Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday I shall be joining the "Everything Orange" ranks. I'll be picking up my KTM 950 ADV. A 2004 with 20k up in, well, black ?!?

I went to see a friend of mine that's well into the 950's and he made me ride one (that's what I told the missus anyway). I was then compelled to buy it. I think my mate saw me coming ;)

Anyway pretty excited, but as my trusty alp of 4 years and 30k is sold and being picked up on Friday, I'm mourning the loss of an old friend as well.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
On Sunday I shall be joining the "Everything Orange" ranks. I'll be picking up my KTM 950 ADV. A 2004 with 20k up in, well, black ?!?

I went to see a friend of mine that's well into the 950's and he made me ride one (that's what I told the missus anyway). I was then compelled to buy it. I think my mate saw me coming ;)

Anyway pretty excited, but as my trusty alp of 4 years and 30k is sold and being picked up on Friday, I'm mourning the loss of an old friend as well.

Congrats :thumbright:

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Welcome to the "orange" side!:thumbup::D

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Great stuff Dysan
does it have a towing bracket chuckle

Coat hat gone!

·
Registered
361 Posts

So you’ll be doing the HUMM on it then :thumbup:, congratulations. I felt the same way about my old bike, I still miss my @ 650 lots of good memories :(. The @ has nothing on the KTM for speed and power. If I had the room and money I would buy my @ back tomorrow. But don’t get me wrong I love the KTM and I think it’s the right bike for me, I always have a smile on my face when I ride it and I do love to ride it

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will be doing the HUMM on it and the TLD next week. It won't have 20k on it for long :D

As for the power :toothy7: It feels like it could swallow continents whole and just laugh. Welcome to 100mph+ touring :thumbright:

The thing that hit me most though was the weight. It weights almost exactly the same as my TA, but felt like half of it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you may find yourself doing a lot of waiting around then, better buy some clint eastwood style cigarillos for the french service stations!!
OK, Welcome to 100mph+ touring :thumbright: except going down to the HUMM with Tendays :D

No worries mate I always knew I was going to have to back off a bit.

·
Registered
361 Posts
One big problem with riding the KTM at 100plus is the rate it drinks fuel
The worst I have had out of mine is 110 to the tank full:confused: but I did have a very big smile:D on my face

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is that 110 out of the std tanks or the 3 your running now?

My mate managed a pitiful 17mpg on a 140 mile trip through the desert. All three tanks dry and had to wait for the support truck to get him the remaining 40 miles out.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Soft sand and his binary throttle use really don't help.

Anyway the new owner of my TA has been to collect so now I'm bike-less. :cry:

But I've just received my new bike camera system from Dogcam so I have something to play with for the time being.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It has arrived. Spent all day working with my mate to check valve clearences and change the oil and filter, then fitting the GPS, aux socket, alloy panniers and pivot pegs. Also plumbing in the 3rd tank and fitting the top box (required for work).

Rode it home in pretty sh1ty conditions, but with a big grin. Its soo well planted and cruises along at 85 without even working up a sweat. So I think many happy times are to be had in the future.

Just some shots taken at the motorway services before it p!ssed it down.

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Welcome to the "Bright Side" Dysan!

Your 3rd tank has me intrigued, where does it fit, who makes it, etc???

Have a 990 ADV and a little extra fuel goes a long way (not that long on a KTM, but every little bit helps).

JB

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome to the "Bright Side" Dysan!

Your 3rd tank has me intrigued, where does it fit, who makes it, etc???

Have a 990 ADV and a little extra fuel goes a long way (not that long on a KTM, but every little bit helps).

JB
A friend of a friend designed them and had them made up. Basically the bike has a 2 into 1 exhaust system and tank (2 Gal) fits where the removed silencer lived.

If you're interested I can get you the details of where to purchase.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Looks very nice. Are you going to do the HUMM on those tyres? If you are going to change the rear yourself, it may take sometime. It took me 3 hours to get the bloody Thing off. Putting the TKC back on was pretty easy.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks very nice. Are you going to do the HUMM on those tyres? If you are going to change the rear yourself, it may take sometime. It took me 3 hours to get the bloody Thing off. Putting the TKC back on was pretty easy.
My mate did the HUMM a couple of years ago and has suggested it will be fine on the scorpions. If I swap to TKC's I'll need to take a spare rear down with me probably as I don't think 1 will last the road miles.

Really I need to get out in some similar terrain after the TLD and see what's like, I'll make the call then.

Are they pretty stiff sidewalls then?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes the standard tyres or quiet stiff, but it’s the rims, on the 950 they have a very big ridge which is a safety thing. It keeps the tyre from coming off the rim if the tyre goes flat. And yes it works very very well. The only way I have got may tyre off is to lean the bike over on the the side to push the tyre into the centre of the rim. I had to do this on both sides of the rim.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts