Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
nunquam scienter utilis
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the VARADERO as we know it now is gone, done, over with. the assembly line was taken down in spain ( where they were made for the last couple of years) and moved to italy. if you think HONDA is investing that kind of money to re set up the same assembly line you are wrong. there will be a new bike coming out of italy. it might say VARADERO on it but it will be a much different bike. that's what the market is demanding from honda. it would be better financially for honda to just end production than to continue with the same bike.anyone in europe who wants/ wanted one got one.they ,the european market wants something new . the VARADERO IS A GREAT BIKE, but like the africa twin it has ran it's production
Just seen this on another site - is this true? I know there has been talk/speculation over a new vara, but this (if true) does sound like the end of the road.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Just seen this on another site - is this true? I know there has been talk/speculation over a new vara, but this (if true) does sound like the end of the road.
it was coming, they wouldnt sell many of the rumoured new 1200s if you could have a 1000 for half the money. what i dont understand is the bit about "thats what europe is demanding"? who is? im certainly not. while i would consider a more powerful, lighter, better looking bike as a replacement for my varadero when the time comes, the new 1200 isnt it. it also has to be as good VFM. if they price it like they have the VFR 1200 honda have lost a customer. makes a 1200GS look good value, and by the time im looking for a replacement hopefully BMW would have got the vibes out of the otherwise excellent 800GS and i could downsize a bit.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Honda have said they have a new adventure bike coming soon.
Could this be the first bike to come from the new factory?
They may have stopped production in spain and set up new machinery in Italy for the new bike.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I believe this originates from:-
www.advrider.com
The Varadero has not been available in USA and has only recently been marketed in Canada. ADV rider forum has had many negative posts about the Varadero, based on heresay. They rate the V-Strom very highly.:confused: However as the number of Vara owners over there is on the increase the comments reflect what riders on this side of the pond already know.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
I believe this originates from:-
www.advrider.com
The Varadero has not been available in USA and has only recently been marketed in Canada. ADV rider forum has had many negative posts about the Varadero, based on heresay. They rate the V-Strom very highly.:confused: However as the number of Vara owners over there is on the increase the comments reflect what riders on this side of the pond already know.
i have a varadero, my mate has a v-strom. to ride there is hardly anything in it, the dero is a bit better put together and smoother, the strom has i tiny bit more go. weve both got oem hard luggage and the honda stuff is top quality but only 35ltr strange shaped panniers that fit under the exhausts, the suzuki panniers stick out further, are a little bit mickey mouse but handily shaped and bigger. to ride on the road these differences are nothing, so anyone who can slag off a dero but love a strom and vise versa is talking out of their ring peice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
it was coming, they wouldnt sell many of the rumoured new 1200s if you could have a 1000 for half the money. what i dont understand is the bit about "thats what europe is demanding"? who is? im certainly not. while i would consider a more powerful, lighter, better looking bike as a replacement for my varadero when the time comes, the new 1200 isnt it. it also has to be as good VFM. if they price it like they have the VFR 1200 honda have lost a customer. makes a 1200GS look good value, and by the time im looking for a replacement hopefully BMW would have got the vibes out of the otherwise excellent 800GS and i could downsize a bit.
Of course there's a great demand for the 1200's, with all the tech stuff and shaft drive. What I don't get is why every bike brand seem to think they have to be exactly the same? The GS has it's followers. We now have the "new" Tenere that is, in general terms, roughly the same bike. Does the world need a third 1200cc two-wheel-SUV? If honda makes an adventure-version of the new VFR, both Honda, Yamaha and BMW will fight over an increasingly smaller group of customers. The only segment that will grow from this effect is the one where KTM 990 A is the only contender (KTM 990=less money than the GS-category, fairly high enduro factor, good poser-value (for the ones that like to appear as if they have recently been driving through the Sahara) and reasonably priced accessories).

In my opinion, a customer who really wants a GS-type bike but in the end wants to save the last few £ for a pannier kit and whatnot, will go for the KTM rather than the 800GS or the Transalp (just my general opinion). Also, if someone wants to get involved in the 1200-high-tech-adventure-race, I would hope that the new contender made such a special bike that the older contenders look... well... old. I would certainly not paint the bike blue, fit the largest silencer in the world, and make accessories that seem to be made for another bike than the one they are marketed for.

Since I've already written a larger post than anyone care to read, I might as well also give my opinion on what I would have liked Honda to do. Just update the Varadero, for god's sake. Keep it on a chain drive if it keeps costs down. Do a similar update to the cockpit like Honda did with the CBF1000 (adding a fuel gauge of sorts, maybe some more goodies to the computer). Make some differences to the fairing just for the sake of it. Do something to the engine to make sure the bike-magazines have something to rave about. Nice :)

[Edit] In fact, they could even do an "adventure" version of the updated Varadero with a heavy duty skid plate, better ground clearance, driver seat height adjustment, spoked excel-style rims, Honda original crash bars with aux lighting and aluminum panniers. Still it would not cost as much as the GSA at list price without accessories.

Well... I guess I'm wrong and that this explains why I don't work at the development department of a bike manufacturer :)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
+1

... If honda makes an adventure-version of the new VFR, both Honda, Yamaha and BMW will fight over an increasingly smaller group of customers...
It's not a smaller group, they'd be fighting for a share of a relatively large group.

If the Vara in its current form gets dropped, inevitably owners will mourn its passing in much the same way as AT owners do. Right or wrong we have to admit we represent a relatively small number of potential customers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
+1

It's not a smaller group, they'd be fighting for a share of a relatively large group.

If the Vara in its current form gets dropped, inevitably owners will mourn its passing in much the same way as AT owners do. Right or wrong we have to admit we represent a relatively small number of potential customers.
I agree that the segment is fairly large. What I'm saying is that this segment is unlikely to grow further. Offering something inbetween the 700/800:s and the 1200:s would be wiser than putting another 1200 on the market. However, one thing that Honda could easily do is to make the 1200 (if we agree upon the hypothesis that the next generation of Honda Adventure will be a V4 1200) look waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the Yamaha counterpart, and with that taking the Yamaha-part of the market share... not counting the Yamaha-diehards. What they won't do is keep the price tag down. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the BMW is likely to end up looking like the best buy from all angles... even cost-wise. And the GS has been around, evolving, for a long time, now sporting the HP2-tech boxer and offering gzillions of first grade accessories from all the best brands.

...or maybe there are thousands of customers who have never ventured to the 1200-segment just because they specifically don't want a boxer or parallell twin. Maybe a Honda V4 Adventure tech-bike will attract vast numbers of new customers to the segment. The phenomena has been around for ages in the around-1000cc-sports bike area and everyone seem to do ok. I guess a fair comparison would be that the KTM will stand alone in the middle just like the Suzuki GSXR 750 does, and I have no idea if the mid-segment-GSXR sales are high or not...

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
if they bin the 1000 in favour of a 1200 of whatever engine configuration then i wont be interested. for a start, it'll cost too much, and it'll be over the top for what i want.
i would be interested in a 990 adventure, possibly a 1200GS, or leave the adventure bike genre completely. they simply arent enough bike for the money. or too much money for the bike.

the gsx750r is a good seller, as are the 600 and 1000. in fact if you speak to the gixxer crowd those in the know would say it was the best of the three.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Of all the marques I have had the Honda has always been the most reliable.
if they remove the current Vara for one with a bigger engine then I will start considering the PAN or the Gold Wing.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Sorry Stumpyfingers, but not for me, the Pan and the GW are just so far off what I want in a bike. I might be more tempted to look at the CB1000GT though. Then the Suzuki Bandit would come into the picture and then it hits me,,,, would I buy a Mondeo estate? Em, no.
Yamaha Super Tenere 1200? Damned right I would!Honda 1200 Varadero? Possibly, need to see it. Ducati Multistrada? Well, it's a damned sexy bike!
When the time comes I need a replacement for the mighty Varadero I'll shop around and find something that inspires me more than a Mondeo estate! :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts