Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After been away from bikes for a good few years I realise that I no longer no whats good and whats not where the above are concerned.

I have decided on a Bike which is a "MY00 XRV750 Africa Twin" which I am collecting in a week or so, a helmet "the SHOEI HORNET DS in Matt Grey with a tinted visor" but haven't a clue what to get where the rest of the kit is concerned. I'm looking for water proof, warm, protective, Value for money. Basically if you where buying again what would you get. They will be for every day use.

I'm looking for a Jacket, Pants, Glooves and boots.

Any help would be great lads. :thumbup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Try Akito Desert Range, I've just kitted myself out with this and its great, good deals to be had on ebay from nightingales motorcycles,( just log on direct using the name) probably the cheapest around most places you would be paying £200+!!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the type of stuff I'm looking for alright. Nicely priced to.

Does anyone else use these and how do you rate them?

Just want future opinions before I commit to buy.

What boots and glooves do you go for?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shoei helmets are generally good. I've got an Aerostich Roadcrafter suit for summer and a Hein Gericke Cruise jacket and pants for winter. I've had the Aerostich for five years. It's very practical and I've used it everywhere from Norway to southern Spain and I'm using it every day at the time of writing. The Hein Gericke Cruise is very warm and totally waterproof,though not as tough as leather.
Ride magazine does excellent product tests on kit and is very informative.

Hope this helps a bit- welcome back to riding.
Flaco

·
Registered
25 Posts
hein gericke mate,you can,t go wrong you might pay a little more but their gear lasts forever.i,m about to replace my allseasons jacket which has seen 9 years of all weather riding and i ride 52 weeks a year.it all depends on what your budget is

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the Hein Gericke gear there on ebay it all seems to be seconds. Has anyone taken a chance on these.

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Shoei helmets are generally good. I've got an Aerostich Roadcrafter suit for summer and a Hein Gericke Cruise jacket and pants for winter. I've had the Aerostich for five years. It's very practical and I've used it everywhere from Norway to southern Spain and I'm using it every day at the time of writing. The Hein Gericke Cruise is very warm and totally waterproof,though not as tough as leather.
Ride magazine does excellent product tests on kit and is very informative.

Hope this helps a bit- welcome back to riding.
Flaco
What he said. However if you have to go for just the single suit go for the Gericke one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
yes mate i won a h/g goretex jacket not so long ago i paid £80 it looked new and touch wood no problems.this type of jacket would cost the best part of £300 new so if you are carefull what you bid on you may get a bargain,then again you could end up with a smelly,dirty,fraying sack of s--t

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Cheapest option is to buy protective gear (cordura and CE armour) and then buy cheap gore-tex ex-army/police stuff and wear that on top.

Boot and gloves, don't compromise and get gore-tex. wet cold feet and hand make the rest of you feel cold and wet even when dry.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not really bothered with price as it has to last and protect in all condition. So Hein Gericke is looking good. I'm in the Army myself and know the value of Gore-tex waterproofing only to well. Thanks for the info lads. :thumbup:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes mate i won a h/g goretex jacket not so long ago i paid £80 it looked new and touch wood no problems.this type of jacket would cost the best part of £300 new so if you are carefull what you bid on you may get a bargain,then again you could end up with a smelly,dirty,fraying sack of s--t

At those prices I think I could take a chance just he once. :thumbup:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright lads nearly there.

I'm going to go with gore-tex Glooves and Boots so any ideas on brands.

Thanks again for the help lads. :thumbup:

·
Registered
461 Posts
DIFI clothing is dutch made and very good quality for the price.

They are doing very good deals at present with about 20% off at present online.

the company is run by a biker I seem to recall, their adventure jackets and trousers and very functional with tons of vents and liners etc

website is Riderz.co.uk - i think but dont quote me on that

I would buy it if i didnt already have a winter and a summer suit.

something like £210 for the full kit

I always wear motocross boots for protection but i did have Altbergs before which were mega comfy and well made ( just i like loads of protection for my feet )

Chris
Chris.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Be careful with Gore tex gloves, if you have Heated grips they will work the opposite way and let water in :rolleyes::(

because of the heat exchange.

I wear Goretex socks in my boots at £10 each - just an idea if your on a budget

·
Registered
461 Posts
if your gonna spend that sort of money go for Sidi Couriers boots.

Comfy as hell straight out of the box and last for years.

loads of protection too

Just remebered Difi do a all in one suit that is worth a look, twas about £120 cant remember if it was waterproof but i rcall the name was Husky !

dont know why i recall the name i just do. :rolleyes:

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Try Akito Desert Range, I've just kitted myself out with this and its great, good deals to be had on ebay from nightingales motorcycles,( just log on direct using the name) probably the cheapest around most places you would be paying £200+!!
I agree, just kitted myself with this stuff also, its warm dry and looks pretty good to boot all for £160 from nightingales ......you cant go wrong :thumbup:

I cant recommend Oxtar/TCX infinity boots (Gortex) enough...........again my feet have always stayed warm and dry even in sustained driving rain, I seen them at £155.00 on ebay, I'll definitely be looking to get an other pair when these give up the ghost

·
Registered
293 Posts
if your gonna spend that sort of money go for Sidi Couriers boots.

Comfy as hell straight out of the box and last for years.

loads of protection too
Agree there,best boot I bought :thumbup:

There's a Hein Ger store in Newry by the way :thumbup:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agree there,best boot I bought :thumbup:

There's a Hein Ger store in Newry by the way :thumbup:
Planty to think about so lads. Thanks for all the info and thanks for the heads up on the store in Newry Lam. :thumbleft:

I'll get to that shop and check sizes and stuff as I'm 6ft 3 and then get to work looking for the best deal once I know what fits.

But I have decided to go with the shoei helmet and the Oxtar Infinity Gore-Tex Boots for now.

Thanks again lads. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you are going to be touring on the continent look for something with at least 1 waterproof zipped pocket for dosh and toll tickets - saves handing over soggy bits of paper to the (long suffering) attendants..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts