Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just wondering if this is for all Guzzis - I have a 1995 Sport 1100 and am happy to chat and share experiences tips and such like

Angelo

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
welcome angelo all guzzis are cool mate i would love to hear your experiences of ownership as one day i can see myself on one :thumbup:

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I got one (Sport 1100) because I saw one new many years ago but it was too expensive and well, a bit nuts really - I had a Honda Blackbird at the time - still there was something about this red ballistic tractor called a Guzzi that I liked, oh yes and it was italian and red and mean and grunty and shaped like a ...... well I could go on.

Anyhow some 13 years on I found one on ebay!!! Still £1500 is cheap enough for a bag of Guzzi bits except this wasnt a bag of bits but a good one with a couple of things to sort out. Like it had and upside down fork conversion (this early one had standard forks on production - carb model) - no crash damage etc - staright but with convereted forks - Showas -it looked good but I could not get my head around the handling. I have a 1300 Pan, and Africa Twin and an old 500 Triumph but this was not like any and it felt as though it was goimng to tuck on all the bends - the faster you went the better it was but hey got to have some sense eh!

Anyhow a mate of mine tried it loved it and went out and bought a newer mint 1000 Sport Corsa - parked next to each other I noticed his was higher - well the front was by 40mm - oh yest the forks on mine were 40mm too short !!! it is as if you dropped the forks in the yolks by that much - oh I must be such a good rider !! ha ha

Then I tried his - sheer bliss, grunt and handling (Fuel injection helps, mine has 40mm Delortos builds arms like Garth to ride I tell you - those arent carb springs they are an exercise machime!!!)

So I went back to mine and pondered over the forks - how could I extend them etc. To cut a very long story short I ended up buying (from ebay) a set of Paoili Forks from a Laverda 750 - the right size (length) loads of adjustment and the Brembos etc fitted - the Yolks and spindle were a different matter so with a friendly machinist (£10) spindle sorted and then a cut and very well made plug weld the yolkes were sorted (thanks Hywel favour due)

Now I have a fully sorted Sport 1100 with some unusual forks - it handles and looks great and the Showas I had before had a Carbon Ducati 996R Front mudguard which has fitted staright onto the new forks.

Next Job is a carb strip to see if I can sort out a bit more low down power - it is so highly geared and as it is the early one has staright cut gears and a twist throttlethat required more than one handful to open it right out.

I am now thinking that perhaps this is not the forum for this bike but hey I own and absolutely love my Africa Twin so perhaps you will accept my literary indulgence !!!

Cheers

Angelo

·
17,680 Posts
Well I got one (Sport 1100) because I saw one new many years ago but it was too expensive and well, a bit nuts really - I had a Honda Blackbird at the time - still there was something about this red ballistic tractor called a Guzzi that I liked, oh yes and it was italian and red and mean and grunty and shaped like a ...... well I could go on.

Anyhow some 13 years on I found one on ebay!!! Still £1500 is cheap enough for a bag of Guzzi bits except this wasnt a bag of bits but a good one with a couple of things to sort out. Like it had and upside down fork conversion (this early one had standard forks on production - carb model) - no crash damage etc - staright but with convereted forks - Showas -it looked good but I could not get my head around the handling. I have a 1300 Pan, and Africa Twin and an old 500 Triumph but this was not like any and it felt as though it was goimng to tuck on all the bends - the faster you went the better it was but hey got to have some sense eh!

Anyhow a mate of mine tried it loved it and went out and bought a newer mint 1000 Sport Corsa - parked next to each other I noticed his was higher - well the front was by 40mm - oh yest the forks on mine were 40mm too short !!! it is as if you dropped the forks in the yolks by that much - oh I must be such a good rider !! ha ha

Then I tried his - sheer bliss, grunt and handling (Fuel injection helps, mine has 40mm Delortos builds arms like Garth to ride I tell you - those arent carb springs they are an exercise machime!!!)

So I went back to mine and pondered over the forks - how could I extend them etc. To cut a very long story short I ended up buying (from ebay) a set of Paoili Forks from a Laverda 750 - the right size (length) loads of adjustment and the Brembos etc fitted - the Yolks and spindle were a different matter so with a friendly machinist (£10) spindle sorted and then a cut and very well made plug weld the yolkes were sorted (thanks Hywel favour due)

Now I have a fully sorted Sport 1100 with some unusual forks - it hadles and looks great and the Showas I had before had a Carbon Ducati 996R Front mudguard which has fitted staright onto the new forks.

Next Job is a carb strip to see if I can sort out a bit more low down power - it is so highly geared and as it is the early one has staright cut gears and a twist throttlethat required more than one handful to open it right out.

I am now thinking that perhaps this is not the forum for this bike but hey I own and absolutely love my Africa Twin so perhaps you will accept my literary indulgence !!!

Cheers

Angelo
MAYBE ! i dont know much about them buy hey its still a cool bike and its always nice to look and read about somthing different:thumbup:

now get your camera out and show us some pics:D:D:D

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK should be there now as a link - for some reason I cannot embed it - I could before musta done something wrong.

I am near Carmarthen

Angelo

·
17,680 Posts
OK should be there now as a link - for some reason I cannot embed it - I could before musta done something wrong.

I am near Carmarthen

Angelo
now thats a sweet bike:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
307 Posts
:cool:

Hi angelo,

That is a gem of a bike mate, I know how you feel as having been a guzzi man myself in the past and will be again in the very near future I love them, take care and enjoy.

BIG D

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thought you might want a short update.

Still got the Guzzi - I did the carb strip and found that the accelerator pump springs were both damaged and clogged up so a repair kit was procured and fitted - what a huge difference - now power all the way from 2000 rpm - such a different ride. Also I have replaced the collector box with a stainless cross over - this has definitely improved the power output and the bike seems smoother and pulls more cleanly - exhaust note is a little louder but as I am on the standard cans it is not too loud (I would love a set of carbon cans for it)

It's not been ridden too much this year as I find the position a tad uncomfortable for more than 100 miles - it is very much a summer Sunday bike.

Gets loads of attention wherever it is parked.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

not just me on here that want's something different

:blob:

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Stelvio looks nice. I have a few bikes including and Afica Twin and a Pan European ST1300 but the AT is the favoured - the Guzzi is a bit of a passion and very odd to ride.

I sat on a Stelvio a few weeks ago but did not find it comfortable for me compared with the AT - I was disappointed with that as I have been tempted to swap the Pan for one.

My Guzzi is one of the early Sports and so it has the huge carbs and also the straight cut gearbox - clunky and noisy. I don't know why I ride it really but then again I do!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
OK..I'm out...I have a thing for Guzzis too. :headbang::love5: Owned two over the years, a Cali 3 and a Cali 1100 (prefered the Cali 3 ) May buy a Stelvio if funds permit in the future as a two up bigish trip bike...the Transalps though are lifers, they stay; best do everything bikes I've ever owned.:thumbup: Anyone else fancy a Stelvio, any info on them; NTX better ??

Cheers
Potski

1 - 16 of 16 Posts