Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need peoples help...my laptop (a dell insperon m5030) has died after 2 years Stirling service. It wasn't top of the range but it did get a bit too sluggish towards the end.
I have a budget of £500 to get a replacement and have seen a Samsung (np350v5c) on Amazon. It is an i5 3210m 2.5Ghz, 6gb ram, 500gb hdd. It's priced at £420, which I think is OK, but I need to be sure. Is there anyone who can say whether I'd be wasting my money or have a better suggestion.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
That will run like the wind.
But, to make sure, when you get it, go to programs and remove everything with Samsung in it.
I'm not blaming Samsung, it is just all bloat ware and it slows your machine.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Get down to your local pcworld and look at the machines on display.
Once you have made up your mind check out the prices on amazon etc and buy from the best priced deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
117 Posts
Save a little more and get a Macbook. I had a few laptops that all died in the end but the Macbook keeps going, they are harder against hackers and viruses. More expensive to buy, different to use (you'll get the hang of it) but couldn't recommend them enough!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yes you do need to decide what you want to do with it.
Internet browsing, online films, films on DVD, photo editing, desktop publishing, whatever.
Do you want on-the-move computing or a computing at different locations (a portable desktop)
I use a laptop as a portable desktop, ie plug it in at various locations instead of having a desktop at each location.
Many outlets have ex demo laptops for sale with no battery at very reduced prices. Mine was ~ 1/2 price. Normally not advertised online only in the stores (Comet, PCWorld etc). They need plugging or buy a battery (£30ish for mine) but check they are available cheaply for your model before you buy!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input, everyone. I went for the Tohiba I mentioned above and am playing on it now. There was no way I could have saved any more to get an Apple, I needed a device asap so that and the fact that I can't stand apple ruled that out. As I have kids who will be using the laptop as well I thought that I would get the best I could for the money I had. That way we should have all our needs satisfied.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I wanted a laptop for home I just looked for best spec dell i5 in my budget with 3-year warranty on ebay with Windows 7 (essential now I've used it a while)
I got a E5410 for about £400 ish dell refurb
Great machine. VERY similar to my works machine - which was the reason for the choice really

Just had a peep and there's literally hundreds on at the moment at £400 ish
Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts