Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just can't figure out why this guy did it...are our members from that area and their families ok..?
I can't just work out what flips in a man's head to grab a gun and start shooting other human beings at random...:(

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I have read some reports that said he sought medical attention at a local hospital on Tuesday night due to his state of mind but was turned away...

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I have read some reports that said he sought medical attention at a local hospital on Tuesday night due to his state of mind but was turned away...
guess they will blame social services and stop ALL guns other than the illegal ones........

demobing one of our guys as a family member was among the dead...

shocking.. truely shocking beggers explanation but human naturing being what it is we will all look for one..

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
There will be repercussions due to this, but as usual shut the gate after the horse has bolted.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Its tragic and shocking and I really dont know how someone can do this - they really must have flipped in some way as it is not normal behaviour.

I expect the usual clamour to "do something about it", but you cannot legislate for truly irrational behaviour like this (or the Crossbow Killer or whatever he called himself in Leeds) and if this fellow and his predecessors did not have access to guns, something else would have been used instead.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
many stupid senseless ways of ending a life journey but this is one of the most incomprehensable...
my heart goes out to those affected by this madness...

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
horrific, but if he didnt have a gun he couldve just got a hammer and a hatchet out of the shed and used that. this will be used as an excuse to take more guns away from perfectly normal legal owners.
lots of new laws came out after dunblane and they did nothing to stop gun crime (in fact its increased three fold since then), because only 5% of crimes involving guns were with weapons the police even knew were in the country. its easier than its ever been to get hold of an illegal gun and the police have no idea how many there are here. at least with legal ownership and a decent licensing system they could keep track of things, and if a weapon was stolen in a burglary they knew about it, whereas nobody would report their illegal gun stolen.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
shocking and tragic....it's like a story from the states not here. it said tonight on the news that 100 detectives were piecing together the events leading up to the event..

thats a lot of police to shut just one stable door.

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
the police have no idea how many there are here
Don't worry the government will have an amnesty and all those illegal guns will be exposed and destroyed, because as we all know the criminals want to give them up................yeah right!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Just can't figure out why this guy did it...are our members from that area and their families ok..?
I can't just work out what flips in a man's head to grab a gun and start shooting other human beings at random...:(
Maybe your looking at the view that everbody is a decent person maybe the guy was a bit of a nut case but was still issued a firearms license it's not like the police ever get it wrong is it!!. Dunblane the police gave a firearms license to someone they knew had been in and out of the nut house and look what happened..
personlly i think the lakes was a weak man and it was a cry for help attention seeking....
But end of the day i think we have to say *u*k him and thoughts go to the familys of the dead who are left behind, lets worry about the ones are fighting for their lives..
We all know what will happen on the next few days now the anti gun lobby will argue for even more rediculuosy tight laws for gun ownership so people who keep them legally won't be able too and all the illegal pistols, rifles and shotguns will stay on the street..

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree, this has little to do with licensed guns and much more to do with human brain flipping out for sme misterious reasons. I have owned handled guns for years both in the army and out. My dad has always had legal guns in the house and nothing ever happened.
If a guy freacks out he doesn't have to own a gun to do what this guy did, bow and arrow,hammer, kitchen knife .....anything would have done the job....imho anyway....

·
Registered
395 Posts
If a guy freacks out he doesn't have to own a gun to do what this guy did, bow and arrow,hammer, kitchen knife .....anything would have done the job....imho anyway....
trouble is, with a knife or a hammer there is a chance he would have been stopped after 2 or 3. Wrestled to the ground by bystanders etc

A gun allows someone to reach 12 - 13 with no problems, it also allows it to be less personal for the person doing the killing.

Anyway, all that aside, i heard a rumour that he was dis-satisfied with the way his mothers will had been handled. One of the dead is supposed to have been the solicitor and another was apparently his brother.

However i am hearing this second hand so take it with the usual pinch of salt

·
Registered
585 Posts
My question is how/why this killing spree was allowed to go on for so long. I listened to a blow by blow account on Radio Five and his route was quite well plotted. Road blocks, helicopter surveillance, armed response units, stinger etc. never seemed to be mentioned. I know things are never as simple as they seem but I didn't hear of any of these measures being deployed during a quite lengthy 'pursuit'. According to the radio there was no shortage of helicopters in the air, but none seemed to be either surveying or pursuing this madman.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
My question is how/why this killing spree was allowed to go on for so long. I listened to a blow by blow account on Radio Five and his route was quite well plotted. Road blocks, helicopter surveillance, armed response units, stinger etc. never seemed to be mentioned. I know things are never as simple as they seem but I didn't hear of any of these measures being deployed during a quite lengthy 'pursuit'. According to the radio there was no shortage of helicopters in the air, but none seemed to be either surveying or pursuing this madman.
that was the first thing that struck me actually, apparently his spree lasted for three hours and you imagine the first 999 call reporting someone shot dead and the gunman sped off you would expect them to instantly mobilise an armed-response unit and helicopter how come it took so long?

seems like a long time given modern police resources

1 - 17 of 17 Posts