Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time at doing a chain and sprocket change and I'm paranoid that I have not done it properly.

Are these riveted enough?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Twenty seven views and not a single comment surely someone has an opinion!!! Looking at it from the PIC it looks like the lhs one is ok but the rhs needs more riveting

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Obviously, looking at a pic, it's hard to judge completely, but I'd say that looks OK.

You probably found that it needed quite a bit of force to get the sideplate on, and it doesn't actually need much more effort, when using a good tool, to peen the pins over enough to stop that side plate ever coming off.

I think you're OK.

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to take a link out as I have a 43 tooth rear sprocket. After riveting up the chain I stood up and spotted an o ring on the floor... The shear horror until I realised it was from the link I removed.... I hope hahaha. Looking at the PiC I definitely have four o rings on ... Don't I?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I did a link for you for the tool and a video of how to do it! Can't see the X rings in that picture. It flares the rivets inside. Looks ok to me.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used that video thanks for that. I've had two chains snap on me in the past (I didn't do either of them) so I'm a bit over zelous

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If you bought the tool in the link I showed you then you can't go wrong as it's designed for DID chains. Simply tighten it as much as you can then back off. The tool is designed so that it wont over tighten the plate or squash the rivets too much. Sometimes less is more ;)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I bought the tool from wemoto, just worried about over tightening after shearing my fork bolts and sprocket retainer bolt, but also worried about a chain disaster as they rarely end happily

·
Registered
31 Posts
To prevent all this i decided to go for a prepped (endless) chain. Disadvantage is that you have to take the swingarm off. Bit it's not that much work, and you can check and grease the bearings in the process

1 - 9 of 9 Posts