Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across a cheapy TA yesterday so went and had a look. Now Im looking for something to give me a days riding on a sunny day and the TA is what I seem to keep whittling it down to.. although I know there are others.... a decent Dommie would be ok also. Road bikes are out as the CB just plain killed my knees after an hour.. pity as the engine in a CB500 is just fabulous.
So ,I digress. This TA was a fair bit scabby.. side plastics were held together with tape and screws... ok I thought as I could wait for better to come up on e bays and searching breakers and do that cheaply. But then it came to swingarm and rear end in general. I guessed the bike had been left outside for most of the past 10 years and the swingarm was rusty. The rear shock/spring was just scabby as was alll the linkage. strangely the frame that you could see wasnt too bad and the wheels didnt have any rim rot just the spokes were rusty.
With this in mind the lowest price I was given was 750 to take it away... he wanted 1k !!! I rekoned 600. It was also on a Q plate as the engine was a different one although ran very well.
Worth a punt or no??
Obviously some of you know what Im like but sometimes needs must as I want to do as my Father wished some day soon also.. which is to ride out to Spain along some of the routes he drove home along through his most scenic paths that he told me many stories about. Something also Im not sure a Dommie would be ideal for.
Its either that or sell the KTM and just go for a bike that has so far eluded me an @ ???

·
Stone Crazy
5,316 Posts
avoid that sounds more like £200 spares or repair to me mate, you would need to spend so much getting it back too scratch for a decentride it will be better to spend the money on a good un first

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Agreed: walk away...

Look for a nice 650, perhaps.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
It sounds like a complete money pit. £300 would be more like it considering how you'll probably need to replace every bearing, caliper seal, brake piston and then find that the rims have rotted from the inside and need doing too. Walk away from that one Phil. Besides, with that much work needed, you'll get bored with it before it's even remotely finished ;)

·
Registered
756 Posts
I was in similar situation looked at dommies and alps then bought @ twin :D go for it Phil they are worth bit extra , they just seem more :D try one you will see what i mean :thumbup:

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Phil you know what you're like, you wont be able to help yourself and before long you'll be spending money on it hand over fist to turn it into the bike you really want, save yourself the time and money and buy an AT mate.........you know you want to!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha well one of them will have to last for a while hey!! Had in my head more than £300 would be needed so I guess walkin away yesterday was for best. For once I had a sensible head!!! Dont think I would go for a 650 as they seem to be fetching such money that would be better off getting an @. The 600 is still one of the best boring bikes I rekon money can buy so will see.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
As it's a 'Q' reg I say walk away, not worth the hassle. Don't be in a big hurry Phil, the right bike will come along.

Plenty of decent 600's still around.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Phil

Take the advice given before. The 650 is way more comfortable than the CB500.
What damage di it do to your knees?

Graeme

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Phil

Take the advice given before. The 650 is way more comfortable than the CB500.
What damage di it do to your knees?

Graeme

Oh I know from previous about the 650
The Cb500 was just too small in the leg area since Ive had surgery on my knees, as with pretty much all road bikes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts