Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bearing in mind I am leaving on Sunday for 4 weeks in Morocco......

About 2 miles from home heading for work yesterday - 60mph, gentle but bumpy left hander and I felt two brief stutters on the bike and then suddenly BANG BANG BANG BANG clatter clatter from the back wheel. You don't me to tell you all the stuff that went through my mind in an instant. As I pulled up I looked down to see the chain guard at right angles into the back wheel. When got off it looked worse both pointy ends more or less in the wheel.

What had happened was I hadn't closed my top box lid properly and a light insulated jacket I carry in there had escaped, got tangled in the wheel/sprocket and dragged the chain guard with it. As I said, could have been so much worse.

Anyway I unbolted the chain guard which was almost U shaped and put it to one side thinking about how I could get a new one in two days, post strike and all that, could I go to morocco without the guard, etc. I dragged the tangled remains of my jacket from the wheel which took about 1 minute and when I turned round the chainguard was miraculously straight again - honestly I just straightened out the bracket it slides onto on the swingarm and it just bolted back in place. The only damage was my jacket and a missing injector tube from the scotoiler. But, as I said it could have been so much worse. A lucky escape.

Roll on Sunday.... 4.00pm ferry at Plymouth, 2 days through Spain, and then the scary bit - Moroccan customs. Bring it on!!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Lucky escape, hate to think what would have happened if something had got dragged right into the gearbox sprocket!

Have good trip in Morocco. Been there a few years ago. Only advice would be try to avoid riding at night at all costs!

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Somebody up there is looking after you Austin !!

I hope they stay with you throughout your trip.

Have fun , you lucky lucky man.

Big trip report and hunners of piccies when you return??

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
Wow what luck!
Have a fantastic trip and post pics, route, etc. on your return please :)

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
safe trip dude!

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want to call in here on the way past to Plymouth, I have spare scottoiler injectors.

You're welcome to them.

Just drop me a PM
Thanks mate :thumb:, but over the years I seem to have collected more Scotoiler spares than I know what to do with. It was sorted that night.

Hopefully lots of pics, but I am rubbish with a camera - I went on a two week hoilday in the summer and didn't take a single photo:( . Mind I have new mobile phone with a camera now so probably a bit more to hand.

Route is all a bit vague at the moment - I have maps and guide books and a sort of a list of places that I think I might like to go to. I will firm up where I am going in the morning before I get there:scratch:

My only deadlines are the ferries from/to plymouth and meeting wife and boys at Marakech airport on the 17th.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts