Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Varadero Explorer
237 Posts
Where does it say its FI on the ad?
Its the 5 gear, non ABS model, carb. They changed late 2003 (I think)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
You are right. It's a mark 1 which as you correctly state has a 5 speed box.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Horrid colour scheme IMO, but one heck of a lot of bike for the money. If it was Blue, I would be on the phone in the morning...

Does the new seat lower the position a bit?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
From the Honda Varadero web site;

"For 2003 the Varadero received some major changes. These included the move to fuel injection and the addition of a 6 speed gearbox and a new dashboard. These changes benefited the model with better torque and fuel consumption."

So is the dashboard indicating it is the 5 speed version. :confused:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
yes it does but thats def a 5 speed carb model, you can tell by the different screen style and the black plastic front indicators. from '03 they have different front bodywork, lose the 2 tone paint, gain an extra gear and Fi.
it could still be a '03 or even '04 reg, thats just the year it was registered. its the model designation that tells you what it is, eg mine is a XL1000VA6 which means 2006 with ABS, the first Fi's would be V3.

it might not be that the dealer is pulling a fast one, they might not even know theres a difference or they might have put on one of ebays famously inaccurate generic library descriptions

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I agree with Davsato. The carbodero has a different-shaped fairing from the injectadero. So this one has the old five-speed box and is probably a V2 but registered in 2003. (it happens. Mine's a Va4 registered in 2005.)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
How many times have we seen adverts like this with inaccurate information.
It is up to the buyer to ensure they are getting what they think.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's my old bike....PX at Chester Superbikes 2 weeks ago for an 09 Vara. it was a good bike for me and I has 7000 genuine miles. It has had a new rear tyre, a gelpad custom seat, a custom screen and passed it's MOT a few weeks before I got rid of it.

I took the hugger of and left it with no chainguard...!!

If you are thinking of buying it I would carefully check the rear suspension cos I was just about to replace the rear shock due to spring sag. Cranking up the preload made very little difference and the bike sat very low and was really difficult to get on the centre stand.

Apart from the rear shock issue it never ever let me down!!

Contact me if you need more info.

Ta

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
so there you go then, info from the bikes last owner so you can tell if the dealer is trying it on.
no idea if £3.5k is a good price or not, but its a genuine 7k miler and at worst needs a £300 hagon shock and a £60 hugger (or one of those alloy chainguards off ebay)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got £3K PX for it so I guess the price is pretty fair..the seat alone was £300 from Custom Seats in Coventry and the rear tyre was supplied by me brand new as part of the deal.

Hasn't been serviced since April 2009 but only did 900 miles that year

I bought it if of a fireman in Perth for £5,350 with 4k on the clock in 2005, he had it from new....a bit ashamed of those facts...LOL

Ta

·
'06 Transalp
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I got £3K PX for it so I guess the price is pretty fair..the seat alone was £300 from Custom Seats in Coventry and the rear tyre was supplied by me brand new as part of the deal.

Hasn't been serviced since April 2009 but only did 900 miles that year

I bought it if of a fireman in Perth for £5,350 with 4k on the clock in 2005, he had it from new....a bit ashamed of those facts...LOL

Ta
Thanks for the info Bluemoon. I'm in two minds whether to go for a Varadero (lovely, big, comfy V-twin + bigger running costs) or go for a V-strom 650 (step up from my 600 Transalp but lower running costs compared to a Varadero). I test rode a wee-strom last weekend (from Saltire Suzuki). Fantastic bike and I'm sure it would serve me well but I didn't come off thinking 'I MUST have this bike now. Where do I sign!!'
I mostly use a bike for commuting (all year round) plus the occasional tour (UK and Europe). Is a Varadero over-kill for a 25 mile round trip every day?

cheers
Rob

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
...I mostly use a bike for commuting (all year round) plus the occasional tour (UK and Europe). Is a Varadero over-kill for a 25 mile round trip every day?

cheers
Rob
It does it for me! :thumbright: At least one can use a Honda all year around. Not convinced a Wee-Strom would remain in good nick after a winter on salty roads. I agree that the Wee-Strom is a cracking ride though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am hardly the one to comment about 'overkill' for small mileage...I only put 3000 miles on that one in nearly 5 years.

I used it to drive across to Manchester from Leeds for football matches during the season and 2 x four day trip with.
a mate to Skye in 2008/2009 (going again in July on the 09 I PX'd it for)

If you want a super comfy (custom gel pad seat), bulletproof, pretty quick and grunty with a 'big' road presence then it's Vara all day for me.

I am super biased though as I have only ever owned them and this latest one is my third.

Go in and comment on the spring sag (point to the low position & difficulty in putting on centre stand as proof) and see if you can get them to replace the rear shock or do a deal and get it changed yourself if you are serious.

Good luck!

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Is a Varadero over-kill for a 25 mile round trip every day?

cheers
Rob
my commute is 3.5mi each way, varadero overkill? of course it is. would i give it up and buy a more sensible bike? no chance

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well as we now know the history of the bike it sounds like a good un. Last year I paid 2400£ for a 2001 Vara in excellent nick with 15k on the clock.
Plus, hugger, alarm, baglux, crash bars, top box and Scorpion exhausts which add up a fair bit by themselves.

So as for price, its at least a yard mark...

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
or.......you could buy it, negotiate a minimum of a hundred quid off the selling price and have the shock refurbed for £100 by these guys??

HONDA XL1000/XL 1000 V VARADERO SHOCK ABSORBER REFURB on eBay (end time 08-Jul-10 20:59:32 BST)

Anybody used this refurb facility...I have no experience with these guys but I have to say it sounds pretty good in principle.

Waddayathink anybody?
ive never heard of them but thats not surprising, ive never looked into having a shock refurb. £100 sounds reasonable, they have good feedback and give a 2yr no quibble warranty, which is what you got with the original from honda so i see no red flags so far.
hagon, ohlins and most other suspension makers offer refurbs too. its also the ideal time to uprate the spring if your a pie monster like me or are planning a big trip loaded up, or some off roading

·
'06 Transalp
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
or.......you could buy it, negotiate a minimum of a hundred quid off the selling price and have the shock refurbed for £100 by these guys??

HONDA XL1000/XL 1000 V VARADERO SHOCK ABSORBER REFURB on eBay (end time 08-Jul-10 20:59:32 BST)

Anybody used this refurb facility...I have no experience with these guys but I have to say it sounds pretty good in principle.

Waddayathink anybody?
I think it probably needs a new spring if it's a bit saggy. Just a shock rebuild wouldn't be enough.

cheers
rob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts