Honda XRV Forum banner

KTMs

Tags
ktms
5K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  doglegdon 
G
#1 ·
OK, took the car in for MOT and walking back home I had to pass a KTM super dealer. Couldan't walk past, had to go in. Well what lovely bikes. Look ever so well built and in the style I like. Made in Austria I think. Liked the 690 Duke but also the 990 SMT looks really good to. They have a full range of demonstrators too so will have to take some time off for a days intensive road testing. KTM had no special offers but the dealer did his own offers so...who knows eh? What's your opinion on KTM? DD.

#5 ·
They are a bit pricey but all the kit on them ( WP suspension, Brembo etc) is top drawer.:thumbright:. phenomenal ride too.;):D:D.

Bm's are even more ( and they self destruct on a regular basis) 13k for a yamaha 1200.....blimey !!!. The S/H 990's hold their money well (prob coz the new one's are 10k+)

Your money, your choice buddy.:thumbup::D:D:D.

#6 ·
I love the KTM's, especially the 990 ADV Blue and Orange(old colour). But the service intervals, fuel range, and service costs.
Stans Bike is Fantastic and you have the facility to fit super moto wheels to it.
I would as a spare loonatic adventure bike :D:D:D

#7 ·
But the service intervals, fuel range, and service costs.
:D:D:D
....There's always a "down side " :D.

I would love it to have more fuel, longer service intervals etc, but for me at least, it presses all the buttons.

Ferkin mental with the S/M wheels on tho......and i'm too old for all that nonsense anyway.:rolleyes::D:D:D....."Steady Stan"....thats me.:blob4::blob4:.

#9 ·
KTMs ................. brill but as has already been said - expensive to buy and fairly expensive to run.

The 690 KTM is just the best single cylinder mill on the market , nothing comes close for power and smoothness and in the Duke frame is just WOW !!.

Just a last word on purchase price - don't look at the basic price when comparing to other bikes - look at the cost of bringing other bikes up to the same basic spec as a KTM - when you do that, they work out very competitive. When I bought my 990 Adventure in 2007 the same spec BMW was £3500 more expensive. Things like ABS were standard on the KTM but a £800 option on the beamer , heated grips £50 compared to BMW £200 etc etc.

#10 ·
Yes they're expensive...

Yes the fuel economy isn't as good as competitors (the MPG is not that far off, but the tank is much smaller)...

No, they're not the most sensible choice...

No, you can't have mine, ever!

I love it! Nothing brings a smile to my face like the grunt in the twin and the sound from the (standard) exhausts.

Test one at your peril!

JB

#11 ·
Yes they're expensive...

Yes the fuel economy isn't as good as competitors (the MPG is not that far off, but the tank is much smaller)...

No, they're not the most sensible choice...

No, you can't have mine, ever!

I love it! Nothing brings a smile to my face like the grunt in the twin and the sound from the (standard) exhausts.

Test one at your peril!

JB
Hi JB hope you are well

Do you remember all those lanes I took you round last April at Jelly's

I rode Pete's 950 ADV round them for 2 hours onand off road and it was awesome. The holligan factor set in though and I struggled to make myself keep it below 8000 rpm - the engine made me do it honest :blob3:

#12 ·
"The engine made me do it..." I'll have to use that next time I'm pulled over :)

All well here, settling in to the new house and country. Just need to finish importing the bike and I'm all set...

Hope to see you at one of the camping trips this year!

JB

#17 ·
Economy apart, (if you cant really afford to run one, one shouldn't really buy one, in my book), the hooligan factor is the main attraction for me!:D If I wake up in the morning and I feel conservative and want a smile, I'll take my AT, if I want a day of adrenalin surging yeeehaaaa etc, the Katie is the way to go!:thumbup::grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.