1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Speed does need restricting somewhat but the info's there

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
OR, if you're 16 in January next year, and dont want to let the rain affect you hair gel, you could...

BBC - Newsbeat - 'Moped cars' for 16-year-olds are coming to the UK

:toothy10:
Very very dangerous ,it's limited to 28 mph , not that that is not a good thing for youngsters .
I'm no speed freak :angel2: but in my opinion you need a bit more to get you out of trouble on occasions.
Example, overtaking a bus and the bus pulls out , car coming the other way ,gap decreasing as you can't
get back into your lane, CRUNCH.

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
Very very dangerous ,it's limited to 28 mph , not that that is not a good thing for youngsters .
I'm no speed freak :angel2: but in my opinion you need a bit more to get you out of trouble on occasions.
Example, overtaking a bus and the bus pulls out , car coming the other way ,gap decreasing as you can't
My thoughts exactly....

I wouldn't let my daughter have a bike until she was 17 and could ride a 125 for that reason.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I told my kids they had to wait until 17 so they could ride a 125 as you sometimes need to accelerate out of trouble.

·
sfx wheels
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if they brought out the same rules for new drivers ,,,,, restricted bhp etc etc , max speed 50 mph , till your 19 , or points on yr licence

thered be a massive public outcry wouldnt there !!!

( never done a voice over , have you heard my black country accent )

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's the old de restricted for safety bull.

Forgive me, but it's a moped, it should not be overtaking moving traffic, and should wait behind the bus.

Flame away..

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
That's the old de restricted for safety bull.

Forgive me, but it's a moped, it should not be overtaking moving traffic, and should wait behind the bus.

Flame away..
I think you need to re-read the comment you quoted. You wouldn't be overtaking moving traffic, the bus would be still, then, `pulls out`, thus decreasing the gap against an oncoming vehicle that you have to pull back in too. :thumbup:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think you need to re-read the comment you quoted. You wouldn't be overtaking moving traffic, the bus would be still, then, `pulls out`, thus decreasing the gap against an oncoming vehicle that you have to pull back in too. :thumbup:
Moped, motorised pedal cycle.

Should pull up behind the bus and wait unless it can pull out without impeding the flow of traffic and pass before the bus is ready to pull away.

And that is your Highway Code.

Impeding the flow of traffic is careless driving.

Always give way to the bus.

This is not rocket science, and I am fully aware that without exception bicycles ignore all the rules, but a moped should not.

It is not designed to move within the traffic flow in an urban environment.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts

Should pull up behind the bus and wait unless it can pull out without impeding the flow of traffic and pass before the bus is ready to pull away.

And that is your Highway Code.

Impeding the flow of traffic is careless driving.

Always give way to the bus.

This is not rocket science, and I am fully aware that without exception bicycles ignore all the rules, but a moped should not.

It is not designed to move within the traffic flow in an urban environment.
It is quite safe in most towns, as they seem to be bringing in 20mph zones everywhere.

Sent using Stumps.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts

That's all very well in your little world of perfection and highway codes. So, you can overtake the bus safely with enough gap to get by, suddenly the bus pulls out just as you are passing and starts to accelerate quickly and you find the gap closing, what do you do? The bus has not stuck to the highway code so maybe you could have a copy ready and wave it at him before you go head on into an oncoming car, if it makes you feel better.

You see, the thing is, other drivers don't always stick to the highway code, you nob :thumbleft:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's all very well in your little world of perfection and highway codes. So, you can overtake the bus safely with enough gap to get by, suddenly the bus pulls out just as you are passing and starts to accelerate quickly and you find the gap closing, what do you do? The bus has not stuck to the highway code so maybe you could have a copy ready and wave it at him before you go head on into an oncoming car, if it makes you feel better.

You see, the thing is, other drivers don't always stick to the highway code, you nob :thumbleft:
You have insulted me twice in 2 threads, would you care to explain why. It is reasonably threatening behaviour.

Your post makes no sense either, believe it or not, if the moped does not pull out in the first place he is in absolutely no danger, so that should be the common sense course of action.

Moreover forward planning, that thing between your ears, is the best piece of safety equipment you can upgrade, moped riders should be trained not to ate the risk.

28 mph is the maximum speed, many don't achieve that with a run up, many buses will out accelerate then, don't encourage risk.

·
Registered
168 Posts

In fact I'll go further.

Yes, my little world is one of perfection, I ride without risk.

I have no interest in the bad driving / riding of other road users, I have an interest in my safety, and if I am commenting on safe riding, I will give best advice.

Best advice will no doubt differ from 'real world riding experience' bull, but it will keep young riders safe.

The time for filtering and use of the the throttle comes when you have trained on a larger motorcycle and not before.

Perhaps my 'little world of perfection' is the reason I have over half a million miles recorded since 1989 without an accident?

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
In fact I'll go further.

Yes, my little world is one of perfection, I ride without risk.

Perhaps my 'little world of perfection' is the reason I have over half a million miles recorded since 1989 without an accident?
Or that everyone just gives you a wide berth so as to avoid getting into a conversation with you.

Give it a rest man!

Reactions: winxp-master

·
Registered
168 Posts
Or that everyone just gives you a wide berth so as to avoid getting into a conversation with you.

Give it a rest man!
I don't recall throwing insults around Bolty, which you are not adverse to.

It strikes me a number of folk around here disagree with common sense, and the Highway Code, also the insurance industry rules from memory.

This forum is not a social gathering for most, it's a resource, if your answers are either not factual, or indeed dangerous, for sure, I will comment is it for you anybody else to contradict road safety in the course of a reply.

And if you do, should the folk asking hat question not see a balanced response.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Give it a rest man!
In fact I will go further again.

In urban areas with a 30mph limit, the most common, the bus will typically be travelling with an actual speed of 31 - 35 mph.

The moped is going to be trailing the bus as he approaches.

Is he doing a forward observation to note the size of the queue at the bus stop?

If he lacks sight of this as he approaches can he see passengers stood at the front or rear of the bus embarking / disembarking?

This would at least afford a calculation of the risk of pulling around the bus.

The moped is likely to be trailing the bus at the near side kerb, so as he pulls put there are 2 risks, faster moving traffic on his offside, and the bus driver is unaware of him.

I assume we are all aware that unless we can see the mirrors of a long vehicle they do not know we are there, and that as a scooter is low in height if we are close to the side of the bus it is difficult for the driver to see it?

So often you can pull out under acceleration without the driver being aware, dangerous for a moped. Yes?

The moped has one safe course of action, stop behind the bus and wait for it to move off.

A bus will not wait at a stop that obstructs the highway, only a stop in a lay bye.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.