Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here jet wash their chain , I'm having a bit of a barney with some riders that jet wash it .
Does it not force in the water into the links and compromise the seals.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
a power washer is a weapon of mass destruction in the wrong hands . :lol:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I personally never jet wash or hose down the chain.
Use paraffin with a small brush, or keep the chain well oiled.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Although keeping the visible surfaces clean and lubricated is fairly important, the key surfaces are inside the rollers. In the old days - before O ring/ X ring chains - we used to clear thoroughly and immerse in a tub of molten grease (heated up in the kitchen!) Some off-road bikes still use this type of chain especially for use in sand. Jet washing non-O-ring chain is fine if you immerse in molten grease afterwards.

For O ring chains, the inner surfaces are greased for life, so your number 1 priority it to preserve the rings. Apart from a drop of oil to allow them the links to flex, they need to be left alone. In my experience, even brushing the link with approved solvent reduces their life. I would guess jet-washing could also damage the rings or force water inside. If links look superficially dirty, i recommend smothering in oil and going for a high-speed run. The centrifugal effect will fling the dirt off. Or better still, just turn a blind eye!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
On my offroad bikes i've taken then them off and soaked them overnight in parafin or deisel then blown them out with an air line and refitted them. Never cleaned a road bike chain in my life for the simple reason they never get dirty enough to warrant it.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Did the off-road chains have a O ring?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's exactly the advice I gave the people but they only want to hear what they want to hear.
Oh well there's none as daft as folk.
Thanks for taking the time guys :thumbup:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
IMHO only a complete fool would attempt this. Jet wash grit in and o rings out at the same time. Great idea.
:D Never a truer word....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts