·
Registered
3,231 Posts
INSANE!!!!!:( Balls of steel....

But as you say good tune.

·
Doh!!!!!
753 Posts
I've spent quite a bit of time at Brooklands over the years. The state of the track never ceases to amaze me - it's literally squares of concrete (apparently it wasn't much better when new!). When you think about the tyres they used to race on, combined with the old tracks (or Test Hill at Brooklands which has an extremely steep gradient) brave and mad comes to mind. :cool:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
They certainly knew how to keep the population down in them days :(

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its the guys that get up , and casually jog to the side of the track that astound me:shock:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Did not see any No win, No Fee soliciters around or false whip lash claims then. Proper drivers the indestructables.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Just goes to show that motorsport was dangerous then as it is now !
The safety aspects have somewhat changed for the better

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts

·
Stone Crazy
5,316 Posts
Nice music , i did watch a bit but could not stomach it all, reminds me a lot of Gilles Villeneuve and his sad end, that will live with me to the end of my days

·
Registered
395 Posts
i watched most of it through my fingers and a few moments made an involuntary "Jesus" escape my lips. Nightmares for me tonight i think.
Having said that..........cool vids

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Life - and attitude about death - was very different in those days. J is spot-on, no false claims for whiplash back then! The drivers knew what they were letting themselves in for. Frankly, seat-belts really could have caused more deaths; you'd want to be thrown clear from those death-traps.

What was even more horrific was the death toll among spectators, but then they probably knew the risks too. The worst such event was this (again, not for the faint-hearted):
Worst Crash Ever - 24 Hours of Le Mans - 1955 (HD) - YouTube

What really amazes me is how few deaths and injuries there are in motor racing today. A testament to improved design.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts