Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I realise that this applies for any kick-starter bike, but, I like XRs :p

So anyway, one of the things that I'm kinda paranoid about when starting a 400 is the kickback, I've heard bad things and would obviously like to avoid them; What is the best way to do this?

I've only ever kicked over 2 stroke engines with which there isn't any worry about kickback, I guess I am also asking the correct way to start a 400 as well...

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
As long as your not giving the bike a handful at the time of kicking, it shouldn't be a problem, just make sure the carb is set up for a smooth tickover.

I've been kicking various bikes over for years and the XR400 is the easiest I've owned.

·
They say I talk too much.
334 Posts
As long as your not giving the bike a handful at the time of kicking, it shouldn't be a problem, just make sure the carb is set up for a smooth tickover.

I've been kicking various bikes over for years and the XR400 is the easiest I've owned.
I agree with both of these remarks. The XR400 *is* very easy to start.

If you lay off the throttle and kick all the way down in one swift movement it should not give you any trouble.

I'm not sure about the 400 but I know for a fact that the XR600 has a simple mechanism that prevents the bike from kicking back all the way, so it can't do any serious harm.

Still, my XL600 doesn't have that, and it can kick back like a mule if you don't know what you're doing, but it won't do that if you kick it properly, which means all the way down.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
OK, I realise that this applies for any kick-starter bike, but, I like XRs :p

So anyway, one of the things that I'm kinda paranoid about when starting a 400 is the kickback, I've heard bad things and would obviously like to avoid them; What is the best way to do this?

I've only ever kicked over 2 stroke engines with which there isn't any worry about kickback, I guess I am also asking the correct way to start a 400 as well...

Thanks, Dave

easiest way to kick the xr over is to check the valves are done and it's not running to rich. The from cold and not being used mine always starts within 2 kicks. I've never had any problems with a kickback although my mates xt550 did try to put me over the handle bars once

·
Registered
10 Posts
if you have decompressor slowly kick the bike untill the valve clicks next to the kickstart shaft then let it all the way up and then kick down with all your weight dont touch the throttle or maybe give it a small and i mean very small amount
if it dont start within 3 kicks or more then clean your pilot circuit i.e clean the pilot jet and replace air filter and maybe clean airbox youll find your bike will start not a problem also if you drop the bike upside down or not and you have problems starting most likely the pilot again i spent about15 times one day cleaning pilot jet
until i jet washed the mingin air box

but yeah dont touch throttle until the engine wants to go and maybe let you foot off the kickstart but dont let it fly back up as they have a tendancy to wear out after a while

·
Mr Impulsive
471 Posts
My XR600R has never kicked back and I've never used the decomp lever.
been spat off my Husky a few times though! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts