Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I was cleaning my newly aquired XR250 today, after a weekend trail ride, and noticed the kickstart seemed to have come adrift and was about to fall off, however, when I checked it, it was correctly fitted and fully tightened up.

I'm not sure why, but it seems like it's 'hanging off' the end of the splined shaft but it won't push any further on because the retaining bolt locates it in the groove on the shaft. I'm wondering if the kickstart alloy 'knuckle' has been drilled in the wrong place..... because it just ain't locating on the splines the way it should.

Could someone who has a year 2000 XR250 check for me how far on the shaft the kickstart should be.

Some pictures.... it looks like it isn't fully home on the shaft.....

........the bolt hole looks to be off centre.......

.......and you can see the 'unused splines' on the inside !

Any thoughts anyone?

cheers

Dan

·
Registered
346 Posts
Going to sounfd like a daft question but you're sure it's the correct kick start for the bike and not one that was "handy" when the original broke ....

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Going to sounfd like a daft question but you're sure it's the correct kick start for the bike and not one that was "handy" when the original broke ....
I'm not certain but i'm fairly sure i've seen this before. Someone has undone the grub screw to replace the spring and ball bearing and put the bottom bit on 180 degrees out...

Looking at the photo if you turn it around 180 you will have more metal facing the engine and less overhanging the shaft

Maybe wrong though

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a daft question at all....but I'm pretty sure it's the original kick start that came with the bike when new. The bike has only done 250 miles and was quite a find - see here

It looks too original and correct to be a bodgit kickstart off've another bike.

Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not certain but i'm fairly sure i've seen this before. Someone has undone the grub screw to replace the spring and ball bearing and put the bottom bit on 180 degrees out...

Looking at the photo if you turn it around 180 you will have more metal facing the engine and less overhanging the shaft

Maybe wrong though

Nah...I've tried that.

The alloy lug on the casting fouls the engine case if you try to put it on the other way round - it definitely only fits one way.

Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked my friends XR and his is exactly the same so - panic over.

I still cannot figure though, why Honda would make these components to fit together so well....and then stick a bolt in there that holds them so that only about 60% of the available splined surfaces are in register with each other ? Honda don't do things without a reason...but I just can't see why they've done this.

Thanks all

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts