Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
White van man
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the hankering to restore an old classic car for some time.

But i wanted something that would be usable when it's done.

So, i thought an Old Land Rover would fit the bill.

Got this the weekend, very cheap, series 2, built in 1960 for the RAF.

Are there tablets to cure this?

It's gonna need a bit of work :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
is it kymmy or jenna who are into these things? someone on here is i seem to remember...................

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts

It's gonna need a bit of work :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
wooohoo treadtrader - !! welcome to the wonderful world of landrovers...

ive restored mine twice now and i love it more and more each day - there is serious tension between the @ and the lr when they are both in the garage...

great site for advice is this: im on it as R0vers too...

any help needed or advice just shout!!

good luck with it...:thumbup:

·
White van man
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wooohoo treadtrader - !! welcome to the wonderful world of landrovers...

ive restored mine twice now and i love it more and more each day - there is serious tension between the @ and the lr when they are both in the garage...

great site for advice is this: im on it as R0vers too...

any help needed or advice just shout!!

good luck with it...:thumbup:
Yes, i joined that a forum a few weeks ago when i first saw this well cared for example. :D
Have'nt posted yet, but soon i think.
We also have a Disco 200TDI in the family, plus my missus spent years as a parts manager for a Landy dealer. She has a lot of knowledge of Landys.
Time to polish my Whitworth spanners off.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I knew two people who were 'old' Landrover mad. They were both very poor most of the time due to the constant repairs and upkeep.

I tried talking them out of it, but they always had this misty eyed stare and used to repeat the word 'Landy' over and over in a hushed voice.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
I have always been into Landy's are you sure this was ex RAF as most MOD vehicles had bumperetts on each corner of their front bumper and big steel bump stops on the rear corners, someone has fitted FWH on the front. I have a hub nut box spanner if you want it. Used to strip and rebuild the engines for Saturday morning fun. Only just wayed in a steering box for a S3 yours is probably loose and steering is vague, your gear box and diff probably whines like a 4 year old in a sweet shop.
Does it have a Salisbury rear diff
Buy yourself a new MIG Welder, 4 inch angle grinder, bag full of M8 NUTS AND BOLTS dont bother with all the imperial and Whitworth stuff just cut them off and replace. The 3 I have rebuild i found pressure washing the body first makes stripping much easier then loads of paint stripper and engine cleaner.

Whilst living at home I stripped the two front hubs off my first beast and stripped it in the kitchen but Mam caught me.

Good luck any way if you want some help give us a shout and always remember When you buy a Landrover you buy a hobby for life.:thumbup:

answer to your last question. You will be skint for the time you have her!!!!!!! trust me.

·
White van man
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have always been into Landy's are you sure this was ex RAF as most MOD vehicles had bumperetts on each corner of their front bumper and big steel bump stops on the rear corners,
I live near Gaydon and the Heritage Museum are one of my customers.
Phoned my mate there and gave him the Vin and he came back with the info of year and the RAF connection. It was delivered to RAF Shropshire.
The lump is seized, so i'm gonna make that my first challenge.
If i never fix it i can chain the bikes to it for a bit of extra security. :D
Thanks for the encouragement.:thumbleft:

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
look on the bright side!! you can get the tyres cheap! .....if it ever moves far enough to need them! :confused::rolleyes:

Dig a big hole where it is sat and throw it in there instead of your money! :D:D

good luck! I wish I had the time and money to be honest.......and an old aircraft hanger!! :thumbleft:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
First As I said pressure wash it cut the wings, roof, doors and rear tub off to check the bulk head and the tops of the chassis then more pressure washing normally MOD version had about 1/4 inch of under seal on them if yours had it will save lots of heart ache and cutting and welding. The electrical looms run inside the chassis. check the condition of the cable MOD vehicles used a very high grade wire not like the civilian ones so it might be ok, if not just cut it out and rewire or buy a new loom for John Craddocks or some where suitable. when you rebuild unless you want concours finish buy chassis clips and spot weld the clips to the chassis.
I could go on for ever about these they are addictive.:D

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
lmao, oh boy will you (or your bank manger!) regret buying an old Land Rover!!.... to say that's going to be a monster money pit is an understatement, been working on or for LR for over 20 years (professionally) and have to say i run a mile from anything leaf sprung these days!

TBH i would guess by the time you have finished 75% of the LR will have had to be replaced, its common to have to re-chassis, re-body, re-wire, re-trim... OMG your a glutton for punishment!!

·
White van man
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lmao, oh boy will you (or your bank manger!) regret buying an old Land Rover!!.... to say that's going to be a monster money pit is an understatement, been working on or for LR for over 20 years (professionally) and have to say i run a mile from anything leaf sprung these days!

TBH i would guess by the time you have finished 75% of the LR will have had to be replaced, its common to have to re-chassis, re-body, re-wire, re-trim... OMG your a glutton for punishment!!
I would'nt argue that assesment.

I'm a good scrounger though, and being the "tyre bloke" i'm useful.
:thumb:

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
I have found these guys to be very useful for parts in the past (before I realised that if I'd have saved all the money I'd spent on mig wire and gas, I could have bought a new one :rolleyes:)

A.M.D. Four Wheel Drive Unit 22 Merrylees Ind Estate Merrylees Nr Desford Leicestershire LE9 9FS tel: 01530 230023

·
Registered
220 Posts
Been into Land Rovers literally all my life and yeah echo what others have said... chassis & bulkhead are paramount they need to be solid; but with a Land Rover anything is possible it's just a big boys meccano kit. What it costs to restore, how long it takes etc will depend what you're looking to achieve, a good reliable runner or a concourse showstopper. Early series vehicles like that are getting rare now, so hold on to it. Join a club buy the mags LRO, LRM, LRE, LRW and maybe join a good forum of like-minded enthusiasts like this one, as you know is invaluable. Paddocks www.paddockspares.com are generally a good supplier of pattern spares. We still use them to supply spares (even wheels and tyres) for our Land Rovers here in France. We prefer to use Land Rovers in our 4x4 business against any other marque, they are tough but even more importantly easily and relatively inexpensively fixed.

Good luck, with the project.:thumbright:

Cheers
Potski

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
the factory used to do birth certificate checks for free (but doubt is free now) which will give you the full build spec and dispatch history, think its also available from some of the Mil Veh societies too.

Parts wise the market got carved about 10 years ago with a load of crap quality clone bits which are not worth their weight in scrap, even the big suppliers have let it infiltrate their ranges so be very careful what you buy, as a rule of thumb most Allmakes and Britpart suff is ok with a little crap, Bearmach stuff though is mostly cloned junk!.

Used Craddocks for many years but they hiked prices up so switched to Paddocks, that said the guys at Island 4x4 have some very good prices (buy off the website not ebay and its post free!) but no idea on what leaf spring stuff they do as i only buy coiled and V8 :thumb:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Agree Paddock spares cheapest and post always prompt.

I've done three over the years, was out with my 1961 series 2a on Saturday and Sunday, Fiona and me took it to go hillwalking south of Dufftown, a car wouldn't have made it to the bottom of the hill! I love my old Landy, as I've a works van I only need a vehicle at the weekends at wintertime to run into town and the Landy fits the bill.
Also agree, re-chassis is the way forward, if you patch up the old one you'll just get paranoid with it over the yrs. I bought a new galvanized one for £815, built everything on to it renovated. The bulkhead was well shot, new footwells and door pillars sorted that out.
I bought mine for £10 from the local scrappy, ok admit I've spent over £3500 to get it back on the road but I know everything is sound on it and considering I've had 7yrs of running out of it now it's been a bargain! Admit the gearbox/transfer box is whiny, hardly hear the engine over them! But I love it to bits and treat it every Chrimbo! It got a front prop this yr, last yr a back prop, next yr I'm treating it to new parabolic springs on the front! Back springs are ok, fronts starting to hit stops. Munro gas shocks all round and decent radial tyres.
My opinion, if you want a hobby, there's not much better than an oversized meccano set like an old Landy, great to have something to show for your effort! I took 17 months to do my last one. No regrets. It's not the money sponge a Discovery can be!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

I've always fancied doing an old land rover lightweight restoration/project however time and room seems to get in the way.......

try this guy for spares as well he's a friend of mine Steven Toyer Landrovers
http://www.landrovercornwall.com/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts