Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a clear out of my phone and I've come across a couple of people who are no longer with us. :angel5: Why am I finding it so difficult to delete their name and mobile number?

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Very sad that.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Dont delete thier names ,it will haunt you for doing it.
My Mum died last year and I checked the answer phone and found a massage she had left for my Dad I just could not delete it,it would have felt like I was deleting her so it stays

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
It is very sad but you have to let go at some point. Delete them now, it will be harder in the future.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It is very sad but you have to let go at some point. Delete them now, it will be harder in the future.
I am with Austin, time heals all wounds but by being constantly reminded, you are making it harder to heal the sorrow.

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
and found a massage she had left for my Dad I just could not delete it,it would have felt like I was deleting her so it stays
Heart

Head

For me it would be heart every time:(

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
I used to be a housing manager and from time to time we would get a new resident who had moved out of the old family home having waited until they just couldn't cope anymore. Without exception, once they were settled in they realised that they still felt the presence of their long-dead spouse, their memories still held them secure.

Stuff is stuff. Things are things. Hanging on to things and stuff can clog up your life and leave you only with the memories of the person you had recorded. If they meant something to you, they will wander into your thoughts from time to time whether you still have their number or not.

:)

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
I used to be a housing manager and from time to time we would get a new resident who had moved out of the old family home having waited until they just couldn't cope anymore. Without exception, once they were settled in they realised that they still felt the presence of their long-dead spouse, their memories still held them secure.

Stuff is stuff. Things are things. Hanging on to things and stuff can clog up your life and leave you only with the memories of the person you had recorded. If they meant something to you, they will wander into your thoughts from time to time whether you still have their number or not.

:)
yeah, agree with this. My brother in law died suddenly, unexpected and far too young 18 months ago. We were friends on facebook. Every time I visited the site, his 'ghost' friend visited me too . I couldn't bring myself to delete him for a long, long time. But when I did, it meant I could use the site again without so much pain. And instead, now I remember the good things about him, and when I want to rather than when I am forced to. I don't feel any less love for him, but it is a positive thing rather than a negative thing.

The thing is, hitting the delete key will only delete a bit of programming code in a bit of hardware. It is the memories in your heart (and in your head) that will stay with you forever. And they are priceless.
Of course, it is different for sound recordings (like voicemail) and photographs - they are true 'historical records' and should be preserved for as long as possible. But as just that - records of a precious memory of a much loved human being.
All very easy to say, and hard to do, I know. :(

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
a work collegue died some time ago and i could not bring myself to delete his number.
some six months later my phone rang yes it was his name on my phone, no i couldn't answer it.
it turns out some in-sensitive pratt at hq had issued his old sim to someone else.
i would now delete any numbers under similar circumstances.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My mom passed away on monday just gone, on tuesday my dad called me from her mobile, my heart jumped into my mouth when i saw the call from "mom" on my phone.

I changed the number to "dad" immediatly after.

Having said that, i still have the number for my best friend Elaine, she passed away 2 yrs ago.

I've been no help really have I?;)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
No help to anyone regarding this issue but hopefully may help to explain the actions of some people regarding death, as it has very little effect on me I'm afraid. :confused:
I mourn the loss like most people, but only for a short period of time. Death is death to me. I've witnessed it pretty much up close and it leaves me cold I'm afraid. I do appreciate other people's feelings and will always accomodate them but as for me personally, I just move on.
I'd delete the numbers mate, I usually do.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Tried to write comments on this several times, but each time bottled it and deleted rather than post.

20 years ago my best mate was away for the weekend, (I was meant to go with him, but decided not to bother at the last minute, Actually an argument settled it and I refused to go) on the way home he was in a car crash and died. I've spent many nights wondering why I wasn't in the car, What events led up to the whole weekend, why did he still go etc etc and I've played the million different scenarios through my head a million different times.

The only advice I can give you is do whatever you want, nobody can tell you what is right or wrong, because there is no right or wrong. you will do what feels right for you at the time, on occasion you will look back and think you made the wrong decision, at other times you will look back and think you did the right thing. whatever you do will end up being the right thing for you.

Hope that helps.

(Personally, keep the number for now, You obviously haven't made up your mind)

Cheers,
Axe

·
Registered
398 Posts
My mom passed away on monday just gone, on tuesday my dad called me from her mobile, my heart jumped into my mouth when i saw the call from "mom" on my phone.

I changed the number to "dad" immediatly after.

Having said that, i still have the number for my best friend Elaine, she passed away 2 yrs ago.

I've been no help really have I?;)
Hi,

Just seen this thread,sorry to hear of your recent loss,wish you and your family healing thoughts and prayers, :angel1:
God Bless,

Tony K

1 - 17 of 17 Posts