Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Departed from Westbury, Wiltshire on Friday 26th. Rode up into the Cotswolds to Cheltenham then iPod on to hit the M5 then M6 to the Lakes. Stayed with friends at Graythwaite for the night.
Saturday
To Ambleside and up 'the struggle' (no kidding) to Kirkstone Pass, fantastic ride with mountains either side. Then onto Penrith and back onto the motorway for Glasgow in sunshine but the wind was a bit of a nightmare. Out of Glasgow on the A82 past Loch Lomand heading for Glencoe. Saw an orange Girlie outside a pub with another bike somewhere along here.
Stopped off in the mountains before reaching Glencoe and took the Tiger down a rocky track for some pictures and a break in between the rain/sleet/snow/hail showers.

The sun came back out and had a cracking run along to Inverness via Fort William, Speen Bridge. Stopped off to see the Commandos memorial, what a view they have over the Nevis range.

Then onto Inverness to camp for the night via Loch Ness.

Sunday
Got up with the weather looking okay but before long the wind was howling. Getting to John O Groats became a battle in the wind just to get there. When I did what an anticlimax! Okay so I didn't expect flags, bands and cheerleaders but I didn't expect it to be closed either!! Thankfully I managed to get a coffee then had to pay 20p to pee...criminal.

Next took a deep breath for the trip back. stopped off at some of the little harbour towns on the way.
Monday
Awoke to a frost but it was sunny and dry. Headed off down the A9 then A938 to Spey Bridge to pick up the A939 to head over the Cairngorms. Fantastic scenery and road with no traffic just having to watch for the icey patches every now and then. Stopped at the Lecht ski area to find plenty going on.

Next stop Balmoral, knocked on hoping to get a cup of tea but no one in. Took some pics with the war memorial

Blairgowrie came and went so did the sunshine as I rolled into Perth. Found my way into Edinburgh in the rain then things started to go wrong, got lost big time then sat in traffic somewhere when a car reversed from a parking space. It went through my mind of course he will stop as I'm then blasting the horn and screaming at him while because of traffic and postion I had no where to go on a heavy bike. As the car touched me it stopped as at the same time my size 11 made contact, then he drove off.
Okay calm, just rode in one direction and eventually escaped on the A68 to Jedburgh with the weather getting worse. Reached the border for about 6pm in snow then turned back into Kielder to find the campsite. Bartered for a caravan for the night so had heating and managed to get everything dry, no sleep though due to the noise of the rain all night!

Tuesday
Light rain...for now. Aiming for Derbyshire. A few miles in and dense fog, great, had to follow cars to find my way this was just plain dangerous time for a plan B. Headed for Darlington and the A1. Blasted south then onto the M1 to the outlaws near Rotherham for a cup of tea(got lunch aswell!). I didn't want to use motorway heading south but it was definately the best option with the weather as it was. Warmed and refreshed next stop Bakewell where it stopped raining for a few minutes.

Started to rain again as I left Bakewell turned to torrential by the time I was at Monyash then Warslow, found Sheldon Farm campsite at Grindon. Rolled into the farmyard wet through to see my parents car sitting there, first thing that went through my mind while laughing was it had been cloned but then Mum and Dad appeared unexpectedly. They had rented out a farm cottage without me knowing with a space in the barn for Tiger...result.
Heating, dinner, supply of tea what more could I ask for? It was the best surprise possible. Thank you...
Wednesday

Left in snow (after bacon butties by Mum) after half an hour it turned to rain then dried up. Decided to cut the route due to the snow appearing in Wales so headed for Telford then Hereford, Monmoth, over the bridge then home for the night.
Thursday
Sunshine. Headed through Glastonbury, Bridgewater and picked up the A39 to wind my way along to then cut across Exmoor on the A395. Stopped for a break and butty with a view of Hinkley power station and the Bristol channel...nice!

Decided to the pick up the A30 and run to Lands End before the weather turned again, head wind all the way.
Arrived at Lands End and had the photos taken.

Not a 'big adventure' by comparrison to some but with the weather it was pretty tough but I loved it. Camped for the last night at Mullion, slept for 11 hours!
The Scottish roads are amazing with very little traffic. With the grippy surfaces through the bends I just found I was piling on the power with all the grip I wanted, fantastic.
And my Tiger...what can I say she didn't miss a beat, the perfect bike for the trip.

Kev

·
Registered
924 Posts
nice write-up, some cracking pictures mate. and well done :thumbright:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Bril pic,s and good write up .
What a fluke finding ya mum and dad (freaky coincidence):thumb:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bril pic,s and good write up .
What a fluke finding ya mum and dad (freaky coincidence):thumb:
Mum had had a copy of my planned route and I hadn't given it a thought that they may look to meet me somewhere.
Funny thing was that when I was heading south on the A1 it went through my mind to carry on and head down to theirs in Peterborough...good thing I didn't as there would have been no one in!!

Kev

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Great write up, familiar places in the Scottish pics and we have to suffer those roads all the time! :)

Well done that man, and as a Tiger rider what can I say about the bike? :thumbright:

Andy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
brill write up, im doin it myself in august, we ve done the lands end bit, easter weekend that was good, any tips / ideas would be good..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just make sure you ride the A939 from Spey Bridge to Tomintoul and on to Ballater then onto the A93 down through Glen Shee to Blairgowrie, this was without doubt the highlight of my trip and also the only sunny/dry bit.
Kev

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
brill write up, im doin it myself in august, we ve done the lands end bit, easter weekend that was good, any tips / ideas would be good..
If you get stuck at this end of the country for anything give me a shout i have 2 weeks holiday in August

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
nice one.. think we did it a bit quick last time :D

dont appologies for the adventure.. there is a lot of adventure to be had on these wee islands...:thumbup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Raymo, blimey under 15 hours JOG to LE! We must have used different routes!! My plan was to enjoy the roads rather than just getting my head down and putting in the miles, was dissapointed to have to use motorways in the end.
Kev

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
Great Report Kev .. really enjoyed reading about your travels ..

Just make sure you ride the A939 from Spey Bridge to Tomintoul and on to Ballater then onto the A93 down through Glen Shee to Blairgowrie, this was without doubt the highlight of my trip and also the only sunny/dry bit.
Kev
Ahh... My Favourite road included in this quote..
I was up there couple of weekends back ..

:thumbright::thumbright:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Raymo, blimey under 15 hours JOG to LE! We must have used different routes!! My plan was to enjoy the roads rather than just getting my head down and putting in the miles, was dissapointed to have to use motorways in the end.
Kev
that was the first TLD 2008.. if I am correct Robster did it in 13hrs... ( 1150 GS only stopped twice for Fuel )

:blob6:

will do it your way .. one day ...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great Report Kev .. really enjoyed reading about your travels ..

Ahh... My Favourite road included in this quote..
I was up there couple of weekends back ..

:thumbright::thumbright:
This road was superb, my only regret is I didn't run the video camera for it or stop to take pictures...just didn't want to stop as it was flowing so nicely with a silly grin all the way along:D

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
This road was superb, my only regret is I didn't run the video camera for it or stop to take pictures...
There are some great pictures! Quality not quantity, eh?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Agree with you all the way mate, it's about a quality run, not getting miles under your belt. Fiona and me have just returned from a runover the West of Scotland and it was only 200 miles a day but we got some cracking photos! Well done mate, glad you enjoyed the run through Scotland.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts