search on Goliath and you will see his bike

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
My rather tired and well used 2002 RD07 could well be approaching the end. It's got a busted frame, dented tank, smashed up fairings and a host of other non standard extras. 70k on the clock(s) too.

So over the last few weeks I see a lot of oil on the driveway and notice that I don't need any chain lube anymore. At the same time the transmission knocks and grinds at low revs. The chain and sprockets were replaced shortly before and were possibly a little tight for the first 100-200 miles before being slackened.

After the battery cables worked loose last week from the vibrations I decided to get a second opinion on it. The bike shop reckons it's the end for the bike - more than a grand to replace the main output shaft and bearing. How much work is involved here? Presumably I need to drop the engine to do this. What is the most likely extent of the damage? How long does a repair like this take?

I acknowledge that the bike is nearing the end but the timing is inconvenient and wonder whether there is an economical fix that would get me by for a few more months.

Any ideas or opinions welcome.

Cheers.

Matt
If you value your time then don't split the cases yourself. :)
Really not that difficult but it can be time consuming. I did mine a year
ago. See thread.
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12816&highlight=split+cases
Knocking and grinding is not good...but that could be from your clutch and that only involves removing the r/h engine cover.
You didn't say where the oil leak is coming from. :confused: You should pull the front sprocket cover off and pressure wash the area, then run the bike.
If it's the output shaft seal or the gear selector seal then they are easily replaced by prying out the old ones and tapping in new ones. Fixing oil leaks should not involve splitting the cases.

Sort out anything that may be out of whack under the clutch cover first
before going into the cases... and fix the oil leaks. What's up with the frame? The rest of the bike would have to be trashed (first) in order for the frame to be bent. ie. bad accident

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
What's up with the frame? The rest of the bike would have to be trashed (first) in order for the frame to be bent. ie. bad accident
Excellent deduction that man. I'm sure Matt will provide the gory details, but the bike's had a couple of close encounters with other road users. I'll see if I can dig up a recent photo...:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might have been a little more specific with the details - lots of oil coming out of the shaft seal area and lots of movement on the shaft too suggesting that the bearing has had it. Strangely enough I had the exact same problem running an Enfield Bullet back from India a few years back - lots of oil flying out of the box, clanking gearbox and ultimately a top speed of 10mph!

The rest of the bike is pretty knackered and despite the optimism in the replies so far is possibly misplaced. I am pretty sure I own the most kanckered AT in the UK possibly the World. Mr Woolley will no doubt confirm that shortly. I will get the photos on the site once I figure out the procedure! Basically the whole front end (thanks to Iain for sending one over!) was replaced in the South of Chile a couple of years back following a "big one" with a 4x4 - anywhere else and it was a write off but the nature of the situation meant a patch-up was needed and hence the bike lived on until now....

So probably the job at hand is to replace the gearbox bearing and possibly output shaft. Sounds like lots of work and expense!

Oddly enough I'm still on the original fuel pump.

Cheers.

Matt

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
I might have been a little more specific with the details - lots of oil coming out of the shaft seal area and lots of movement on the shaft too suggesting that the bearing has had it. Strangely enough I had the exact same problem running an Enfield Bullet back from India a few years back - lots of oil flying out of the box, clanking gearbox and ultimately a top speed of 10mph!

The rest of the bike is pretty knackered and despite the optimism in the replies so far is possibly misplaced. I am pretty sure I own the most kanckered AT in the UK possibly the World. Mr Woolley will no doubt confirm that shortly. I will get the photos on the site once I figure out the procedure! Basically the whole front end (thanks to Iain for sending one over!) was replaced in the South of Chile a couple of years back following a "big one" with a 4x4 - anywhere else and it was a write off but the nature of the situation meant a patch-up was needed and hence the bike lived on until now....

So probably the job at hand is to replace the gearbox bearing and possibly output shaft. Sounds like lots of work and expense!

Oddly enough I'm still on the original fuel pump.

Cheers.

Matt
My output shaft bearing was replaced for £541 all in, that was everything, including removing the engine. I rode it in and rode it home afterwards. I think if it'd been more than 6-700 quid I would've broken the bike to sell the bits and got another AT instead. It was done by Silverex Engineering in Braintree, very good mechanics.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Matt

It might be more cost effective to just buy a good secondhand engine (after inspecting output shaft etc) on eBay or from a breakers.

Slot it in, then use all the best parts from your engine, and sell whats left over.

Bob

·
Registered
288 Posts
Think I've done it. Even the rear tyre came off!
At first I though that it would be totally unnecessary to scrap a good AT with only 70k on clock but after seeing those pictures after your incident with 4x4 I'd say it may not be worth a while to spend good money flogging a previously badly injured horse.

That is unless you've totally bonded with you bike by now and don't have any plans to ever sell the bike. Even then the frame should be in good enough nick that the bike rides straight etc. There can be lots of character on a bike wearing scars from the past. Maybe buy another cheap bike to bridge the gap, and work on AT yourself taking as long as it takes..?

·
Rule thy Mind
345 Posts
At first I though that it would be totally unnecessary to scrap a good AT with only 70k on clock but after seeing those pictures after your incident with 4x4 I'd say it may not be worth a while to spend good money flogging a previously badly injured horse.

That is unless you've totally bonded with you bike by now and don't have any plans to ever sell the bike. Even then the frame should be in good enough nick that the bike rides straight etc. There can be lots of character on a bike wearing scars from the past. Maybe buy another cheap bike to bridge the gap, and work on AT yourself taking as long as it takes..?
i agree ---never scrap a bike that still has a bit of life left no matter how bad -------i should know ---cos iv'e rebuilt some right sheds in my time

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
you can rebuild it then call it steve austin:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :D

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
It's really difficult to see how it would be worth salvaging that bike. Cut your losses and get another I say. Just stay away from the 4x4's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts