1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there has been somewhat of a mutiny of late

A few people got disgruntled with the way the forum was run

Which lead to a new ship setting sail!

This forum has been going a long time now and the wealth of information on here is overwhelming!

There are numerous international members with new members joining all the time

Ultimately people pop in and out of forums depending on there circumstances but everyone comes back to good 'old XRV

This is the first forum i joined and i have learned lots from the kind and knowledgeable folks on here!

Hopefully i might of even helped some other people who needed it

So lets not get caught up on all the VS BS and just remember 'its what we make it!'

Let the XRV spirit live on!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Here here, this was my first bike forum and you are quite right in it's what we make it, I will remain here at least whilst I still have my Africa Twins:thumb:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Here here, this was my first bike forum and you are quite right in it's what we make it, I will remain here at least whilst I still have my Africa Twins:thumb:
For me too it was the only forum i was an active member. I've joined others then found the help is not usefull the people know everything about everything except any thing you want or need to know so i was happy with this forum. However i now spend more time on the new forum now as i got fed up with the way the Americans were running this one so the newer and hopefully better option is where you will find me.
As for the wealth of information mention on this forum, you'l' still find it on this website as there can't be many questions unanswered by now about Africa Twins

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
This too was my first ever forum and I do not want to see the back of it, It will always be the No1 resource for all things Africa Twin and Trans Alp.
It is however a different place to what it used to be from a community perspective and thats what we're trying rekindle in bigtrailie, It's certainly not to drive the downfall of xrv, I will continue to frequent this forum just in a different capacity (no longer an admin) for reasons well documented and it won't be to ply for trade either.........
Bigtrailie is very young and is still lacking in the very fabric which makes xrv great (the techinical data that has accumulated over the years for example and also it's history) hopefully bigtrailie will become as useful a site in the months/years to come so long may they both survive

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
492 Posts
This forum has been going a long time now and the wealth of information on here is overwhelming!
Very true....I joined a while ago essentially for the XRV techy info which has been extremely useful and it's always nice to reciprocate when possible. It also seemed a forum with decent people on it, unlike some other bike sites where egos seem to rule. But, TBH, I'm not really interested in internet banter that much. I did, however, enjoy the real banter on the TLDs of the distant past....
For me, the new owner issue hasn't been an issue and the ads don't worry me at all. So, I'll be remaining as long as I have Africa Twins (which will probably be until I throw in the towel).

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Very true....I joined a while ago essentially for the XRV techy info which has been extremely useful and it's always nice to reciprocate when possible. It also seemed a forum with decent people on it, unlike some other bike sites where egos seem to rule. But, TBH, I'm not really interested in internet banter that much. I did, however, enjoy the real banter on the TLDs of the distant past....
For me, the new owner issue hasn't been an issue and the ads don't worry me at all. So, I'll be remaining as long as I have Africa Twins (which will probably be until I throw in the towel).
All this talk of advertising upsetting people!! I don't get any on either my PC or ipad, what am I doing differently and I'm no way a techie ( I sell door handles me!!) if that is even the right term?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
That will be forever then?
I estimate that your current stock will keep you rolling way in to the late fifties. :p

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Only 3 at the moment, used one yesterday with my 10 year old son through a ford, we both got covered in water and he thought it was fantastic!!:thumb:

I have to sell one Kjell to make room for a new AT early next year......

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Yeah, morning Bob:thumb:

Just sat here staring at your avatar, class:thumb:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
its my favourite forum by far and its been so helpful to me . shortly after I bought my transalp a cdi went I hadn't a clue what the problem was . I posted my problem and with in a couple of hours I got the info I needed . then my wheel got chewed up when a wheel bearing collapsed . a member offered me a wheel . great bunch of people on hear except for me im a proper **** :lol:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes. I agree with the "staying" crowd. Lots of info and help here so why fix it when it ain't broke. I too am not troubled by superfluous adverts. This is by far the best Forum I have encountered and will be sticking with it. There's a lot worse out there. For instance, when I had my Bonneville, I subscribed to a largely American forum which descended into such a pile of puerile pap that I bailed out. Juvenile doesn't even begin to describe the crap that was being spouted there. So it is refreshing to log on here where there is a great sense of humour laced through all that happens, and a real sense of commiseration with the poor souls who encounter what we call "mischunters" (bad stuff). Be grateful that this fine Forum has the integrity that others lack, along with an ability to laugh at oneself. I value intelligent input as well as enjoying the lighter side. VIVA XRV.org ! Les

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
I've been a member here on and off since the beginning, seen many, many changes over the years and try not to get involved in the b itching.
Jamie is right in his opening post but there's no reason the two forums have to clash.
Viva xrv, Viva bigtraillie (although can't get on the latter at the moment since the server change)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I'm a member of ABR, XRV and Bigtraillie... I visit them every day in that order. ABR is a "general" bike forum but seems to have gone down the toilet a bit lately. XRV is still the "Main" forum I use as I obviously own an Africa Twin and this is the best forum by far for info on these bikes. Bigtraillie is new and as a lot of XRV'ers went over I thought I'd join that too, more for the same people rather than to abandon this forum. I will always be coming in every day as long as it stays active. So you haven't got rid of me yet. :lol:

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Iv never had any issues with adverts either, maybe its my combination of extensions i run to block them!

I like the concept of Big Trailie but iv never had an issue with VS, i just don't sub anymore :)

My XRV sticker shall remain on the bike :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I'll still be here too

My first forum and have made great friends, had great times and got some useful information

I don't get that many adverts

I am on other forums but don't have the time much these days to frequent them

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
As Paul said above.
Think we met whilst getting "lost" at our first National at Dent ( we were travelling in opposite directions at the time :confused::D )

I try to spend some time on here, Big Trailie and ADV Scotland. but time is limited during the week :(

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I had no idea about the new owner business on here having been away from the forum for a bit... However, for me, this forum has been a huge help.

Both when I first thought about an AT, and again now that I'm looking at coming back, this time with a Vara, the amount of info and help on here is amazing:thumbup:

Also, I'd never have kept Alfie on the road without this forum, and he'd certainly not have gone to such a good home(even if it is Wales:toothy10:)

As to the ads; well I haven't really noticed any! There's one above this now as I write for some kids something or other, but just like Faceache and the other stuff with pop-up ads, I've learnt to tune 'em out....the power of advertising eh? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I won't be subscribing, but at the same time I value the forum too much to desert it, and will support both the new and the 'old'

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have to say as well, thoroughly enjoyed this forum. It has been the first forum I every sign up to, and I received much help and encouragement here.
It will remain my go to site, besides the german FAT forum, which is excellent as well, if you are fluent in german :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts