Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was out on my 2005 TDM900 which is valued at about £3500. Today I was out on my 1993 Africa Twin. This is more difficult to value, but lets say £1500. So that is 5 grand in total.What I was wondering was; is it better to have two bikes as I do, or is it better to have one bike i.e. a better bike at £5000?The way I do it just now I never get to ride a bike of 5 grand quality plus double depreciation, servicing costs, tax, insurance etcI know having a dedicated winter bike is good but if you only have one good bike then cleaning it every time you ride it should do the same job.As I said I'm only wondering out loud.Hmm?

·
Living for the weekend
116 Posts
Horses for courses, you cant take your tdm off road and get it muddied up, and likewise your AT maybe isn't as fun to cruise the around roads as a tdm (subject to personal preference), i dont know if that makes sense, but hopefully you get my point.

if you have 2 different bikes you get a much wider range of motorbiking fun!!:D

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Horses for courses, you cant take your tdm off road and get it muddied up, and likewise your AT maybe isn't as fun to cruise the around roads as a tdm (subject to personal preference), i dont know if that makes sense, but hopefully you get my point.

if you have 2 different bikes you get a much wider range of motorbiking fun!!:D
sounds like a fair observation to me:thumbup: im lucky when i get my ass into gear and finish toxic then i'll have somthing to vent my frustration off road with and can still enjoy the KTM for blatsing around and touring on:thumbup:

the way i see it you have the best of both worlds and you havnt had to spend a fortune:thumbup: but if you feel like somthing new and shiny go for it . its a great feeling:cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
It's nice having two bikes :D I convinced the accounts dept that I needed two bikes as if I took the Alp off road I WILL drop it every time, and every time it's gonna cost hundreds to put right.

Cheap TTR and it's up to the job and can get me there and back. Dropped every time, several times every outing in fact, no real damage done each time and cheap to fix, or ignore as say it looks better like that. :D

Also good when the roads are icy, salted or crap as if I come a cropper it's not gonna cost a lot to put right and the crud isnt eating my pride and joy away :D

glad I got it when I did though coz I'd never get away with that argument now :D She's wised up a bit too much for my liking :D

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Remember that MUDWIZ could walk into any lunatic asylum in the country and pass the entrance exam.(inside knowledge?)

G

·
You can always take your TDM900 engine and drop it into a decent XTZ750 frame, that way you'll have a great off-roader with one of the best parallel twins that yamaha has ever made (ceramic bores, efi, 270degree crank)

Kymmy

·
Registered
900 Posts
You can always take your TDM900 engine and drop it into a decent XTZ750 frame, that way you'll have a great off-roader with one of the best parallel twins that yamaha has ever made (ceramic bores, efi, 270degree crank)

Kymmy
Ooh, I like that idea!:thumbup:

If it were up to me, I'd have a different bike for every mood and being a man of many moods, I'd have at least a dozen.

You're never alone with a schizophrenic.

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Trying the "one better" approach now.

The one will do neither job as well as a specific tool for each job, but is (so far) such a hoot in all respects I'm glad I did it.

BTW, it is now against the law to quote me on this on the 22nd June!

:D.

:confused:

:D:D:D:D:D

·
17,680 Posts
Ooh, I like that idea!:thumbup:

If it were up to me, I'd have a different bike for every mood and being a man of many moods, I'd have at least a dozen.

You're never alone with a schizophrenic.
who said that.....twas me.......whos that ...hes new.......no hes not im new.....then whos that behind us:toothy3::toothy3::toothy3::D

G

·
Says the girl with a list of bikes and cars as long as your arm!!! :rolleyes:

I'd go with having 2 bikes...OR MORE!!

Bob :thumbup:
Yes but only the GPz and the Volvo are private usage, the rest is for various projects and then to sell.

Kymmy

·
17,680 Posts
Yes but only the GPz and the Volvo are private usage, the rest is for various projects that never seem to get finished:D

Kymmy
fixed it for you:thumbup:

G

·
You wish...

We've got that much on the go atm...Why do you think my post rate has plummeted!!!

The bikes on the sig are project bikes where as most of our current work is frame strengthening and engine rebuilds. Also getting to the final stages of the Hazard project with also a combined LED Brake/side/fog light now in the project stage.

We've also finished Cad'ing the Brake disks, Rad gaurds, Headlight gaurds, footpegs, front crashbars, combined rear crashbars/pannier carriers and finally the dash support (to hold IMO, roadbook, GPS, comms and Imo RXtra) Now just to either make a CAD bench for the plasma or find a cheap cad/plasma service.

Kymmy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts