Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok then, i'll be first with a proper owners post :iconbiggrin:

Call me feckin stupid/dumb/brave whatever - who buys a Ducati with no service history - ME :confused:

Checked the bike out last week, and it fired from cold on the button no problems - engine sounded sweet as a nut. Decided my maximum bid and stuck to it, and won the bike for £700 :thumbup:

Took the train up to Norwich this morning, then Taxi to sellers house, exchanged paperwork/readies, got togged up and nervously proceeded to ride home. First stop was to fill it with fresh petrol, as its been standing for a while, then take it easy thru Norwich to build some heat into to the tyres and get used to the odd handling - 16" wheels rear and back.

Kept the revs below 6000 all the way home, as i didnt want to risk twanging the belts - she rode really well and even tho its was pissing with rain (again!), I really enjoyed the ride home :blob3::blob3::blob3: What a sweet bike :toothy7:and the motor has PLENTY of grunt - even tho its only the 750 (of vintage 1989 with 16500 miles).

The plan is (i think at the moment), to do my best to restore it to as near as possible to mint/original condition, as its such a sweet bike - it would be a shame for me to chop it around too much - and even tho its not a real classic, i think its got great potential :blob4: LOTS of cleaning/sourcing parts and a good service will do it good. In the pics it looks good, but needs some cosmetic attention here and there. Anyway, heres some pics:

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Polish it, cherish it, mount it on the mantlepiece and drool over it. Just don't ride it... because it will break, along with your heart. :p

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Polish it, cherish it, mount it on the mantlepiece and drool over it. Just don't ride it... because it will break, along with your heart. :p
that is soooo true just like a beautifull woman:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice buy Anton :thumbleft::cool::cool::cool:

BUT,...........KEEP ORIGINAL,.....NO MODDING ???........YEAH RIGHT :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
you guys know me too well :toothy8: Its already in a 'number' of parts !

Its got crappy little 16" wheels front and rear, which are a B---h to get tyres for, so i'm about to undergo tests of alternative 17" wheels :toothy9:

This is probably going to be my most ambitious project to date !

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think ive really lost the plot this time - must be listening to that Disturbed stuff :D

Early days, but here (i think) is project SUCATI (WTF?) - rgv 250 fairing just about bolts straight on :eek:

The Ducatisti are gonna hate me for this :sign6:

My mind is imagining projector headlights, and either 851 or SRAD seat unit, some funky exhaust system and a kick ass paint job !

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think ive really lost the plot this time - must be listening to that Disturbed stuff :D

Early days, but here (i think) is project SUCATI (WTF?) - rgv 250 fairing just about bolts straight on :eek:

The Ducatisti are gonna hate me for this :sign6:

My mind is imagining projector headlights, and either 851 or SRAD seat unit, some funky exhaust system and a kick ass paint job !

OH OH YOUR GOING STRAIGHT TO HELL FOR THAT:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

comon anton dont **** about bolt a longer swing arm on and some white power suspenders:D:D:Dducati has needed an adventure bike for years:D:D:D

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A quick update on some new progress:

This was where i got to at end of last year and then stopped due to lack of time / funds:

Cut off redundant footrest hangars (its gonna be MONO :cool:) Fitted a GSXR SRAD single race seat that i chopped 1" out the middle of - thought it looked good, but over the winter and into the new year thought NAH - looks s--t !

Had a big clear out of the garage and shed and sold a load of stuff on ebay, with the end result of a load of dosh to spend :thumbleft:

Then got inspired by some pics of a Radical Ducati and some of the older bikes, and decided to get cracking again : started last Sunday, and made my own 'mold' from 1mm thick aluminium sheet for the seat pan and bum rest, then some fine galvanised wire mesh - cut and bent it into shape of roughly how i wanted it then covered it in gaffa tape.

Started laying on sheets of fibreglass, and after a couple of layers let it dry and it came away easy :blob7:

Some initial pics where i'm filling and sanding the glass :

Then with the spare cash i had, got some new exhausts and nuberplate light. Id already bodged up some link pipes which will be wrapped in heat cloth when finished. The cans are just held on with my reliable friend gaffa tape :thumbup:

This side needs some more trimming and finishing yet:

Still LOADS to do - im gonna be busy :p

·
Austin's Son
190 Posts
Looks nice, I like

Although the new rear square section looks a bit tall.. but I guess with a seat it will look shorter. It would suit a single swingarm too...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts