Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am thinking of grabbing a Go Pro for movie making, has anyone got a Go Pro and is it any goos for bikes? Ive read so many great an then bad reviews I am so confused!!!!

If anyone has links to their footage or just a general review I'd be grateful :D

Cheers all !

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've got the GoPro3 and am happy with the quality. Not posted any footage as never get time to edit it. Wear one on top of my helmet and plan to mount the other looking rearwards.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
GoPro seem to be the camera of choice for professional users. I looked at them but ended up with a Midland. Main reason was the presence of indicator status lights and on off switch that is easy to operate.
You can see plenty of examples of the output quality on YouTube.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys :D Some footage looks amazing by the manufacturers, but in the real world its good to hear what users actually say :D Accessories make the kit a little pricey, but I will have a look around on eBay etc - cheers :thumb:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
the generic camera sj4000 or what ever is much cheaper option to buy but a no all techno snob informed me to be careful buying from china from aliexpress.com or even some e bay sellers from china as they can be a clone of a clone and the quality can be hit and miss . the sj4000 is not as good in the shadows and when left on tumble dryer . look for comparison videos on youtube . I hope to someday own an action camera myself but its way down the queue for the money the bills keep stacking up behind me :lol:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the generic camera sj4000 or what ever is much cheaper option to buy but a no all techno snob informed me to be careful buying from china from aliexpress.com or even some e bay sellers from china as they can be a clone of a clone and the quality can be hit and miss . the sj4000 is not as good in the shadows and when left on tumble dryer . look for comparison videos on youtube . I hope to someday own an action camera myself but its way down the queue for the money the bills keep stacking up behind me :lol:
I wouldn't buy from China or any Euro website as I had my fingers burnt with Pixmania years ago. Thanks for your reply, I do agree its not at the top of the list, but the it keeps creeping up there :thumb:

·
Timid biker
186 Posts
I use a Sony HDR-AS30v actioncam. I'd say that the stabilisation is slightly better than on the GoPro Hero 3 that I tried a couple of times before, but I'd give the nod on colour saturation and contrast control to the GoPro. The Sony would also benefit from an external microphone because it's a bit noisy even inside the waterproof case. Here's some video with it attached to my helmet (using a GoPro-alike mount that I saw on the Techmoan site article about motovlogging).

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use a Sony HDR-AS30v actioncam. I'd say that the stabilisation is slightly better than on the GoPro Hero 3 that I tried a couple of times before, but I'd give the nod on colour saturation and contrast control to the GoPro. The Sony would also benefit from an external microphone because it's a bit noisy even inside the waterproof case. Here's some video with it attached to my helmet (using a GoPro-alike mount that I saw on the Techmoan site article about motovlogging).
Thanks for this, nice footage :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should rather consider Drift Stealth 2 or Ghost. You'll pay less and have almost the same or even more, because Drifts are better adjusted to be action cameras. They are sleek, small (especially Stealth) and aerodynamic, not such cubes. I use Stealth when I ride motorcycle and it's perfect for that.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should rather consider Drift Stealth 2 or Ghost. You'll pay less and have almost the same or even more, because Drifts are better adjusted to be action cameras. They are sleek, small (especially Stealth) and aerodynamic, not such cubes. I use Stealth when I ride motorcycle and it's perfect for that.
Been watch 'The Baron', Mr. Von Grumble seems to be happy with the Drift set-up. Been looking at the Osmo but perhaps too delicate - but love the 'gimble' idea that gives much smoother footage.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought a Gopro Hero a month ago for about £80. It's a bit of an experiment so I wasn't keen to spend more. The Hero is the basic model but is easy to use, big on/off button, flashing red light when filming, reasonable battery life and you can also film with it plugged into a USB on the bike. It has the usual very wide angle lens which gives some odd perspectives (steep tracks look flat!) but means everything is in shot. There's no screen on the camera so you have to line it up on the mount by guesswork. More expensive Gopros have a screen.

The main problem I've had so far is the free Gopro Studio editing software crashes a lot - maybe just my computer, but it's frustrating and wastes a lot of time. I'd be keen for recommendations on better editing software (especially if it's free!) It's very easy to upload stuff to Vimeo once you've edited and converted it.

There's my first little film here http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-twin/138234-exploring-around-southern-alps.html

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a Go Pro Hero on my helmet. Decided to buy one after seeing several accidents (just happened, bikers down) and one very bad accident first hand. The final straw was some idiot who stepped in front of me when cycling. I hit him right in the side hard. Luckily we were both OK, however I thought a camera would be a good idea to use as a witness in case something happens again.

In the summer in good light the camera is amazing, even the basic Hero model. I have since purchased a Hero4 Silver but currently use the Hero. Reasons are in the current conditions, riding to and from work in the dark the camera can be a bit crap. Its OK on main roads which are well lit but on back streets with little lighting you wont pick up much.

For the price of the Hero, about £90 I don't think you can go far wrong. I have even taken it on holiday, use in the pool etc. The official Go Pro vids are heavily edited in post production (so I hear) I have never got as good a footage but some of the summer vids have ben really good. People have commented on how good the footage is when they come over and I bore them...

I haven't had much time to mess with the Hero4, the footage is better but not necessary for general riding, plus the better footage takes up a fecking lot of space.

Also used the camera on several cycle rides mounted to the bike, again good footage.

I have not had the other camers mentioned so cant comment on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts