Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 19 months and 22,000 miles the downpipes have started blowing (front cylinder connection) :shock: .

I could claim on the warranty :? ?

Now's the perfect chance to junk that under 'sub-camber' , next week I'm having a set of stainless steel downpipes made up minus that power sapping fugly camber :twisted: .

Just hope it doesn't mess the fuelling up too much.

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
Plumbing

I've got a Staintune on order so will be very interested to see how you get on with junking the nanny state plumbing - ROARRRRRRRR!

Headers by Predator? If they are I had some for my 600 and the 2 connecting sections were slightly oval. If so check when you collect. Other than that good quality.

Make sure you thoroughly clean your new pipes before first firing the bike up as any fingerprints etc will be difficult to remove after first heating - I've learnt this from life's best teacher - experience (twice).

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honda will replace the front short pipe only, leaves me high and dry when the rest falls apart at the end of the warranty period.

Besides, I've be dying to junk the thing. Made of tin ya know. Glows in the dark and everything.

J

·
0 Posts
Headers on the 650 Tranny

Okay Wheeliebin, ya got me. I hate that subchamber bigtime. It's ugly and poorly finished, a POS !
Please let us know how you get on, where you purchased and the cost of the pipes. I'm a likely starter.
As you know I made the first oval Staintune which has worked out really well. A set of headers would complete the picture.
Good luck on the transformation.

Don't forget to make a warrantyclaim on the original if it's possible.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Wheeliebin,

I have the midsection for the Lazer Can. The Lazer on my AT came from my TA.

That is if you go for the Lazer Can. :p

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Paul, but I'm sorted now.

Stainless steel downpipes were made up by Zorstec for £170. I've also had a small link pipe made up for my (really poor quality) LeoVince can (which I've shortened and doctored :twisted: ).

The very nice Andy at Zorstec has also cut off the rotten joining part of the standard silencer and replaced it with stainless, only noticed tonight.
Swapping from Standard to doctored (really poor quality) silencers is now a piece of cake.

8) Very Pleased

J

·
0 Posts
The difference in sound level and performance is ?? What sort of weight is there in that stock subchamber ?
Any backfiring ? though this should be taken care of by retaining the airvalve arrangement near the right radiator.
C'mon mate, spill the beans.

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be keeping an eye on fuel useage, soot on endcan and plug colour over the next couple of weeks.

The biggest difference I'll noticed so far is in the handling :shock: ! Rear shock feels firmer and doesn't swat as much.

How much the standard weighs ? No idea, but the front section (downpipes + sub-camber) is heavier than the standard silencer ! Add them together and it's a very heavy system.

Noise levels vary, on tickover there's no difference, 2 - 4 thousand revs just sounds a tad beefier, 4 - 7 thou gets a bit of a rasp on and the over-run is very, very deep (with no popping). It's not loud enough for the filth to suspect anything.

The short and doctored (very poor quality) Leo can is a different story :shock: They will lock me up and throw away the key !

J

·
0 Posts
The new headers

Looks a 100% improvement on the stocker - brilliant. That's a tidy job indeed.
The stock muffler alone weighs 4kg.
Should make changing/adjusting preload on the rear shock easier.
Does the seat of the pants dyno detect any change in torque ?
Any chance od a piccy without the plastic engine guard in place.
Thanks for the follow up info.

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
Just spent the day re-greasing s/arm & linkage bearings. Would have been a lot easier without that collector box - how I laughed.
Nice pipes.

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Balancing on the kitchen scales, I make the stock silencer 4.5kg, the downpipes with sub-chamber 6kg :shock: .

Seat of the pants dyno ? you mean the way the bike now stands on it's back wheel in the first three gears....I wish :?
1,000 to 3,000 rpm seems smoother, riding at walking pace or burbling along in top, apart from that there's no differance :cry: .

I'll have to try the stock silencer for a couple of weeks, see which the bike prefers.
:roll: .

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks mate, the added smoothness would be a bonus and likely indicate a difference in the torque curve rather than outright horsepower.
Good, that's another reason to try and do the job ! The weight reduction is yet another side benefit. The stainless muffler I fabricated is 2.4kg, saving 2kg on that section.
Toughest part of the fabrication is the joining piece which is difficult to fabricate at home. Sourcing a 1.2mm tubing length also somewhat ticky.
I've been looking at a 600TA system which is available in Germany for 169 Euros, then maybe modifying to suit the 650TA. At this point I don't know how similar the two models are with regard to shape and clearances.
Any ideas on the differences between the 600 and 650 header pipe shape/location/clearance, anyone ?

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
Jack,
Forget ordering 600 header pipes. They enter the cylinders at a totally different angle- straight out of the exhaust ports instead of roughly 45 degrees to the right. Plus the silencer on the 600 is much bigger without the sub chamber meaning they may come up short.

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks for that Recycler, saves me wondering if it might work on a cut and shut basis.
The postage cost/duty from the UK and the poor currency exhange rate precludes purchasing Wheeliebins good looking system. Bummer.
Will probably look at some sort of modification/reworking of the existing pipework. I'm working up to the task.

J

·
0 Posts
Further mods to 650 Tranny exhaust

Damn Wheeliebin, I like that set of headers.
So much so, I won an auction on ebay ( in Germany ) for a 650 rear header with the subchamber attached. It will get the cut and shut treatment on arrival in Oz ( after a friend cuts out the subchamber prior to posting ).
The intent will be to modify the end of the pipe to make it circular, then weld in a joining piece.
The tyranny of distance, the exchange rate between the pound and the Oz$, duties and extortionate postage from the UK prevent my purchase of that lovely piece of kit you had made.

J

·
0 Posts
Finally the cut up rear header pipe is on its way from Germany, along with a couple of other ebay scores. Should arrive here in the next few weeks, then the fun begins :)
I wonder why it is I can get 10kgs posted from Germany for 50 Euros, when a similar price from the UK to Oz is three times that amount ??

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quick update, fuel consumption dropped from an average of 47mpg to 43mpg.
The bike always used to run a little on the rich side (black sooty plugs), but now it's running really rich (black, wet, sooty plugs), made the choke redundant though (even on the coldest mornings).

Oh well, fcuk it, ordered a K&N now. If Yen's RD04 leaned off a little with a K&N, maybe the TA will :happy8:

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Sounds more like the dreaded stuck choke plungers. Worth a check?

Stig

1 - 20 of 49 Posts