Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Dommie engine the same as the XR 650 engine? I seem to remember my XR being much more powerful than the Dommie I have now. Although I rode the XR500 back in the 80's and my Dommie is a 97 model (Import). I love the Dommie engine but just want a tad more grunt. I want it to lift the front wheel in second without me giving myself a hernia or changing the sprocket sizes.

Any advice willingly accepted.

Thanks again. Ben

·
Registered
98 Posts

They will wheelie. XR650R and XR650L are different bikes. "R" has a water cooled engine and is a monster. The "L" is yes, the Dominator engine and quite tame. It would be nice to have both. I have the XR650R,

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I wondered about this myself a couple of days ago while ogling xr 650l 's on youtube and suspected that they would be pretty similarall right but I wondered about cams compression carb and gearing . I find myself very drawn to them of late I imagine their power to weight ratio would be most pleasing :D

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have an NX650 RD02 1988, for an old bike they still perform very well, but the earlier ones made better power than the later versions.
Completely different animal to the XR650R but the fact that the same engine is still in use even today makes it one of the most successful engines.
1988 to 2015 is a long time to have an engine in production. SLR, FX, FMX, XR650L, NX650 all use the same basic engine but there are differences in power between them largely cam and carb related. The compression ratio is low enough 8.3:1 IIRC and it hasn't changed much.
If you want to go mad there are any amount of High Comp pistons and valves and cams and exhausts to fit if you so desire.
Mine came with a Supertrapp and I have since fitted a BMC airfilter and removed the snorkel.
If you want big power then look at an Orange bike but they won't be as reliable as the RFVC or as easy to service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts