Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just wondered what peoples thoughts on jet washing was.

I have never done this as always thought it would be no good for the bike and I have always hand washed it.

I was riding past a petrol station today and saw someone washing there bike in a jet wash. This would obviously make it a lot easier.

What are your thoughts on this? May start doing it if this is ok.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't get me going on the cleaning issue..I'm a right old woman when it comes to keeping my pride and joy clean..;)

Had some input a couple of days ago about cleaning and pressure washers..Go to Forums..Varadero then my topic 'Nightmare to keep clean'

At the end of the day the only way to get in them nooks and cranny's is to use a pressure washer but with care and common sence..:thumb:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Steer clear of any bearings / wheel / head races / don't do your chain / careful on electrickery etc.

If you do use a jetwash use a low pressure one with the nozzle set to dispurse the water as opposed to direct jetting the water

Too much pressure can take decals / stickers off if you're not careful

I only use one as a last resort if I'm short on daylight or time when I get home from a run to get the salt / mud off etc

·
Registered
924 Posts
i wash mine infrequently to say the least, and if it wasnt for jetwasking id wash it even less !

as above, careful around the chain / 'lectrics / decals etc, either set it to a lower pressure... or if you want to keep it simple.... step back :cool:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I took my bike into work and used the washer there, it completely removed every sticker on the bike from a range of 3 metres, I usually only jet wash after the winter to get the crud off.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
careful around the chain / 'lectrics / decals etc, either set it to a lower pressure
Suse a low pressure one with the nozzle set to dispurse the water as opposed to direct jetting the water
Like many things, completely safe to use if used correctly, follow the above advise and you will be fine.

I always use it on wide spread to avoid damage, there brilliant when used with Muchs-Off or similar products for a quick wash.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
I always use a jet wash at least once a week without problems - my last bike did 70,000 miles in 2 years without a single bearing being replaced.(everything else f*cking broke instead) common sense and not using an industrial type jetwash.....

Hippo wash is the absolute dogs bollox by the way...... better than muck off and the heine gericke stuff.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your help.

Just gotta buy a pressure washer now then.

Where do you buy the hippo wash from? I've searched ebay and called my local bike shops but can't find any.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hi

Just wondered what peoples thoughts on jet washing was.

I have never done this as always thought it would be no good for the bike and I have always hand washed it.

I was riding past a petrol station today and saw someone washing there bike in a jet wash. This would obviously make it a lot easier.

What are your thoughts on this? May start doing it if this is ok.

Thanks in advance
Wouldn't be with out my little Karcher its around 12years old and going strong. Saturday i used it for nearly 2 hours and it struggled to get all the mud and **** off the GAsgas (never seen it so bad). I use it on all my bikes i do use it on the chains normally after they've been soaked in parafin, then i dry it it by blowing out with an air line (gets any remaining grit out). On the Varadero i normally spray the bike with Comma TRV while i'm getting the pressure washer out thats doing it's work, then it only requires a short clean. I don't worry about washing the bearings as i remove the seals and pack them out with thick grease then fit the seals again before i fit the bearings (never had a wheel bearing fail yet on road use). Would be very careful around electrics especially on newer bike with CANBUS electronics, water could cause wrong messages to be sent, that said all bike are tested in extreme weathers so a 5min wash with a washer shouldn't in theory cause any drama's....

It's the same story with the xr i pressure wash to get all the heavy stuck on mud off, then spray with pro-clean Diluted so it doesn't take the paint or lacquer off like it did on my firestorm's wheels and front sprocket cover. Leave that on for 5 mins then pressure wash off

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
Never seen this hippo wash before so i'll have to give it a try.

I was tempted to make a joke about it being your lasses shampoo Sean but then i remembered your quite a big lad and will be seeing me on TLD :D:D:D
i was expecting worse.......

anyone that stocks feridex imported stuff (shoei etc ) will be able to get it for you.

its the stuff I was cleaning everyone's bikes with at the maintainance days in London.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
On the XR400 I like to use the Karcher pressure washer only between the fins on the engine as the mud gets evertwhere on a boogy ride like Wales. But on the KTM enduro I like to get personal with the bike & use a toothbrush & a hose as the engine is a lot easier to keep clean.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts