Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will keep this post updated with the latest position and news - a single source of the truth about this event. Changes will be highlighted in italics and colour. Latest Edit 10/07/10 at 13.30

The Scottish forestry commission have just given me permission to lead a group of Adventure Motorcyclists along various forest roads in the Galloway Forest Park. At 300 square miles GFP is the largest forest in Britain and I have mapped over 80miles of off road routes across several areas of the forest all linked by metalled roads. Some of the detail of what SFC have agreed to is still to be clarified but I thought I would kick this off straightaway. The fee for this access is £5 per bike plus a one-off admin fee of £100. They also want to limit participants to 25. Get in early!!! The fee will initially be £10 per bike. If numbers drop below 20 I might want a small supplement of £1 or so as I don't want to be too much out of pocket. If there's a surplus I will pay to Help for heroes.

I have given certain undertakings about the format of this event, how we will conduct ourselves and so on, all specifically designed to show that we are a responsible group who will not abuse the privilige being given to us. If this goes well it could just be the start of something really good for XRV as it may open access to other off road areas for us to enjoy our bikes in the way they were designed.

Galloway is a real gem of an area - the countryside and scenery is spectacular, the roads are excellent for bikes and generally very quiet. I will try to ensure the meet up takes advantage of all this.

The general outline is to camp at loch Ken activity centre. Today, 16th June I have reserved camping pitches for around 20 people (I have paid for 2 nights for me which acts as the deposit for everyone else). The campsite also offers bunkhouse accommodation, lochside wooden cabins a Tipi and a Yurt. As at 17th June they had 2x2berth babins available; 1x4berth cabin, and the Yurt. If you want to reserve one of these for your own use do so directly with the activity centre but quote my name - "Austin Winckler" so they link the bookings. The camp site also has a secure room where we can leave luggage and stuff on Sunday morning. I will be arriving the the campsite at about 1-2pm on Friday 13th.

For the ride through the forest I plan to start later on Saturday morning to give people who don't camp Saturday time to arrive. Followed by a packed lunch in the forest, more riding in the afternoon and a return to the campsite. Sunday morning finish off a few trails, lunch in the forest, and then head home.

The forest trails are mostly reasonable quality fire/logging roads and any of our bikes should be fine on dual sport tyres (but bear in mind what I said about Piel Island and 5 people managed to drop their bikes there). The longest trail I have mapped is 16.5miles; the shortest 4mile; the majority 7-10miles and all go deep into forest, up and over hills, valleys, fords etc etc.One of the committments I gave was about speed - top speed 30mph - this is for the safety of other forest users and a risk management issue. I met the responsible forest ranger at the beginning of July to review some of the routes and have a drive round them as well as go over the rules.

I will pay the entry fees when I visit but will require prompt reimbursement - if you commit to taking part in this by putting your name down in the calendar and you are still in it at the beginning of August you will owe me some money at some point, even if you pull out. You can send me a tenner with you insurance (see next para) or give it to me at the event.

We need to be able to demonstrate that we have adequate third party liability insurance. Your normal bike insurance should cover this and the Scottish Forestry Commission have asked for sight of copies of all participants insurance certificates. Please post copies to Austin Winckler, 40, Croston Road, Garstang, PR3 1HR and I will forward to the SFC.If your forum name is loads different from your real name you had better help by giving me clue who you are. If you dont want to send a copy of your insurance to me for some reason then you will need to bring your insurance cert the SFC offices in Newton Stewart at 3-4pm on Friday 13th August (I should be there then too).

Will update / add as I firm up plans and ideas.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Re: Off road in Galloway Forest Park - 14/15th August

The forest trails should be be mostly reasonable quality fire/logging roads and any of our bikes should be fine on dual sport tyres
Nice one Austin, definately up for this. Regarding the trails, I take it from your post that they should be suitable 2 up? I did a few miles last Sunday 2 up on some deeply rutted muddy moorland track and found it hard going. Forest tracks should hopefully be a breeze!!! :thumbright:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Nice one Austin, definately up for this. Regarding the trails, I take it from your post that they should be suitable 2 up? I did a few miles last Sunday 2 up on some deeply rutted muddy moorland track and found it hard going. Forest tracks should hopefully be a breeze!!! :thumbright:
Don't really know as I haven't been down them. The first few hundrd yards of the start and finish of the ones I looked at looked ok.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts

Don't really know as I haven't been down them. The first few hundrd yards of the start and finish of the ones I looked at looked ok.
No problem, will give it a go 2 up anyway. The wife should be used to pushing / pulling / bumping me out of trouble by now.

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts

Me, me,me.

I want to play if that's possible :thumbup:

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts

Hi Austin .. Good on you for organising this.. I have put my name in calendar section .. in for sure .. Let us know what we need to do next .. money wise when you have got that info ..

I have not done any track stuff on my transalp .. but I will have to learn sometime ...

:thumbleft::thumbleft::thumbleft::thumbleft:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
me me me me ( just to go one more than steve T :blob: )

have addde name to Calender will make sure bike has non slick tyres and a few more grab handles to assist with self righting :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'd like to get an early .... I'm in too ... bid.

Good Job Austin :blob: :toothy3: :D

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
I wish I could make it up there but well done Austin for sorting this :thumb:

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Can't really put my name down for this until I know for sure I'll have my bike back..........I know I should but sods law says as soon as I put my name down something will go wrong :(

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I'll say preliminary in.
I'd need to see the planner at work and hopefully no plans for the isles. I'd hate to miss out on this!

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I'm tentatively going to say yes, but it all depends on finances and a few current family issues.

Hope to confirm within a few days.

Bob :thumbup:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I plan to visit the forest ranger on 1st July. Who ever is in the calendar on that date (up to 25) is "in" and expected to contribute to the fees.

But I would like to book the lodges and tipi At the camp site sooner. As soon as there is a critical mass I will book the tipi and a couple of the cabins. If numbers rise I will book more if they are still available. The tipi is massive and has fire hearth inside, matresses and stuff inside and probably can sleep more than 6. The cabins are next to it and together create a nice sociable area with a BBQ and another fire hearth. There's tables and stuff and I think they said sounds could be organised too. Should be ok for a bit of a party but the campsite is not licensed itself.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh Russ/DC has knocked up a sticker. It will be about £1.50. Assume that's ok I need to DC to post it up as I can't do it from an iPhone.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Any Porcini mushrooms there? yummy... steak sliced, fried in coarse corn flour with a dusting of sea salt..........

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Yummy, time to play.

Please let us know after your recce what tyres we need!! I am guessing that Summer forest roads will be fine on pretend off-road rubber and a Tourance will suffice... :)

Have to dig out the small gearbox sprocket again!

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Oh Russ/DC has knocked up a sticker. It will be about £1.50. Assume that's ok I need to DC to post it up as I can't do it from an iPhone.

Tada!!!!..................Obviously I wont have earned the right to wear one of these until I stop crashing and falling off :(

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From what I have seen so far tourance and the like will be fine. I will probably do this on the vara with conti trail attacks.

1 - 20 of 254 Posts