Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
oh she is a sexy bird no doubt about it . i hope your not the jealous type cos any where you take her fellas will be giveing her the eye :cyclopsani: well wear with her . you will be getting plenty teenage kicks on her . i bought a cherry red 400four in 1988 i was 18 at the time i couldnt even sleep the first night i brought it home i parked it outside my bedroom window and i keep siting up in the bed to look out at it . it was my first big bike and no other bike since had such an impact on me . i hadnt rode one for over 20 years untill a couple of years ago a friend of mine bought a mint one in yellow . i had a short spin on it and it was a little beauty to ride . i would love to have another one in the shed agin for old times sake . my friend rides the stones out of her one i have a job to keep up with her its a flyer :blob6:. when i was 12 the 400four was the bike of my dreams there was z1000's z 650's 750fours lc350's the lot but the 400four was perfect in my eyes . a great thing about them is the low seat hight and lower weight than the bigger bikes of the time puting them with in reach of people of smaller stature . the 350four are a nice bike too but no where near as pretty as the 400four .

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
525 Posts
What a great bike, a real classic, it looks to be pristine. I love their style but never had one...had a couple of 550K's though, and still have a 750K6.

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
That's in lovely condition.

I never really warmed to these but I bought a 550 version in California, identical to this one and really enjoyed it.
Much preferred the american style bars to the lower european version.
Course I had a helmet...it was on the rack...:rolleyes: :cyclops:

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
No doubt I am a heathen but it does nothing for me. I can see it is immaculate and all that but as a style of bike it does not move me.

I'd say it was like flares - and you either wore them and hoped they'd come back in fashion or you didn't (and I didn't) - but it's actually not even that because flares was a statement against the mainstream and this bike, to me, is mainstream. It is a great example of one but there were lots of bikes all quite similar.

Thinking about it, Harleys are like flares - a definite statement against mediocrity but embarrassing when you look back on yourself.

Adventure bikes are drainpipes. And dirt bikes are like drainpipe jeans and Doc Martens. When you look back at those fashions you still think "damn that was a cool look".

*Runs and hides*:D
Chris, Chris, Chris these are utterly delightful little bikes & this one looks like the pick of the bunch.

I have fond memories of my 400/4 f2 - it felt so wrong yet felt so right to bounce a 30 year old bike off the red line, yet the thing begging for more :D

Different bikes have a personality all of their own that goes far deeper than "does it look like an Africa Twin" :rolleyes:

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, finally got the chance to take her for a run, not a decent one by any means as the weather's totally crap so between downpours managed to get half an hour on the backroads.

Fires up first prod of the starter or kick if you're so inclined, not kicked a bike in years but being a Honda 4 rather than an AJS single my shins survived. :D

Silky smooth little engine, needs it's neck rung but just revs out so easily, gearbox snicks easily into place, no false neutrals, can't wait to take her a decent run at the weekend and head down the coast.

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
What a find, takes me back to my youth when I used to race my mate who had one of those but in dark blue,back from the transatlantic to the pub.
I had the RD 350 and its a wonder we lived to tell the tale.
Last one back to the pub got the ale in.....lol
Them was propper bikes .

·
Ex seagoing truck driver
357 Posts
I think I may have peed my pants looking at those pics. Ah, incontinence and excitement, not happy consorts at my age!

Hopefully the pedants will have a go at the above!:thumbup:

·
Stone Crazy
5,316 Posts

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts

·
Stone Crazy
5,316 Posts
The picture makes the Z and TDR look better than they are really , but the RD,s i restored myself from barn finds, Oh and there is another TDR and another RD 400 in bits in that shed

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Always fancied a tdr - the first bike that I looked at with a view to buying. After being pillion on said bike I realised I'd probably kill myself.
Do bought an xt350 (& hated it) :confused:

Still like the idea of one though ;)

·
Stone Crazy
5,316 Posts
Umm yes , I cannot be responsible for my actions when i get on that, it presses the lunatic button as soon as you kick it into life , but is so light and flickable , oh and has DEP tailpipes now as well, even hairier

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It's interesting how certain Jap bikes are really starting to gain a following which is reflected in their availability and pricing, the little 400/4, the RD's, the Suzuki water bucket as examples but at the same time there are bikes out there which while not iconic can still put a smile on your face and are a trip down memory lane.

This for example :D

Something about those Jap 2 valve fours, they certainly don't make em like that anymore :iconbiggrin:

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Now that looks like it's suspiciously outside your house! surely not another added to that huge stable of yours? beautiful looking machine though :D

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
That bike was just resting in my garage :p

I'll eventually whittle the numbers down to more manageable level, things would not be so bad if I stopped researching these things, I blame the internet I do ;)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I found a GS 550 in germany that had been under a tarp for 20 yrs coz the owner had died and it had only 8000 km on the clock, I nearly wet myself when the dead owners wife asked for £300 for it.
Stuck a new battery on it and cleaned out the tank and carbs and it fired up and purred like a pussy cat.
After two days polishing it looked as fine as yours does and it was a great bike for three years until I sold it.
These things only come along once in a while.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts