Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am going to have a play on the plain this coming weekend, but wanted to get some TKC80 boots to replace the road tyres currently fitted to my AT.

I seem to be facing probs.

Everywhere local to me, either does not do bike tyres, or can't do thm before the Sunday, or simply want ridiculous money compared to the cost I can get them for.

How tricky is it to fit bike tyres myself? I cam concerned about damaging the rims, will they be a bitch to get on?

The other problem, I was about to order from Busters, but noticed, they stocked the tyres, but I be damned if I can see matching tubes... DO people reuse tubes?? Or order seperately?? Seems mad to sell tyres, but not tubes, or do they assume nothing is spoked anymore...

GGGGRRRRRR

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
I'm going to fit mine this week, Mark. I'm sure if we did it at the same time the energy that all the swearing I'll be cussing will get us done!!

I'm ready. I've got tyre soap, valve core remover, tyres, compressor, levers, bits of hose pipe to protect the rims and enough mechanical numtytude to ruin my day! But I will learn to change tyres, I will, I WILL!!

It's gotta be worth learning, how to change a tyre and if I can't I'll sling the wheels in the car and let a professional do it :D :D

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Cheers
-Simon

S

·
0 Posts
I only ever fit my own tyres cos I'm really tight :oops: It's not that bad, really. Yes you can reuse the tubes (unless you pinch it of course) Big hassle is breaking the bead between rim and tyre wall. If stamping on it with your big size 12's doesn't do it, get youtself a block/sledge hammer and give it a crack. You'll have to do both sides before getting the levers in there. I always start with the levers opposite to the valve when removing the tyre, but start at the valve when refitting. Also when refitting it helps if you put a little puff of air into the tube to fatten it a bit. Not too much mind or you'll be fighting air pressure as well as the bead. When you've got the tyre on OK it's very important to check its on evenly. On the side wall will be a raised line in the rubber going all the way round on both sides. It is important that this is even all ways round and the same on both sides of the tyre. If not, things wont run true and could cock up your ride and tyre :shock: Can be a bit of a bugger to get this square. tips are; lots of washing up liquid/tyre soap, bashing with a big hammer, and over inflating the tyre to pop it square on the bead. I always find this part takes the longest.
Hope that lots a help, best of luck :wink:

·
Senior Moment
255 Posts
mgillespie said:
The other problem, I was about to order from Busters, but noticed, they stocked the tyres, but I be damned if I can see matching tubes...
Did you check that they actually have the tyres in stock? When I phoned them a couple of weeks ago they didn't, and couldn't tell me how long it would take to get them. :roll:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John said:
mgillespie said:
The other problem, I was about to order from Busters, but noticed, they stocked the tyres, but I be damned if I can see matching tubes...
Did you check that they actually have the tyres in stock? When I phoned them a couple of weeks ago they didn't, and couldn't tell me how long it would take to get them. :roll:

Yep, just found this out. Phoned them, and they will be 10 days.. Still they are the cheapest by far. £105 delivered for front and rear, so can't complain too much..

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
The back tyres on, yes ON!!

Breaking the bead's not too much trouble at home, I'd hate to have to do it out in the wild though. Particularly if I was on my own. Apart from that it's not much more difficult than a push bike tyre. Lots and lots of tyre soap really helps, and remembering to put the bead you've fitted into the well of the wheel as you ease on the opposite side.

Ended up buying a new tube as the base of the valve was very rusty and about to part ways with the tube.

Front next, woo hoo!

Cheers
Simon

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
Bow before me mere mortals, for I am a mechanical doG 8)

New front TKC, Check!
New rear TKC, Check!
Front brake discs, Check!
Chain adjusted, Check!
Wheels turning, Check!
Brakes braking, Check!

All while "supervising" my two monsters, who says guys can't multitask!!

Couldn't have done it without help from this site, thank you all who contribute.

Cheers
-Simon

·
Registered
235 Posts
Talking of Tubes , lots of bike tyres come in a choice of tubed or tubeless. i take it tubed is the choice as you can fix by the roadside ? is there any other difference , handling etc?

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
peterb said:
Talking of Tubes , lots of bike tyres come in a choice of tubed or tubeless. i take it tubed is the choice as you can fix by the roadside ? is there any other difference , handling etc?
its normally tubed coz the wheels won't hold the air in without them :D

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
peterb said:
Depends on your rims.
You can put a tubeless tyre with a tube on a tube-type rim no problem.

What you can't (or at least shouldn't) do is go the other way with a tube on a tubeless rim.

Reason being that tube type tyres and rims have a ribbed contact patch (between the both of them that is, not the one the bike's leaning on) that stops the tyre from wandering around the rim, while tubeless rims/tyres are smooth for the air seal, and these do wander around somewhat, especially if^Wwhen you're gassing it. ;-)

This wandering around on the rim is no big deal, until you stick a tube in there because it's fixed to the rim by the valve, and you risk tearing the valve out of the inner tube that way.

So if you do have tubes on your tubeless rims, check the valve, if it's standing up straight from the rim then you're ok (so far), but if it's crooked you better do something about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts