Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fitted a second hand air filter to my 2000 varadero. I was getting 39 to the gallon, now with no other changes, I am getting 46 mpg, very pleased with that, it works out to a tank range of 220 miles.
steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the K&n is a straight swap, I got it on e-bay, well worth looking for, if you intend keeping the bike for a while it even makes sense to buy a new one as it will soon pay for itself.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I have fitted a second hand air filter to my 2000 varadero. I was getting 39 to the gallon, now with no other changes, I am getting 46 mpg, very pleased with that, it works out to a tank range of 220 miles.
steve
That figure sounds about right for a Vara now. :) The old one must have been pretty well knackered....

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Yes the K&n is a straight swap, I got it on e-bay, well worth looking for, if you intend keeping the bike for a while it even makes sense to buy a new one as it will soon pay for itself.
I'll definately look out for one. Reckon I'll pprobably keep the bike for another 100k or so:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is running very nicely on standard jetting. The k&n is a direct replacement for the standard element.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I guess it need some maintenance anyhow, with air filter oil to get the impurities to stick. Stevenjen, what was you standard air filter change interval? I still see the benefit with k&n, no more paper filter ordering.... Did you feel any benefit in power gain ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was the first time I changed the filter so I hadn't got a filter change interval yet,. I have only had this bike for a year so far. I didn't notice any power gain, I just didn't want to keep taking the tank off to replace filters. I have had a k&n filter on a honda Dominator but that made it run just a touch too weak and the bike needed to be really warm before it would idle properly, so I fitted a standard filter to it. I also have a k&n filter on my 1988 vfr750 and it works well on that, no real power increase, just nice to know I haven't got to keep paying out for a new filter and keep taking the tank off.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
On my @ the k and n it does seem to rev out better but it could just be the induction noise is more lol

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
It was the first time I changed the filter so I hadn't got a filter change interval yet,. I have only had this bike for a year so far. I didn't notice any power gain, I just didn't want to keep taking the tank off to replace filters.
Don't understand, you still have to take the tank off to wash and oil the air filter at regular intervals which are every 16k miles if i remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Don't understand, you still have to take the tank off to wash and oil the air filter at regular intervals which are every 16k miles if i remember correctly.
The K&N on my old transalp was recommended for cleaning every 50-70,000 miles. I did so once while it was fitted after about 40k and a trip to morocco, then just left. Bike, engine, plugs etc seemed fine.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
The K&N on my old transalp was recommended for cleaning every 50-70,000 miles. I did so once while it was fitted after about 40k and a trip to morocco, then just left. Bike, engine, plugs etc seemed fine.

And that is where K&Ns marketing just doesn't ring true to me.
I really can't get my head round the concept that;
They flow more air (but you don't need to rejet)
They filter better (but don't need cleaning as often)
They go longer between services (but don't restrict air flow)

It all sounds very contradictory or is it me just being cynical.....

sent from my 'phone

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
I used the same K&N in two of my RD07 bikes (well it had to pay for itself). I used to clean them when they looked properly dirty, probably every 25kish miles.

My second AT was dyno-jetted to match the K&N filter, my third wasn't, can't say I noticed much difference. Fuel consumption was unaffected,unlike my RD04 where fuel consumption improved dramatically with a K&N.

Did think about getting one for my Varadero, but haven't decided yet.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
And that is where K&Ns marketing just doesn't ring true to me.
I really can't get my head round the concept that;
They flow more air (but you don't need to rejet)
They filter better (but don't need cleaning as often)
They go longer between services (but don't restrict air flow)

It all sounds very contradictory or is it me just being cynical.....

sent from my 'phone
Agreed but it worked for me on my transalp. But, I don't think I will put one or anything like it on my XT660 as the FI on that seems to be barely able to cope with the standard set up. Unless I get a power commander or something. Plus I am not doing the miles any more and a Yam filter is a lot cheaper than Hondas.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
hear is some stuff I read about k&n air filters on another forum . I don't really think it applies in my neck of the woods as its usualy raining . hear it is anyway .

"You can find quite a few reports on the Net showing that K&N's pass fine dust through into engines" .

reply to that info .

that may well be true but having a k&n air filter on your bike gets you laid , its true I was in pub one night and I goes up to a real fat woman in her late 60's who was real ugly and so drunk she could hardly stand . I said hi there how you doing you baby ? would you like to go for a ride on the back of my motorcycle some time its got a k&n air filter fitted . she slurred something that I couldn't quite make out then she leaned over and kissed me and I could just about make out the words "come back to my place " . so we went back to her place and made love all night well that was after she stoped vomiting from having drank too much . man im glad I bought that k&n filter it cost a lot of money but but my love life has really improved since I fitted it and the bike runs great now plus I got 2 free stickers with it

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
hear is some stuff I read about k&n air filters on another forum .
Oh really..... from a another forum is it??? Sounds a bit like one of those "I have friend who......" Type of stories to me. ;)

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
hear is some stuff I read about k&n air filters on another forum . I don't really think it applies in my neck of the woods as its usualy raining . hear it is anyway .

"You can find quite a few reports on the Net showing that K&N's pass fine dust through into engines" .

reply to that info .

that may well be true but having a k&n air filter on your bike gets you laid , its true I was in pub one night and I goes up to a real fat woman in her late 60's who was real ugly and so drunk she could hardly stand . I said hi there how you doing you baby ? would you like to go for a ride on the back of my motorcycle some time its got a k&n air filter fitted . she slurred something that I couldn't quite make out then she leaned over and kissed me and I could just about make out the words "come back to my place " . so we went back to her place and made love all night well that was after she stoped vomiting from having drank too much . man im glad I bought that k&n filter it cost a lot of money but but my love life has really improved since I fitted it and the bike runs great now plus I got 2 free stickers with it
If you hold them up you can see speks of light through them, so it's fair to assume they will let larger dust particles through than a decent paper filter.
You pays yer money & takes yer choice.
But then, if they help you pull, maybe they are worth it ;)

Phil

sent from my 'phone

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
reply to that info .

Sounds like someone was kissing the Blarney Stone ;)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I considered the K&N on my TA 600, but after considering prices, I decided to go for paper and change it once a year. If you want a improved pull (apart from pulling birds that is) drill a few holes in the box on the outside of the filter, I felt it helped a bit on the TA, not sure I will on the vara, but I'll stick to paper and rather change a bit more often. I am not saving on filter maintenance.:toothy9:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts