Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Get your TKC80's ready, if this comes off it will be brilliant:D

I have been emailing the forestry commission about an XRV off road safari in Kielder Forest. I was prompted by their 4x4 safaris.

These ares the various emails. I think I need gauge interest in this (but I think I know the answer) before going any further....

14th Feb
Hi, I was Reading on your website about the 4x4 events in kielder forest. Me and some friends from a motorcycle club would be interested in taking part in one of these except on large capacity motorcycles - think Ewan Mcgregor and Charlie Boorman in the long way round. Would this be possible?

If not are there any other opportunities for taking a group of motorcycles into the forest?

Visit Xrv.org.uk/ for more information- this is one of the most respected and popular motorcycle clubs on the Internet.

Regards

Austin Winckler

22nd Feb
Hi,
I wrote to you last week about the possibility of motorcycles joining one of the 4x4 safaris or of a safari specific to motorcycles. I don’t seem to have had a reply yet, although I did get your out off office so I do appreciate you will have been catching up all week. I also used my personal mail address – I am now at work. You can reply to either, but as I am doing this in a personal capacity it is best replying to my personal mail address ( ).

I have also written to GTON but not had any response yet and I hope that the delay is because you are both actively considering my request. An update would be nice though.

For information, I am organising a trip for my motorcycle club to Piel Island in Morecambe Bay where I am expecting around 50 participants. If a motorcycle safari in Kielder is a possibility I would expect similar numbers, if not more, all of whom would be happy to make the usual contribution of around £50 to charity for the privilege of riding their bikes in the forest. I also appreciate that you may have concerns about motorcycles racing through the forest and abusing that privilege. Whilst I cannot commit to being able to control the actions of every person taking part I would be happy to lay down appropriate rules of behaviour based on your guidance and as none of us will know our way round the forest the services of a guide would be required anyway.
I look forward to your reply.
Regards

Austin Winckler
23rd Feb
Dear Austin,

sorry for the delay in replying to your original email, the request was forwarded to the organisers of the 4x4 safaris, who would have to decide if they are happy to take bikes along with their vehicles. They have not replied to the enquiry yet.

But looking at the large number of participants you are expecting it would probably be best to run your motor bike event separately from the 4x4. I will forward your request to our event coordinator Lorraine Bell, who will tell you the details of the terms, conditions and costs that apply to such events. Please note that any event will be restricted to bikes that are road legal, the bikes will have to stay on forest roads and tracks, not go off road and travel at a maximum speed of 15mph.

kind regards

Malte Iden

Recreation Ranger
Forestry Commission
Kielder Castle
Tel 01434 250209

my reply....
Thanks for the update Malte and taking the time to reply.

This sounds quite positive and I look forward to hearing from GDON and from Lorraine Bell. I am at a meeting of our club this coming weekend in Wales and if I can give some indication of what may be possible at this meeting it would be a good opportunity to start planning and so on.

Many thanks in advance,

Regards

Austin Winckler

25th Feb
Austin

Your e mail communications have been passed on to myself as I am the Forest District Motorsport Co ordinator. I deal with a number of Motorcycle events that run within the forest area, and possibly one of these may be of some interest to your group.

First of all, what type of machines do you have, are they similar to the 'Big Trail Bike Club' type machines, that are to all intents and purposes on road bikes designed for off road, similar to the BMW?

If they are we are working with a group to plan a two day tour event within the forest in July. At present they are planning the route but it looks like it will be centred on Bellingham with the opportunity to do over 100 miles of forest roads and tracks.
Let me know what you think.

Jonathan

Jonathan Farries

Rothbury Beat Forester

01669 620062
01669 621454 (fax)
07764 838562

and my reply today...
Hi Jonathan,

Yes they are "big trail bikes" similar to the BMWs although not necessarily as big. I did see a post on the UKGSer forum (a forum specific to the BMW big trail bikes) about the possibility of an event in Kielder in July - but it didn't go much further than "possibility". I guess this is the one you are talking about. Is this event specifically arranged via that BMW forum? If so would we be allowed to "gatecrash"?

The club I was wanting to arrange the event for is XRV.org, XRV being the model name for Honda Africa Twins, but the club embraces all Honda dual sport bikes as well as catering for any other make. It is primarily an internet forum but we meet regularly in person.

I had simply anticipated a day with access to the forest tracks and trails with some opportunity to test further skills in quarries or similar. This seemed to be the format for the 4x4 safaris. These bikes aren't really suitable for races or timed events (at least I am not - the bikes probably are!!). I had also anticipated somewhat later in the year than July.
Nevertheless if you have any details of the July event I would be interested and will pass it on to the club members. But, I would like to pursue an event as outlined that is specific to XRV.org. If this is a possibility I will gauge interest in the club.

Regards

Austin Winckler

What does anyone think. I am happy to keep liasing and take forward arrangements if there's enough interest or do we join the fun with UKGSer..... if they will have us.... link or the the event in July could be one of these (17th/18th July or 31stJuly/1st August)

Its early days yet too, so don't over-excited. Oh and I believe there is a bothy that may be available - whatever I am not camping, Kielder midges are hell on earth.

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Sounds ok to me ;)

Have i read it right 15mph max speed on the tracks :confused:

That could be a bit of a problem:toothy1:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Austin

You should be promoted to the XRV & Northwest Posse Entertainments Manager

Keep it up dude :thumbup:

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
Another great idea Austin.:thumbright:

I'm in.....15mph:rolleyes:.....hmmm......ok then.:D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Do you do any work :D:D:D :rolleyes:

Top idea if Hudders hasnt been round with his Post it Notes Ill be there :D

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
I'm up for that too! Austin speak to DunkerD. The rules will have to be stuck too as I think they have been burnt before with a few spoiling it for the rest on bike events. Riding like loons and bad accident etc, I don't know the details but DunkerD knows a bit more.

I suspect you will have to make it clear that any aspirations of drifting round fireroad corners with the throttle pinned are out! :D I suspect the biggest problem is the shear volume of different user groups in the park, cyclists, walkers, horses, etc etc. :(

Can't we win the lottery and hire the whole park to ourselves for a weekend!! :thumbleft::D

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds good - is there a date in mind ?

Iain
Not yet. STill waiting to hear what the guy at Kielder has to say to my last email. I am guessing they are not that keen.

On the speed thing, yes I know. If I were them I would be a bit reticent too. But, they do it for 4x4 so don't see what the difference is really.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Another great idea Austin.:thumbright:

I'm in.....15mph:rolleyes:.....hmmm......ok then.:D
If that's an average then all the stops to pick up the zebra from on top of me should make the 15mph target fine:D

·
Apprentice Mud...wiz
442 Posts
Hopefully matt will see this thread. Me and him and a few mates went to the calvert trust in kielder back in november, was awesome!
Don't think we stayed much under 50 on the forestry tracks though :thumbup:Evan on my old domi...:toothy10:
Nearest fuel station we found was 30 odd miles away over the border, then on the way back, I found three leaves to chuck me off :hitler:, great...
:cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was with the first TRF ride last year. The planning took over ten years I was told. We were given the rules about speed and all going in the same direction at the beginning of the ride.

All was well until one chap turned around and headed back the way he came - result, a head-on, high speed collision with a rider coming the other way.

Air ambulance, ambulance, police and doctor all at the scene. This sort of thing will make the Forestry Commission hesitant.

It doesn't help the cause mentioning how fast one can go on the forest trails.

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
Thats the details I was thinking of! thanks

Mods (and no offence to the man above - but for the sake of the amount of search engine hits this forum gets and standing a chance of hosting anything) it might be an idea to tweak that post! :D:thumbleft:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
up for this

1 - 17 of 17 Posts