Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All....Another speedo cable buggered up...When i park up i put 4 padlocks on the discs either side of the calipers...Two year ago some nice kind person tried to move the bike at the Southend shakedown and put raised edges on two holes on each disc...took a while to find and fix them...it was making the pads lift and rattle badly......This time i put the front disc top padlock too close to the forks and unfortunately the hole that lined up at the back disc ! allowed some bastard to try and drag the bike backwards and in doing so...crunched the speedo cable that was only replaced last year...I HAVE LEARNED A LESSON....If any body else uses padlocks on their discs, hopefully you have too....Only a tenner...but annoying all the same.......Why do people touch other people things...i wouldn't dream of trying to move someone else's bike...and it was not parked wrongly either, and was in a proper designated bike park, and it could not have been shunted by a car as it had a 4" x4" metal post right in front of it right up against the front of the wheel.....ALSO...The word starred out in the title was not a swear word...but i feel like calling myself a few names for not thinking it could have happened..." idiot " isn't one of them either....

PS....Same bike park about two months ago, someone scattered razor sharp self tapping countersunk roofing screws all over the place...but only in the bike part ! i spent half an hour picking them all up...two handfulls of them....Basildon in Essex..known as the QD open air car park next to Royal mail depot, if it helps anyone.....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sounds " unbelievable ", ! but there are some good parts of Essex...Maybe some scumbag was interested in going for a joyride ! or jumped on it to try it out for size ? and moved it without knowing it was locked up at the discs...Not many people have ever seen one, and the usual comment is how tall it is as they see me trying to get on or off it. At 6ft tall i can struggle sometimes with my old bones creaking and it is set up about as high as it can go...am going to have a little stake out each time i park there and also find out if anyone else has had agg there....ON THE GOOD SIDE...I still got the bike, and have a new cable on the way.....

·
Registered
755 Posts
I use of of those long spiral yellow plastic cords from my front disc lock (also bright yellow!) up to my left bar grip, mostly so I don't forget to remove the disc lock before riding off!

I can't say that someone hasn't ever messed with my bike when it's been parked but I'm (maybe naively) thinking that people are more wary of messing with something that has a big dayglo yellow wire coming out of it, just in case it's connected to something electrical and live :toothy10:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use an alarmed disc lock. It's pretty sensitive so as soon as anyone so much as touches the bars it gets shouty. Does mean I get a few false alarms but the benefits outweigh that.
Should have seen the face of the Chinese tourist I caught trying to mount my old bike whilst parked up in St Andrews. Reckon he got quite a shock.
As you say, why people think it's ok to touch other people's possessions is beyond me. You wouldn't jump in someone's parked convertible for a photo!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that useful tip....AN ALARMED DISC LOCK...and has a movement sensor ! Sounds like the way to go for me.....So i.m not the only one to have had this happened to them....CHEERS.....am also going to line up two holes for padlocks in the top part of the rear disc each time i park, to really minimize any movement....I,ve got a bright greeny / yellowy spiral coil thing thats going on too, it took up too much room in my jacket pocket, so i stopped using it...another lesson learned.....

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
long story-short. bike nicked twice! couple year ago from outside mates flat. i took flat over 2 month ago, slept there 1st time last week. awoken by stones on window....the police! kind Asian guy phoned them after seeing 2 Polish guys acting/looking sus. I came down stairs to find they'ed kicked the bars (snapped steering lock, luckily didn't sell spare triple clamp last month) the thing is, I've 2 xena's, 14mm & 15mm on the bike discs, with the luminous chord goin' to the bars, & they still tried to push it forward. Battered discs straight-ish with a hammer, but need to be replaced asap...again....again....again. So this morn i went to the car boot & bought 20 lr44 batteries for them....£2. Move the bike more than the wind & even though it's not deafening, they're not exactly quiet. Moral of story, XENA's are a great lock, if you use them as designed ( ive forgotten maybe 5/6 times, expensive on the disc buying front) Crap week, the courier turned my Mission 792 rear speakers into firewood, gutted.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All....I've bought a Target locks disc alarm lock..£22 quid incl post...ebay...Very solid and works well...they claim to be a movement sensor alarm, but i disagree. You can shake it when off the bike...and nothing !...but if anything metal touches it, you get a warning... if on the bikes disc and the wheel moves, it contacts the through pin and knows it's being tampered with..EXCELLENT...but no false alarms...REALLY GOOD DEVICE IN MY BOOK....Bit of ebay confusion on loudness ? they are all the same 110db...silver, black or yellow....Much more happy about leaving the bike parked up now....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi All....I've changed my mind on alarmed movement alarm disclocks....My one did not warn me at all when i got on it..chatted to the son in law..got off..got back on again..started it up again...AND...then tried to pull away with it still on and not making any alarming noise at all...the thing got totally wrecked, and luckily didn't wreck the bike or me..and i didn't come off..and still rode home...SO..my now verdict is....USELESS bloody thing..... i HAVE NOW GONE BACK TO PADLOCKS...BUT now always cover the ignition switch with a tiny 3mm dia bright RED bungee cord with a huge white label saying " LOCKED " that is permanently attached one end....do i feel like an idiot...YES ! YES ! YES.....

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
i have only driven off with a disc lock on just the once. i don't use those high-viz "reminder" coils/strings, i just get into the habit look at the front wheel when approaching the parked bike. and/or i think to myself "have i taken it off?" before starting the engine. once you get into the habit, it's fine.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi again...I've only done it once too...and hopefully never again...i have a coily, woily, bright yellow fluorescent, springy, awkward thing...but gave up carrying it in my pocket with all the rest of the useful stuff i carry...I wish i could say i will never be an idiot again...here's hoping i won't have to grass myself up again....Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts