Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned home from 7500 mile Mauritania visit.
General stuff - Sahara very windy at this time of year and slows (already slow on @) progress.
Road surfaces very abrasive - good grip but eat tyres
Morocco and Mauritania police and borders were a doddle. No bribery etc needed to freindly and helpful Police and Gendarmes.
Make a load of copies of a "fiche" with your name, date/place of birth, address, occupation, vehicle and passport details.
You will need your original V5 and a couple of photocopies of your passport for ther Mauri visa (3 days and 10 euros at border, can be extended at police station in Atar or Nouakchott for additional payment).
The whole terrorist thing seems overblown, the only place I felt unnerved was at Akjout between Nouadhibou and Atar when trying to buy backstreet fuel (the garage only seems to stock diesel)
Any specific questions?

·
Registered
398 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup:CONGRATULATIONS:thumbup::thumbup:

Glad you made it back safe and sound,no douth someone will be along asking for a detailed report but most of all pics :D we like pics :D

were you on an "organised "tour,
what items did you bring/pack which were esential?
what could you have left behind,
did you have any mechanical probs,
what would be your recomendations re kit,places,
what would you do differently next trip,

you get the idea ;)

Thanks

Tony k

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well done look forward to reading and seeing some photos.

Q1. Where's Mauritania again? Its not in my AtoZ, is it south of the river?

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Sounds like you had a good trip :p

Any pictures :confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
OK I get the hint...
Heres a few photos, mines the black one.
The one in the dark is Christian after his clutch gave out getting through deep sand in the land mined nomansland between Western Sahara and Mauritania DONT CROSS THIS AREA IN THE DARK!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More photos...

Attachments

·
Professional Geek
393 Posts
...land mined nomansland between Western Sahara and Mauritania...
Don't get me started... :laughing6: (see the first para on http://brighton2capetown.googlepages.com/mauritania for our take on that piste - totally agreed don't do it in the dark but I still don't know how you'd kill a clutch in there - you could do it on a sportsbike!)

Glad you found as we did that Mauri is a funky country with great scenery, though we certainly felt more comfortable, more welcome, and less hassled as soon as we got into black africa (Senegal onwards). I guess that's partly down to the questionable UK middle east foreign policy, and partly down to historical Mauritanian culture and attitudes. Did you go to Atar via the piste to Choum, or via NKTT on the tar road?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't kill my clutch - Christians was on the way out and the sand combined with heavy load was the last straw. (also suspect C may have put car oil in a bike!!)

Took the long route via Nouakchott & Nouadhibou on road. Heard some scary stories about the rail route being tough and had wrong tyres for deep sand. Heard that 2 guys on Transalps took the route and suffered a fuel pump failure half way along - don't know how they sorted it out.

Only really got onto piste after Atar and found out what the @ was made for, it loved it (even though it took me a while to get into the loose surface head/riding zone). Next trip will probably be to Morocco with a pair of TKC 80's to concentrate on what an AT does best and to develop my skills.
:brilsmurf:

·
Professional Geek
393 Posts
Fair play - we'd planned on the piste but got advised against it. If I ever do a 4x4 trip through there, it'll be the piste route for me, but I doubt I'll ever do that, or go back with a suitable bike.

Incidentally, we found the AT to be totally tolerant of car oil. We set off from the UK with bike oil in the sumps, and when we discovered how much it cost to pick up stuff we'd flown out to ourselves we decided not to send out bike oil and just used car stuff. Total Quartz 7000 synth fortified 10w40 is economically available at Total stations throughout francophone africa, in fact it's a right pain in the pants that it's not available when you get to "civilised" Namibia and South Africa. We did Oil Change One (8000 miles) in Niger with the Quartz, and I did another change (16k miles) in SA with GTX Magnatec. No clutch probs at all on either. Pretty cool bike in that sense!

The pistes are good fun for sure. The dirt roads of SA and Namibia are what the AT is built for. 80mph, smooth, slightly slidey and a little bit airborne in places. Genius. And I can't do off road for toffee. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts