Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, im getting seriously out of hand on the ta. This is not good. Night before last I had a woohooo :shock: moment on my way home at 2:30amand not a wayhayyyyy :D . Bike went round the tight corner :shock:.Bike was upto it, but my skills and bottle werent. In the darkness I was 10-15 mph up on what I normally do. You could see where my arse had been gripping the seat. About 50 is comfortable but 60-65 at night is scary.

Then yesterday afternoon / eve on the way to work I get the givi crashbars scrapping. Ive come to the conclusion you can get some outrageous lean angles with the ta on sticky rubber.

As a trusted m8 on here said, it gonna end in tears, so got to slow down and behave. As a reminder though, Ive got a photo im going to get laminated and put in the fairing of the wife and my 3 year old lad. They expect to see me come home.

Question is did I ride like this in the 80s?(18 year rest from bikes) Thats scary thinking about that. The TA on them dunlops is pretty damned astounding. Just shows what an acomplished bike the ta is as well.

Paul

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I hear ya!

I managed my first, and hopefully last two wheel skid through a cross roads on Tuesday night. I was using the GPS to prompt me, concentrating on riding, I must have missed the give way sign.

Saw the give way road markings far too late to stop and ended up in a "speedway slide" into the junction. Luckily the road was clear. :?

Muppett

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Yes I think we all need a good reminder to cool-it now an again.

But I don't think any of us drove like that in the 80's (or indeed the 70's if your as old as me), because the tyres were sh*te back in them thar days when we were lads . Dunlop TT100's and Original Avon Roadrunners were as good as it got back then.

I know we can't fit them to the TAs, but modern tubless radials , like the Bridgestone 020s or Metzlers I used to fit to when I had the Pan European are just the dogs danglies.

Modern suspension and better frame design has also transformed motorcycling for the better.

A lot of old gits like me get sentimental about the old days - CRAP I say - we have never had motorbikes as good as they are now .

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
we all have days like that every now and then I wonder what has posessed me to ride like I have after a scare or 2 i usually give myself a serious talking to and cool it.

Last week took a corner a bit quicker than I usually do and discovered that all my motorway riding has squared my tyres so twinkletoes handled really baddly definately an arse twitchy moment

·
51 Buell X1 & 89 Tenere
292 Posts
Cie said:
I hear ya!

I managed my first, and hopefully last two wheel skid through a cross roads on Tuesday night. I was using the GPS to prompt me, concentrating on riding, I must have missed the give way sign.

Saw the give way road markings far too late to stop and ended up in a "speedway slide" into the junction. Luckily the road was clear. :?

Muppett
There is a stretch like that on the A229 near marden (i think) , just in case anyone is there, its ok if you don't hit any of the 2 way traffic, there is a duckpond just at the end!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Having had a few scary moments over the years, i now have the motto "Arrive Alive" which i try to stick to :)

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
when I was a bit younger, but not that young, I rode an RD350YPVS (best bike I have owned) but the problem was I used to think I failed somehow if I let a car (well anything actually) overtake me AND if I did not do 100+ mph everytime I went out - which was a lot, AND if I did not get the stand down at least once a day.

I think I am getting better now - but one day I WILL get something on the TA to touch down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Austin said:
I think I am getting better now - but one day I WILL get something on the TA to touch down.
Whats really sobering, i was'nt going for it, was'nt late for work. Just pottering on. Told yer them dunlops rock. :D I never once got anything scraping back in the 80s, bar a sump guard on an xt600 in greece 2 up. None asphault road :shock:

Paul

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
modern bikes and tyres are ace , but don't over do it :twisted:
The wee bandit has BT020 fitted and no chicken strips... great tyres

The ALP has TCK80s fitted ( still in Stella set-up) and I am amazed how sticky they are, ( interesting at large leans with knobbles), nice with the BT45s fitted too

Even the mid 80 DR is a peach with good tyres..

Will be interesting to ride my BSA Starfire & road rocket again.. bacon slicer wheels with plastic tyres and a cable smaller that the alps clutch, gently pulling some dated friction material against cast iron... that should remind me why I ride the new stuff more...

Its not speed the does the damage its the short stop..

( I broke my knee at less than 10mph!! its on the mend by the way and will be on the bike just in time fro the snow :-( )

So enjoy.. but dent get too silly

Raymo

·
Registered
62 Posts
Austin said:
when I was a bit younger, but not that young, I rode an RD350YPVS (best bike I have owned) but the problem was I used to think I failed somehow if I let a car (well anything actually) overtake me AND if I did not do 100+ mph everytime I went out - which was a lot, AND if I did not get the stand down at least once a day.

echo echo echo echo.....

They were an awsome little bike! Max speed = 135mph, Min speed = 135mph

But now they have things like speed camera's and cops with speed guns, and well living in NZ the roads are much more interesting >:)

Recently I re-read a few books (by keith code) and then I have been putting it in to practice before this weekends 1000 miler. I did 1050km's (650miles) and well... the cop's didn't see me, but did their cameras???

What is even better, I didn't have any surprises :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts