Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've still not found what I want yet.

Was thinking of a yamaha because I've had them before, but the KTM 450 EXC looks like a nice bike. Anybody had one and what did they think of them?​

·
2,701 Posts
i recently got a 05 400exc for trail riding, ( the electric start being the biggest factor ). I like it. :thumbup:

The service intervals are short, . . oil change 250 mile, oil and filters every 1000 mile. . . . . but all the latest enduro bikes are similar.

A couple of lad's i ride with have the 450exc and love em.

A couple of friends had/have crf250's and rate them highly, very light and easy to ride a full enduro.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i recently got a 05 400exc for trail riding, ( the electric start being the biggest factor ). I like it. :thumbup:

The service intervals are short, . . oil change 250 mile, oil and filters every 1000 mile. . . . . but all the latest enduro bikes are similar.

A couple of lad's i ride with have the 450exc and love em.
A couple of friends had/have crf250's and rate them highly, very light and easy to ride a full enduro.

Is there much difference between the 400 & 450 apart form the 50cc? :D

Crikes that is quite frequent then. That's what I fancy electric start.

·
2,701 Posts
here's the info i got.

the 400 has a soft power delivery, so does'nt break traction so easy on loose / slippy surfaces.

the 450 has more snap/grunt on the throttle, so a steady hand is needed on the loose/slippy stuff, but hoist's the front easy when needed.

advice from the ktm guru's said that the 400 was the best for trail riding. and one came up local. :cool:

though i ride with lads on 450's and 520/525's and they dont seem to have any trouble.

as for oil changes, check the intervals on wr and crf.

oh, and its 10/50s full synthetic, . . . not cheap.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
Is there much difference between the 400 & 450 apart form the 50cc? :D

Crikes that is quite frequent then. That's what I fancy electric start.
There's another differance...the road tax ripoff is cheaper. I have a 450EXC as well as the XR400, both are on a rider policy insurance for £85 & the worn out tyres from the KTM go on the XR, as the 450 definitely chews through them. It's the electric starter of the Katey as well as the top notch suspension that made me go orange, even though I have an Ohlins on the XR, which makes a BIG differance.

Have a look see on UK KTM Forum - Latest Articles for more info on the 400/450 that people ride.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Ok, I've still not found what I want yet.​

Was thinking of a yamaha because I've had them before, but the KTM 450 EXC looks like a nice bike. Anybody had one and what did they think of them?​
some years they got the setup bang on other years power delivery was a bit unpredictable, i rode an 04 bike and that was certainly a handful and very lively, but if your a shortass you can get 20mm lower seats for them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts