Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the titel says i just bought a Honda dominator.

32K on the clock.

Drives like a dream but i got some questions since im totally new to aircooled thumpers.

It has a oil gauge which after 30min drive pointed at 120C :eek: is that normal? Considering out side temp is like 30C now. I think it was only 100 on the highway btw only got up the 120 once i entered the city with al the traffic lights.

And once it was 120C in the city i noticed some weird iron sound which sounded like it came from the engine although im not really sure. Only occured while driving.

And last i have a question about the rear wheal which seams to have lead arround 2 spokes. Kind of lead you see on car wheels to balance them. Is that normal?

pic of the bike from the add:

·
Registered
140 Posts
As the titel says i just bought a Honda dominator.

32K on the clock.

Drives like a dream but i got some questions since im totally new to aircooled thumpers.

It has a oil gauge which after 30min drive pointed at 120C :eek: is that normal? Considering out side temp is like 30C now. I think it was only 100 on the highway btw only got up the 120 once i entered the city with al the traffic lights.

And once it was 120C in the city i noticed some weird iron sound which sounded like it came from the engine although im not really sure. Only occured while driving.

And last i have a question about the rear wheal which seams to have lead arround 2 spokes. Kind of lead you see on car wheels to balance them. Is that normal?

pic of the bike from the add:
Hi JJ5

i can confirm that dommis do indeed run hot as no doubt other guys on here will also agree

your oil temp is about right for one of these bikes i think and because of this the oil change schedule is every 2000 mls or some where near 3200 klms i think

i know i was quite shocked at the temp and change intervals when i bought mine too ( & i havent even ridden mine in anger yet :blob:)

as for the lead i can only presume its for balancing ? perhaps someone else can throw light on the subject

:thumbleft:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rad something about oil coolers somewhere does that help? Or should i just dont bother about the temp?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Yeap, temp is normal and many have fitted oil coolers with good results.

Lead is indeed for balancing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I rad something about oil coolers somewhere does that help? Or should i just dont bother about the temp?
i suppose it depends on what your using it for , if its going to do a lot of road work ...then maybe but if its just local i wouldnt bother

ive seen them on here some spend good money on jagg oil coolers other spend pennies on gpz oil coolers

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Whatever you do, keep a sharp eye on the oil. Big aircooled thumpers like these tend to use a bit, and you wouldn't be the first to kill an engine by checking the oil at normal inline-4 intervals. :(

It's bloody hot the last few days, and the dommie is a hothead at the best of times, so yeah 120C is normal for these bikes, sadly.

So keep an eye on the oil and temperature. Mine tends to start using oil whenever the temperature gets to 120C, so if yours does the same an oil cooler could be a solution. Or a heavier oil (10W50 for example) but I haven't tried that.

And ofcourse check out the underside of the rubber bit of the carb, and check the exhaust pipes for rust/holes. Standard NX weak points.

Whereabouts in NL are you by the way? It's good to see more old dommies on the road. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Den Haag. Need to read trough the workshop manual and find my way around the bike.

·
Loomesy
105 Posts
Could you send me a picture of the oil temperature gauge, as Im interested in getting one but I dont know where to find one. Does it have a 'brand name' on it or anything

Thanks

Nice looking bike too, mine looks...well looked, like that....slightly less nice now though

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only thing i can see is RR no brand on it.

About it its a push stick doesnt has any screw thread. AND doesnt have any marks to measure oil level. Can someone measure the lenth of the stick and where the marks should be.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
The brand is RR. Gericke carries them (or used to, at least).

Haven't got mine to hand, but the full mark is about halfway up the stick.

(Note when ordering one: Make sure you order the correct one, the RD02 and RD08 are different!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts