Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time to retire my front brake disc.

It was custom made for me by some guy in Germany. A full floating 320mm disc in high quality racing steel. Combined with a modified supermoto adapter set from HE Motorradtechnik and a four-pot Brembo off an 1100 GS, it's allowed me to do stuff I wouldn't dare to do on the original very inadequate R100GS front brake, which is of the type "squeeze with both hands, and eventually you'll stop". ;-) Things like long steep downhill stretches (Lynmouth comes to mind at 25%) on a fully laden bike are so much more comfortable if you feel like you still have the ability to stop on them. :mrgreen:

Here it is brand new, just mounted:

It's been a good companion for the past 5 years and it's done just shy of 50.000 miles.

Not even worn all that thin yet, it's just that the aluminium floaters are getting a bit loose and chattery and I can only stand so much axial and radial play in a brake disc. ;-)

Its replacement has just been ordered. All new and improved, now with steel floaters it should be even better, good for at least another 50k miles.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someday soon I'm going to wash this thing, I promise. ;-)

I kinda can't avoid it any longer given the utterly horrible mess that leaky fork seal has made of the bike while in Scotland...

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That took a while longer than expected.

Anyway: The old and the new:

The result:

And somewhere in between, the grim reality of having a steel disc on an aluminium filler piece, after 5 years out in the weather:

That thing was STUCK.

Ended up using the GS as blunt force, stuck the wheel back in without bolts, pushing it forwards and then hitting the brake to get it to come loose.

One does need an empty parking lot for this, as when it eventually does come loose you've got 200 kg of no-brakes GS on your hands. :D

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Nice one Michel. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best

1 - 6 of 6 Posts