Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kawasaki KZ650

Hi all, all I ever seem to do is post requests on the chatter for peoples experiences on different cars and bikes.
Well on my search for a bargain I came across this, a local okay-ish bike shop.

Last conversation with them (about a Triumph) they said they no longer do test rides on second hand machines (and not sure/ doubt it has an MoT anyway)

But what do people think/ know? t'interweb said engine pretty bulletproof, better in a straight line than a twisty but that's about it.

Ta Muchly

Andy

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I had a GPz750 which shared the same basic engine (and workshop manual). The engines are okayish, I had to have a new camchain at 30,000 miles on my first GPz, Galea camchains did mine. Shims were under the bucket so tappet adjustment was a camshaft out job, Galea do this whilst putting a new camchain on anyway. I see that the engine cover is missing off the points. This is the first bit to hit the deck so there may be crankcase damage if it is missing for that reason. Don't ask me how I know this!

This is the same basic engine that powers the shaft drive GT750 and the retro Z750s from the 90s so it's pretty well proven.

·
sfx wheels
806 Posts
ive had 3 z6`s in the past

keep changin the oil and filters ,,,,,,,

a really really nice bike from the 80`s and late 70`s ,,,, had a B and a couple of C`s , the metalic blue c3 was me favourite ,,,,,,,

the frame was designed by isombard kingdom brunel though , " made from india rubber "

·
Davek
76 Posts
I have owned one of these and agree that they are a hoot to ride and mine was very reliable-in fact a mate of mine still has it (I sold it in 1995). From what I can tell from the pic the bike is missing throttle, front brake lever, clutch lever,crankcase cover,headlamp,carburettors and rubbers to the airbox (these are nearly unobtainable now).Also the back brake lever seems to be dangling at a strange angle. If everything else was ok on the bike just to put the above right would not be a cheap fix as parts are not readily available or cheap. I would not view the price they are asking as a bargain but thats just my 10 pence worth.:)

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hadn't/ haven't seen it in the flesh, boy you guys have eagle eyes (and the voice of experience) My car has had teminal-itis at the MoT station so gonna make another deposit at the Scrapyard in the sky :angel10:Looking to get £100 for it, then pay half of that for the rubbish MoT:confused:

Still, we are all happy and healthy (well healthy anyway:cool:)

We are thinking of going down to one car till the autumn, so might need something more upto speed (roadworthy- wise) but guess that's the pile of pennies I'll be looking at (My Bimbler has a set of Nobblies on and commute would see them off quicker than I'd like)

Cheers anyway

·
Registered
35 Posts
...... and front calipers are missing.

I used to work at Kawasaki dealers early 80's and these are a really good motor. Cam chain tensioner was the weak point on KZ400/500/650/750 models. Never had a cam chain go, but always a good idea to fit the updated tensioner that was available and the chain guides.
Stick taper bearings in headstock and after that good for a lot of miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
you can come up and try my old rattlebox Shack

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Two of my mates had them back in the 70/80's, I rode both and remember that they were damned good bikes. Best of luck with yours :thumb:

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
umm shack no zorst, no carbs, but plenty of bits on fleabay, starter clutches tend to be a weak point but can be done with engine in situ, TBH for what you will spend on that you would get a complete runnner on ebay

·
Registered
130 Posts
Kawasaki KZ650

Hi all, all I ever seem to do is post requests on the chatter for peoples experiences on different cars and bikes.
Well on my search for a bargain I came across this, a local okay-ish bike shop.

Last conversation with them (about a Triumph) they said they no longer do test rides on second hand machines (and not sure/ doubt it has an MoT anyway)

But what do people think/ know? t'interweb said engine pretty bulletproof, better in a straight line than a twisty but that's about it.

Ta Muchly

Andy
I own a 1977 Z750B twin. They were built on the Z650 frame (and gearbox from what I've learnt). The frames have a lot in common with cooked pasta. The 750 is known for not overpowering it's frame and actually being able to corner reasonably well. That said I can feel the frame flexing all over the place when cornering.
The engine on the other hand should be almost bullet proof. I owned a GTz750 from '85 to '98 and it would still go strong while drinking a litre of oil every 1500km in the first 10,000km that I owned it. That said those old Kawasaki fours will drink up to 1 litre of oil in 5000km when the engine is freshly rebuilt, especially on long touring rides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts