Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I might be a regular in this forum soon!

I've got a loud and regular knock at tickover, checked the manual and they say might be carbonisation- likely? if so what additives have folks tried (source and their result)

Valve clearances- easy to check and adjust? (I'm one above kack handed in the 1-10 scale)

Piston issues? (no idea really)

It's a long term project, so not needing it sorted asap, cheaper is better (hence easy and cheap fixes first):thumbleft:

Thanks in advance

Shack

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
If you get the engine warm then remove the plug and pour in some Redex, leave it standing over night then turn the engine over with the starter before replacing the plug, then start it up in a well ventilated area.
If it is just a build up of carbon then that should clear it.

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thnks Stumpy, this kickstart only lark is busy turning me over, still I'm sure it will get easier with time and a knack.
Now are we talking a dribble of reddex or a healthy splodge? can too much create even more probs? inept is my middle name:thumbleft:

Right, well I've tried that, and nothing greatly has changed, the noise seems to go (or in the main go at least) when it has warmed up. does this inspire anyone to diagnose the issues here, and if it sounds better when warm is it worth trying for an MoT? and start pootling around?

Advice welcome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts