Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Does anyone have experience altering jetting for 650 TA?
I have done a few mods to bike and it feels a bit flat . Mods include: Wiseco 696cc Big Bore Kit (11.5:1 compression from Hawk), heads from 650 Hawk, ECU from hawk, separate air filters, custom larger bore exhaust & Harris silencer:p . I'm still running standard 650 jets. Dynojet do a stage 1/2 kit and was wondering if this might help. They also do a stage 7 kit but this may be too extreme (normally used in hawk race bikes). Any info would be appreciated.

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Mudwiz - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

behave :D :D :D

Welcome Black Bear btw

The Official XRV welcomming commitee will be along shortly to formally welcome you, and ask for pics of your bike :D :D :D

·
Registered
7,767 Posts
Hi there black bear.

You have some interesting mods to your bike, any pic's available?

Sorry, can't help with the jetting side, but personally I'd start by fitting the 2.5mm larger carbs from the NTV/hawk 36.5mm compared to 34mm for the Alps (if not already done), I guess only dyno runs & experimentation will get the carburation spot on.

Do the Hawk CDI fit straight on to the 650 Alp without chopping the wiring harness???

Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A bit more history: last Jan bought a 1991 TA with high mileage. Stripped bike and powder coated. I was about to rebuild when a stolen recovered 2005 TA came up on ebay. I won auction and decided to use best bits of both to build one bike as there was so much missing from 650 (only frame, engine, front forks and wheel, rear suspension left). I have ended up with 600 frame, tank, fairings and electrics with 650 engine (3400 miles) and carbs, front end (dual discs etc) and rear adjustable shocker.
Mod. wasn't too bad: spacer to extend rear shocker by 2", bushes for engine mount/swingarm were manufactured to fit, front end went straight on. Obtained coolant header tank from scrap car and located it in air cleaner housing. This was done to allow clearance for rear shock. Individual power filters were fitted straight onto carbs. 650 exhaust headers had to be used with emission box removed. I've used a Titanium Harris race can (from Kawasaki Ninja).
Electrics: single pickup and rotor for ignition on 650 replaced with dual 600 picukps to suit 600 CDI.
Bike ran great but I still felt that the TA was still under-powered (I weigh 16 stone+) so I decided to do the big bore conversion (available for NT650 Hawk). Surprisingly the 650 TA uses the same cylinders and crank from NT650 although they're years apart!, and same crankcases as 600 TA. Clutch and alternator covers are very slightly different. Big bore conversion is available as 663cc or 696cc with profiled piston crowns to give 11.5:1 comp. ratio. I went for 696cc;) (£205.00)
Other mods: new gold morad rims (3.00 on rear) with stainless spokes, progressive fork springs, remote start/alarm, corbin seat, TKC80 tyres (150 wide on back) gearing altered: 14T front, 49T rear. This virtually gives one gear lower, ideal for off road riding I do and a top speed of 105 at red line top gear. This might not be impressive but it will wheelie in first and second gear!
The only problem is a slight splutter occasionally at small throttle openings and it's value as a J-plate bike. I was recently offerered £500 for a bike I consider to be worth £2000.

Second bike.
Left with a few parts for 650TA, I looked at second hand parts on ebay to possibly build a supermoto type transalp in my spare time.
Starting with frame and yokes, I obtained 650TA forks modded calliper mountings to accept CBR600 brakes and front wheel. At rear, I modded swingarm to accept VFR1000 rear wheel with 47T Varadero rear sprocket, CBR600 rear brake, standard 650TA shocker.
Obtained NT650 engine minus carbs. This is a shaft drive engine, but I only wanted barrels, heads and crank, ignition rotor and pickups. I also used NT650 clutch basket as it has an extra plate.
I had barrels bored (+1mm) to accept 663cc pistons and built engine. Installed in bike but only had 600TA carbs from old bike so fitted 650TA main jets.
The original 650TA had no wiring loom, CDI, clocks or headlight so I made up a loom to suit NT650 CDI (£20 ebay, 650TA CDI £400+ new). Rest of loom to suit rest of 650TA controls, lights etc.
Finally fairings, headlight, seat and clocks (£65 ebay France), were fitted along with custom exhaust, Triumph speed Triple can and Individual air filters.
As you can appreciate it was quite difficult to obtain some 650TA parts reasonably priced so that was reason for using non-standard TA parts.
The frame number had been removed when I bought it so I'm having it re-registered on a Q-plate:( . Should be on road for Christmas:p .
Only issues to rectify:
1. Jetting, seems a bit flat except on higher throttle openings, will wheelie ok in 1st. with standard sprockets.
2. Rev. counter is not reading correct, only reading half what it should. I think 650TA CDI gives out twice as many pulses so maybe I'll take a feed from both coils with diodes.
I will post some pics soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts