Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
listening to the radio today they was going on about this british guy in america who was warned about jay walking buy a copper he said thankyou and walked away .... then about for or five of the officers brought him to the ground a roughed him up :shock: they thought he was ignoring them :roll:

now we are the only country that seems to give pedestrians so much bloody leaway :scratch:

this is a subject thats quite close to my heart i think if we had these kind of laws then pedestrians might have a bit more respect for bikes cars and trucks instead of feckin around tacking chances with thier own lives and when bikes are involved OURS!!

now before sombody shoots me down in flame's picture the scene
about two years ago i was driving home from site it was december kicking out time for school and pissing down with rain. i was doin about 15mph past the school line of traffic in the opposite direction kids bloody everywhere and my attention is on a group of kids on the nearside .

at that moment two. yes two girls chose that moment to dart out from behind a bus on the offside i slammed on the brakes but even at 15mph i hit both of them :shock: :(

now i can assure you that even when its not your fault it feels very shitty :(

i hit them in such a way that one of them bore the brunt of the inpact they were running fast enough to travell after the initial inpact to have enough momentum to get right over the grass verg to the path :shock:

one was fine just shook up and the one who bore the brunt of the inpact had a broken tib and fib and had to have surgury to put it right.

i was totally absolved of blame by the police investigation and 15 witnesses , but the parents are trying it on with a no win no fee claim case so for the last couple of years ive had to pay over the odds for insurance because of this :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

now my argument is this if we had laws against jaywalking maybe just maybe people would be a bit more aware of what gos on around them and the kids would be trained to be more aware :thumb:

cos it could have saved me a lot of emotional stress and upset and financial loss . :thumb: not to mention how it must have felt for the parent to get that phone call :shock:

the radio program was quite good and a lot of people seem to think it would prevent a lot of stupidity by pedestrians

what say you lot :D

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
If we had laws on jaywalking...

Would it have prevented these two idiots running out into the road? Probably not.

Would it have prevented you feeling bad even though it wasn't your fault? Probably not.

Would it have stopped your insurance company upping your premium? Probably not.

Sorry Chad, my vote goes for no more legislation. IMHO we have quite enough restrictions and conditions in our lives already.

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Yes I agree totally , I have to travel to and through Largs on the Ayrshire coast - it's a sort of elephant's graveyard where the oldies retire to die.

I have never EVER been in any place like it for people just walking out on to the road. sometimes just feet ! from the crossings. Sometimes they don't look , sometimes they do - and still continue out !!!!.

The town is a bottleneck and the trunk road A78 that runs though it, slows to a crawl because of the norrow main street, and I think that is the problem - the traffic is not going fast enough so they are not threatened by it.

Up the speed limit to 90 MPH through towns - that'll keep the buggers on the pavement.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Wee Jack said:
Up the speed limit to 90 MPH through towns - that'll keep the buggers on the pavement.
Wee Jack for President :lol:

·
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xrv_jim said:
If we had laws on jaywalking...

Would it have prevented these two idiots running out into the road? Probably not.

Would it have prevented you feeling bad even though it wasn't your fault? Probably not.

Would it have stopped your insurance company upping your premium? Probably not.

Sorry Chad, my vote goes for no more legislation. IMHO we have quite enough restrictions and conditions in our lives already.
it not going to happen anyway and i agree with you but it seems sill in this day and age that the pedestrian has got right over vehicles its such an out dated rule :roll:

S

·
0 Posts
Got to be honest I'm opposed to more rules, that said I'd legislate against the lawers :twisted: Partly due to our nanny state, partly due to the blame culture, but people nowadays have little idea of danger, or of consequence. Sorry for your grief matey, but bet thats one girl who wont run out into a road again, and if her perants were directly accountable for the damage she might do to your bike by recklessly walking out and causing an accident, she might not of done so in the first place.

·
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
even more shocking is apparently teenagers are now playing chicken with motorcyclists one was killed a few weeks back and the rider was badly injured bike written off and he had no way of getting compensation :roll:

tis a crazy world thats for sure

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Chad said:
but it seems sill in this day and age that the pedestrian has got right over vehicles its such an out dated rule :roll:
That's because pedestrians are people and the most vulnerable thing on the road too.. They need the most protection first. If people aka pedestrians didn't have majority right of way, we could mow down people without much comeback?

But I feel for you mate because I once had an 8 year old boy bounce of my front windscreen and even when it's not your fault, you feel like shit for a very long time.

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
fewtrees said:
Chad said:
but it seems sill in this day and age that the pedestrian has got right over vehicles its such an out dated rule :roll:
That's because pedestrians are people and the most vulnerable thing on the road too.. They need the most protection first. If people aka pedestrians didn't have majority right of way, we could mow down people without much comeback?
I'be lost track here a bit on who's advocating what, but in any case, I'll observe that assigning right of way is a tricky thing. You can't just assign it to one group of people, depending on who seems most deserving.

e.g. suppose we changed the right of way at level crossings, so the cars had the right to drive accross, and it was the responsibility of the trains to stop?

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
squirrelciv said:
Got to be honest I'm opposed to more rules, that said I'd legislate against the lawers :twisted:
OI what have we done now???? :D

i agree - more rules ain't gonna stop it - better parenting might!

the number of parents i see in my line of work who don't give a toss about their kids never pick them up from school, don't feed them properly and never know where they are (or care!) makes me mad!

wierd thing is as soon as they get into an accident or get arrested the parents are there banging the drum that they should get compensation for the terrible injury/injustice to their little treasure!

winds me right up!

but not as much as the people who step out into the road - pushing a pram, or worse, stand at the kerb waiting for a break in the traffic with the pram already in the road MORONS!!!!

Essentially it is an education issue, kids need to understand what is safe and right and what is dangerous and wrong!

.......aaaaaand breathe!

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Maverick said:
I think we should make all pedestrians wear ATGATT :teeth:
Fair point.

After all, if "it would save lives" is a valid argument for making bicycle helmets compulsory, it's also a valid argument for compulsory pedestrian helmets...

Most boneheaded reason for compulsory bicycle helmets was a story told to me by a quack. He related a tale of a cyclist who stopped at the traffic lights, missed his footing, fell over sideways and hit his head with fatal results. It ended with "...so you see how easily these things can happen!". But... no moving vehicles were involved. In fact no movement was involved at all, except that from the upright to the horizontal. So if this example is a valid argument in favour of compulsory helmet use, then helmets ought to be compulsory for anyone who adopts an upright stance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts