Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for any sort of advice from anyone who has ridden to Scotland.

I'm doing the trip in July and need advice on everything including:

Best route (Scenic would be quite nice)
Accomodation
Times/distances involved

Any other advice would be good - nothing will be irrelevant. :wink:

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Pic's of the Haggis Run last year ...

http://www.xrv.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1829

Are you touring Scotland or do you just want to get to John O' Groats for a run back down?

If you're just going for the top then go up the A9, but what a waste...! Instead head north and west from Glasgow and ride up the west coast...and allow at least three days to get to the far north :twisted:

Have a great trip!

S

·
0 Posts
Hi matey, just got back from the very same trip (but other way round)
It really depends on how much time you have. If like me you need to get a wiggle on, then prepare for a lot of motorway. M5-M6 is a lot nicer than M42-M1/A1(m) Traffic is generally lighter, and it gets pretty after the M55. I'd keep away from west coast of Scotland as (a rule) it cops for the worst of the weather. Also the A9, the main route north, starts from Perth. Either the A702 or A7 will get you to Edinburgh and both are nice, with the A7 pipping it. I went up that way but came back via the A68/A69/A686 which was lovely. Another thing to remember, the A9 might not have a lot of speed cameras but it is patrolled by unmarked coppers who also have a Hyabusa!!
You might like to pick your way to the top and take the A93 (past glenshee) then the A939 to Inverness. I don't think anywhere could be more scenic (see my pics in rideouts and piccies section)
At the bottem end of the trip, I took the A30, which was effective but boring being mainly dual carriageway. Came home on the A39, an absolute cracking road, but beware, if the tourists are out in force you won't be going anywhere fast. Sections have high hedges and blind bends.
As for the bit in the middle, well I took the motorway :cry: If you have time and want some fun (assuming you take the M5/M6 route) you could get off at Chepstow, pick your way to the A49 near Monmouthand blat up though the borders to the M56 then go on from there :D Another lovely road as long as the caravans aren't with you.
If you are short for time bear in mind Scotland is bigger than you think and nearly all your travelling will be on 'A' roads, Holiday traffic 'A' roads, so allow for 40mph average at best (allowing for stops). It took me 9-10 hours to get to the A69 from J-o-G and about the same again to Landsend.
As for accomodation, I had B&B in Freswick (the farmhouse B&B sorry you'll have to google them I've lost the number :oops: ) which was very nice for 18 quid, though I suspect rates will rise peak season. My other two stops were youth hostels and I heartily recommend them :D 15 quid for members, 18 for non members. You can book in as late as 10pm and you can either self cater or they will provide a breakie at reasonable rates. Sorry to say it again, but you'll have to google YHA as well, but they have hostels all over the country and the one I stopped in at St Just, cornwall, was splendid :D . The other thing I like about Youth hostels is the people who use them. I met some really interesting, informative people, who were great company after 10 hours of singing silly songs in my helmet to myself :oops: Because of time constraints, I didn't consider camping. I didn't like the thought of pitching a tent in the rain after 10hours in the saddle, or packing one away then riding 500 miles :evil:
Most important bit of advise is enjoy it :D I may well be teaching Granma to suck the perverbial, but whats the point of having a life moment journey if it flashes passed you in a blur?
That it, can't think of anything else. If you've got any questions about anything send me a message direct, I'd be glad to help if I can :D Best of luck and i hope the weather/roads are as kind to you as they were to me :D :D :wink:

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wicked cheers guys, very helpful.

We've booked 2 weeks off to do the whole thing which should be enough (?!).

The plan is to leave 22 July and arrive in Sconny Botland 24th July; stopping in Leicester and Newcastle.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
chronyx said:
Wicked cheers guys, very helpful.

We've booked 2 weeks off to do the whole thing which should be enough (?!).

The plan is to leave 22 July and arrive in Sconny Botland 24th July; stopping in Leicester and Newcastle.
you swine i wish i could come :roll: make sure you take plenty of pics :D

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny you say that - we're taking her laptop so that we can dump as many pics/videos etc on there as we need to.

Also, we're staying in Travelodges so I might try and get some sort of deal with them for the pics/story...a long shot, but hey!

Would love to camp but don't have room for tent/towels/sleeping bags etc. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts