Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In a quest for efficiency in financial outlay and tool storage in my household there has always been potential for developing a range of multi-purpose tools suitable for the kitchen and garage.

Previous success stories include the turkey baster/brake fluid extractor, and the controversial oven/crankcase heater.

Well today's moment of revelation came whilst washing up a variety of items which included a gravy strainer. I noted how, when filling the washing up bowl, some items redirected the water from the tap back out of the bowl and generally towards my trousers, missing the worktop altogether. Chief offenders in this category were the dessert spoons and cereal bowls. There was one however, which no matter the angle of attack, managed to subdue the unruly H2O into submission and resulted in no embarrassing damp patches.

Now at this point you're all thinking: WTF has this got to do with motorbikes? Well this is an answer to the age old problem of spilling oil on your pristine garage floor/block paved drive when draining a sump after a 30 mile run to get the contents up to temperature. If, like me, you use one of those drainers that are formed from a plastic 10 litre box with one side forming a drain tray you will no doubt have experienced the ricochet of the oil straight back out and over the side missing the newspaper that you carefully, but inaccurately, positioned.

So the answer is to position a suitable gravy strainer above your drain tray and then relax as you watch the oil go where it was intended. An added bonus is that any metal flakes (Ducati owner's take note) will be evident on the strainer. You could even add a coffee filter paper if you are ultra paranoid.

In the interests of balance I can also report that a bolt cropper can be invaluable if your leg of lamb does not quite fit the casserole dish.

I hope this has been a useful post.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Useful indeed, I have a lovely embarassing sticky patch in my garage just as described.
My contribution to this thread.
Mini tappet spanner made out of a stainless steel kitchen fork, cut off the outside tangs, grind the handle nice and thin, then chop the middle tangs down to leave a gap just the right width to operate the tiny square screw to adjust the gaps. Used this one for years on various Honda singles. Being springy it grips well and can work verr accurately.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have a compact dishwasher. Its big enough to hold most faffy bits that need cleanong and causes me to take great interest in TV adverts for dishwasher tablets.
Just about completed a refurb of a mini excavator, the dishwasher was great for de crudding the greasy soil encrusted bits:D

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I
If, like me, you use one of those drainers that are formed from a plastic 10 litre box with one side forming a drain tray
What's wrong with using the washing up bowl then cleaning it in the dishwasher?

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
At last! A truly useful thread on XRV. I've been waiting for years and this is the first one.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
this is an answer to the age old problem of spilling oil on your pristine garage floor/block paved drive when draining a sump after a 30 mile run to get the contents up to temperature.
Wait 'til the neighbour is out and do it on his?

Gravy strainer sounds interesting.

·
Administrator
1,778 Posts
Someone on another forum (stationary engines, not bikes!) I loiter on writes about the stainless-steel Baking Trays available from Poundland ( at £1 surprisingly enough). He finds them particularly useful when dismantling things -- he has quite a few of these trays -- and relegates them to oil drip, or drain, trays when they get a bit grubby. He blames his wife for dragging him into Poundland in the first place! :compress:

·
Administrator
1,778 Posts
Well this is an answer to the age old problem of spilling oil on your pristine garage floor/block paved drive when draining a sump after a 30 mile run to get the contents up to temperature.
I don't have any problem getting oil on to my block-paved drive. My old Land Rover does it for me, unbidden!

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
May I just say how much I am enjoying this thread? Truly entertaining. Keep em coming :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
The forks and spoons in my house all have bent ends to help with changing push bike tyres. And several dish washing brushes used for cleaning the Bike. :grin:

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
The forks and spoons in my house all have bent ends to help with changing push bike tyres. And several dish washing brushes used for cleaning the Bike. :grin:
You do know that your wife comes on this site...................

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Someone on another forum (stationary engines, not bikes!) I loiter on writes about the stainless-steel Baking Trays available from Poundland ( at £1 surprisingly enough). He finds them particularly useful when dismantling things -- he has quite a few of these trays -- and relegates them to oil drip, or drain, trays when they get a bit grubby. He blames his wife for dragging him into Poundland in the first place! :compress:

If it's a particularly complex job I use one of these trays/plates that I brought back from India. I guess they are also available in prisons.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Oh, they let you take one when you were released? That's nice.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Oh, they let you take one when you were released? That's nice.
I did think about borrowing one from the works canteen but they were only a few rupees in the markets and it thought it made a better momento than a carved elephant.

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
at last, truly kindred spirits!

the local frog bikes looked at me like I was some sort of alien when one of them asked the best way to clean the spokes on spoked wheels & I said "toilet brush"

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts